Thread: Would you mind being shipped like cargo if it meant traveling less expensively?

Default Would you mind being shipped like cargo if it meant traveling less expensively?

Traveling overseas is expensive. Even with the best deals, an international flight costs hundreds of dollars...maybe even thousands if you want the best of luxuries.

If you just want to get there, however, and really don't give a damn about amenities, would you mind being shipped to your destination like cargo? The fee would be minimal...about the same as sending a package through the mail. There'd be no luxuries (bring your own food and drink and whatever else you might need), but you'll get there safely and inexpensively. Would you go for that?

I'm someone who will pay more for comfort. I consider that part of the trip and arriving grouchy is no way to start a vacation.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Not unless I'm participating in some sort of reality show with a group of exciting people.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

not unless I was smuggling drugs or something

No, being thrown around does not sound fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Traveling overseas is expensive. Even with the best deals, an international flight costs hundreds of dollars...maybe even thousands if you want the best of luxuries.

If you just want to get there, however, and really don't give a damn about amenities, would you mind being shipped to your destination like cargo? The fee would be minimal...about the same as sending a package through the mail. There'd be no luxuries (bring your own food and drink and whatever else you might need), but you'll get there safely and inexpensively. Would you go for that?
    Wait that sounds like United Airlines. I was stuck between two HUGE cargos who brought their own three course meal.

No I wouldn't travel as a cargo. If only business class cost a bit less.
    Last edited by yittz; 05-21-09 at 04:37 AM.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Not if I don't have access to the loo, LOL.

AFAIK, those cargo area is a security area, not a thoroughfare or a place where you can walk around, you will need to stay there in your *cargo* for the whole duration of the flight.

You don't want to arrive at your destination smell like shit, literally, do you?
    Last edited by rosely; 05-21-09 at 08:00 AM.

I think I'd go for this. I could deal with it for a few hours. And I'd be saving so much money to spend there!
    You gotta make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

I think you have to care about your safety if something goes wrong and cargo is not safe. I wouldn't go for business or first class seats that cost thousand but I wouldn't go for cheap cargo either. Economy seat is good enough for me as currently it's the cheapest you can get.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 10-04-09 at 09:27 AM.

You mean being stuffed into a crate or something?

No thanks.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    You mean being stuffed into a crate or something?
    No crate, but no cushioned seats either.

I imagine the minimal accommodations would include a safety harness or something so that you wouldn't go sliding across the deck during turbulence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    No crate, but no cushioned seats either.

I imagine the minimal accommodations would include a safety harness or something so that you wouldn't go sliding across the deck during turbulence.
    I prefer a more extreme situations. I prefer to be tied to the wheel area of the aeroplane and the wheel stay outside of the plane, so that I can enjoy the breeze and all those gorgeous clouds and the lovely hurricane and stuffs, yay

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    I prefer a more extreme situations. I prefer to be tied to the wheel area of the aeroplane and the wheel stay outside of the plane, so that I can enjoy the breeze and all those gorgeous clouds and the lovely hurricane and stuffs, yay
    There is also the minor problems of breathing at that altitude, pressure differences and traveling at speeds much greater than say when putting your head out of the window on the highway.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    There is also the minor problems of breathing at that altitude, pressure differences and traveling at speeds much greater than say when putting your head out of the window on the highway.
    Haha, I guess I'll be dead in what, 30 seconds at that speed and altitude lol

of cos not. i rather pay more than being uncomfortable. as if long hours on flight isnt tiring enough ~ i dont wanna compromise on basic comfort.

I think it is fine for me. So long as I can reach the other side safely.

Others may have pointed this out already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_McKinley
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR