Thread: How to be at peace with your Job

Default How to be at peace with your Job

SPCNETers, are you happy with your current job? Do you think your job has made you a better person in some way or another? Do you see your job as a significant part of you?

I attend high school and go to work typically three to four times per week, at the local McDonalds store in my area. Now, before I worked at this place, I used to be worker of the same company but at a different franchise in a Shopping mall - I hated the experience; the managers seemed nasty and the pay was horrible so after 3 strenuous months I quit and applied for my current store, which has been a much better experience thus far.

Although I'm much happier at my new store and I'm earning more money than I used to, some days I go into the store unmotivated and on the rare occasion, I'm irritable and upset. Part of the reason is I'm always running around, and working very hard in the Kitchen, and I'm always stocking up the meat products and moving between stations - I know this is part of the job, and I never complain because I understand my role and the duties I must do, but at times, I feel (some) of my managers and co-workers don't see how hard I'm working - I try my best to fulfill my obligations and contribute as much to the store as I possibly can. The reason I work so hard and try to do my best is because I feel like work is a big part of me; it's helped me to learn lessons in life, especially the importance of team work, and on good days, I feel proud (silly, isnt' it?) to have this job, even though I know a lot of other people would think "WTF?!"

Most people at work treat me well, and I only have issues with a few staff and my relationship with one manager in particular is not the best - she yells at me sometimes and thinks I'm an idiot and other crew in the front are always heckling us back area people to make the food items faster.

I suppose I want to know, how do the rest of you cope with your jobs? What do you do that helps you get through it when you're at a stage when you feel like giving up? Is there a philosophy that you believe in?
    Last edited by Sourplum; 05-14-09 at 09:21 AM.

think about how crappy some other people's lives are...and those who would kill to have your job (esp with the economy nowadays). at least you're better off than the homeless bum

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    SPCNETers, are you happy with your current job? Do you think your job has made you a better person in some way or another? Do you see your job as a significant part of you?

I attend high school and go to work typically three to four times per week, at the local McDonalds store in my area. Now, before I worked at this place, I used to be worker of the same company but at a different franchise in a Shopping mall - I hated the experience; the managers seemed nasty and the pay was horrible so after 3 strenuous months I quit and applied for my current store, which has been a much better experience thus far.

Although I'm much happier at my new store and I'm earning more money than I used to, some days I go into the store unmotivated and on the rare occasion, I'm irritable and upset. Part of the reason is I'm always running around, and working very hard in the Kitchen, and I'm always stocking up the meat products and moving between stations - I know this is part of the job, and I never complain because I understand my role and the duties I must do, but at times, I feel (some) of my managers and co-workers don't see how hard I'm working - I try my best to fulfill my obligations and contribute as much to the store as I possibly can. The reason I work so hard and try to do my best is because I feel like work is a big part of me; it's helped me to learn lessons in life, especially the importance of team work, and on good days, I feel proud (silly, isnt' it?) to have this job, even though I know a lot of other people would think "WTF?!"

Most people at work treat me well, and I only have issues with a few staff and my relationship with one manager in particular is not the best - she yells at me sometimes and thinks I'm an idiot and other crew in the front are always heckling us back area people to make the food items faster.

I suppose I want to know, how do the rest of you cope with your jobs? What do you do that helps you get through it when you're at a stage when you feel like giving up? Is there a philosophy that you believe in?
    Bingo, this is rather very important, if you want to look for a better job. Yes, companies does want someone who has these qualities. You're not a slacker, reliable, dependable, the go getter, and many more. People normally don't find this important in their life. I am very happy to know you actually do. It's painful I know, but in the long-run it does pay off. Incase, something worst happens you got enough courage to get through tough times. While, the lazy one's get fired too many times.

Not to be blunt, but you will be the one to clean up people's mess, like it or not. Oh well, I guess you kind of got this part nailed down. But, you know what is rather interesting is you are willing to show your given talents and skill toward fellow co-workers/manager's. This is a plus side, also they don't mind you putting out good suggestions; please don't take things personal if they ignore/discard it. This is very common in the workplace, instead find what area's in which your manager is lacking and can improve from their standpoint, in order to make a better team flow well. I had done this before and always encourage everyone to do it; received many thanks because you find value in someone else to better assist them.

I had kept in contact with my fellow co-worker's when times are hard too. Makes life alittle painless, as possible and make work alittle more enjoyable. The old saying,"Why make more friends than enemies?" or "Kept your friends close, but your enemies closer." Something like that, you never know the least person to accept to help you when you're down. But, these words of wisdom you probably learn until your in mid-40-50ish. Learned this early, then you got plenty of time to sort out other things you wanted to enjoy. Yes, RYY's comment is another good suggestion too.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 05-19-09 at 05:29 PM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

SPCNETers, are you happy with your current job?
    Not quite, but the pay is decent.

Do you think your job has made you a better person in some way or another?
    No, I don't feel the pride at work (being a worthy teamplayer), I feel depreciated.

Do you see your job as a significant part of you?
    No, and no way! Just a job to get my pay but I won't be doing this for long. I visualise myself sitting in the studio being part of an animation team. Alas, I'm nearly ready but the market for animation is not good, not as hot in employment as before.

I suppose I want to know, how do the rest of you cope with your jobs?
    Living in a "Matter is nothingness" state. Don't think! Don't feel! Don't bother! Just work and look forward to monthly salary.

What do you do that helps you get through it when you're at a stage when you feel like giving up?
    Set a goal for yourself to look forward to! Tell yourself, to order to reach there, you have to go through this sh!t now. So, hang in there!

Is there a philosophy that you believe in?
    Matter, is nothingness..... (i.e. The zombie state)
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Fall in love with your job.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Fall in love with your job.
    And consummate it by staying at work for 24 hours.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Marry the Boss, (if he is single and happened to be interested lah) and all Staff peace with you, which automatically settle Job

I feel that, as long as I receive praises and recognition, feel the pride at work... I can pretty much be at peace. Rants and frustation won't last long in me. I get happy easier than I get upset.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

^ I agree, that's entirely my point. As long as I'm treated with respect and I'm recognised for the work I put in, I'm a generally cheerful person at work, which motivates me to put more in.

^ I agree, that's entirely my point. As long as I'm treated with respect and I'm recognised for the work I put in, I'm a generally cheerful person at work, which motivates me to put more in.
    that's important to be cheerful at work. At the same time, save some money along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    that's important to be cheerful at work. At the same time, save some money along the way.
    Of course, but the more money one earns, the amount of money they spend increases, just like the amount they save. Say, for example, if I was only earning $80 as opposed to $172 a week I'd save more than I would spend. Personally, I save more money than I spend, but that's because I'm saving for 2 holidays at the end of the year which is going to cost me quite a bit of money.

I love my job, but I think most of it is not because I'm an accountant, but because I work for a Christian ministry, and I am very passionate about what the organisation does, and how it helps others is far worse situations. I think jobs are important, but you still need balance in life. Thankfully, my job is also a part of my life because the two relates in a significant way.

It has taught me many things like the need for good communication between co-workers, how to motiviate each other when things are not going well, etc. Sometimes, I do think my job is boring, because accounting is quite a snooze at times. But knowing that I have great co-workers and that what I'm doing is helping others gives me great encouragement.

It is important to take a break (vacation) once in a while. Try not to bring work-related problems at home, or vice versa. It is important to have support or friends whom you can talk to when you need advice on work. Preferrably someone who you trust or who is in the same industry as you.

As a Christian, I see that I work for the glory of God. This philosophy works for me because I have a clear goal and I know that no matter how other people act or react, I'm not interested.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Luckily I only work part-time and I basically get to choose my work schedule around my school schedule so that is a main reason why I like where I work. The people are nice and they make it like not a typical office environment, which I also like. They'd treat the employees lunch and also have gatherings every now and then. Though, it could be difficult at times especially when under pressure to get things done on time at last minute, I like working there. I view my work as if it's a break from school and family and that I get paid. To be "in the zone," I would play music. Because my work includes three different nationalities, and two different generations, therefore we have a wide variety of tastes in music. The only downside to this is that I only get paid minimum wage and no benefits, but I guess it's not too bad considering some people can't even find a job.

For me, I need easy money, so that's what I think about whenever I feel like I want to quit due to repetition. Plus, with my laziness and lack of communication skills, it's kind of perfect where I am while I'm still a full time student.

As for you, Sourplum. I don't think you're still working at McDonald's now, but if you are then best of luck to you. I don't know how it is working at a fast food but I can only imagine what a pain it is to do the same thing everyday and dealing with lots of different people, which can be quite irritable at times. If you're still working there, then do think about how much you really need the money and that someone else out there does have it worse than you.

I don't know how it is working at a fast food but I can only imagine what a pain it is to do the same thing everyday
    Most jobs require people to do the same thing everyday.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Banned

quite agree with you!

Banned

haha~no more to say~

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Most jobs require people to do the same thing everyday.
    try mine, everyday's different.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Banned

just smile, smile, smile, and smile~

Quote Originally Posted by biwoxingfu View Post
    just smile, smile, smile, and smile~

I have irritated many people with my smiles; I just happily do my work and suddenly there are people angry with me because I always wear an annoying grin. Humans are weird, really.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.