Thread: The Early-/Mid-/Late- Life Crisis Thread

Default The Early-/Mid-/Late- Life Crisis Thread

Are you having an early-/mid-/late- life crisis? Or know someone who does? If so, this is a place to unload.

One of my mentors, who is Chinese, recently revealed that she wants to work in China, after working in the US for 20 years. Asked about her family in the US, she said they're not in the equation. She describes having a mid life crisis. In a way, I was very happy for her, because I rarely see Chinese people do something for themselves after marriage and children. It seems they do everything for their family. It's good to see my mentor take a stance for herself and "find herself". She would make appropriate arrangements for her husband and kids before leaving, but beyond that, this is all about her.

I am going through a similar self-exploration phase. One could even say for the last 2 years I've done nothing except pursuing knowledge and thinking (and admittedly not taking enough action). I want to figure out how I can be useful to society; I dream about being one with my career: I am what I do, and what I do is me. Thus, I want to find the work that I'm passionate about AND excel at.

What am I all about? I hope to find the answer soon.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I probably had a bit of a quarter-life crisis some time back, but then I reminded myself of existentialism.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I am going through a similar self-exploration phase. One could even say for the last 2 years I've done nothing except pursuing knowledge and thinking (and admittedly not taking enough action). I want to figure out how I can be useful to society; I dream about being one with my career: I am what I do, and what I do is me. Thus, I want to find the work that I'm passionate about AND excel at.

I did almost the exact same thing, that is, I spent some time doing something new and unfamiliar. Well...good things and bad things came out of it, and I'd say it was a lesson well learned in the end. The hardest part of all of this, is having a goal that is true and attainable for yourself. You really do have to know what you want to be able to figure out how to get there. If you don't know what you want though, it's much more difficult to plan towards. If you know who you are inside, then it might be much easier to figure out what you want to do in life. I've come to realize certain aspects of my personality that I did not know of or even recognize I possessed before. This greatly helped me in realizing how I could contribute to bettering society and empowering disadvantaged people. However, I don't think it's necessary for all people to have such goals in life. It's okay to do what you want even if it's not useful to society or the greater good of humanity; it only has to be meaningful to you.

Well, in short, GOOD LUCK! I'm having trouble right now with being side tracked from my ultimate goal...hopefully I can get back into shape soon.
    I like me.

Hmm....yeah, I guess this would apply to me now. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing with my life.

Things seem so pointless...life seems so pointless. I hate being stuck in this cycle.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://larepublica.pe/blogs/comics_info/files/2009/01/final_crisis_sketchbook_1024x768.jpg')

I want to figure out how I can be useful to society; I dream about being one with my career: I am what I do, and what I do is me. Thus, I want to find the work that I'm passionate about AND excel at.

Great to hear that. For me, I am thinking of doing volunteer work full-time, possibly in 5 years time. Something which I think will be useful to society, yes, passionate about. Excelling may not be an important motive, so long as I have the heart and time to contribute.

i had one a few years ago......was a major crisis.... i was driven mad by it even.

but things sorta changed...heheeh...now life's become exciting again.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Hmm....yeah, I guess this would apply to me now. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing with my life.

Things seem so pointless...life seems so pointless. I hate being stuck in this cycle.
    Bunbun, don't feel down, you are still young. Ask yourself, what would you like to do? Try to talk to someone older and ask for guidance.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I was having a temporary crisis with what I want to do in life. After spending the majority of last week pondering back and forth, little by little, the answer finally came to me, and I feel awakened now!

Hi bunny,

You should do something you enjoy. Think about what you're good at that makes you really happy whenever you do it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Are you having an early-/mid-/late- life crisis? Or know someone who does? If so, this is a place to unload.

One of my mentors, who is Chinese, recently revealed that she wants to work in China, after working in the US for 20 years. Asked about her family in the US, she said they're not in the equation. She describes having a mid life crisis. In a way, I was very happy for her, because I rarely see Chinese people do something for themselves after marriage and children. It seems they do everything for their family. It's good to see my mentor take a stance for herself and "find herself". She would make appropriate arrangements for her husband and kids before leaving, but beyond that, this is all about her.

Did your friend end up going to Mainland China?