Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching ESL in South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing View Post
    would love 2 do taiwan or japan for a year after graduation... especially taiwan...lot of pretty girls from what i hear
    Um... don't be too sure about the pretty girls stuff. I honestly have seen a lot of unattractive girls and guys that were international students at my school. I originally thought that most Taiwanese girls would be pretty too(based on what I have seen from series, but then again those are just a small representation of the general population. Also, stars fix themselves up too) but not really... It just varies based on each individual...

My friend even told me that she saw in a Taiwanese series where a lot of the extras were ugly. She said that from the back, they looked like they would be pretty because they had long hair, were tall, etc... BUT, when they turned around... it was a different story....
    Last edited by Trinie; 05-28-09 at 02:04 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    if i do go to thailand i will tell them i don't speak thai. just to see how much crap they're talking about me cause my friend said they did talk about her. she didn't teach there but she went for the exchange student thing and she was there for a semester. she understands thai but can't speak it well so she tells them that she doesn't know it at all. she said people from just the markets to taxi drivers to professors all talked crap about everyone around. and i know they do that so i wouldn't ever stay in a big city like bkk. i'd go up north to chiang mai and around there, the cities are smaller, cost of living is less, and you actually don't breath in the polution. but that's the thing, i know thailand pretty well so i want to go some place i don't know of like korea. i know my mom would freak if she found out i was going, but she'd stop complaining when i give her my car.
    My friend could not speak Thai at all but her husband can so he was always around to translate. I am guessing they might have talked about my friend, but she did not care since she was only there for a short period of time for vacation. All she did was shop, eat and enjoy herself for the most part so she did not care what people said.

Yea, my mom is somewhat accepting of me wanting to go now, but is still scared and freaks out as usual. However, it is my life and I need to what I need to do...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Don't know about Korean hating the Chinese. But if people want to hire an English language teacher, they much prefer hiring Caucasians. Korean, Japanese, and even Chinese wrongly think Caucasians have better command of the language than others. They don't look care if have a PHD or how well your teaching skills are.

It's not fun and certainly not as rewarding if you choose to teach in a country that you are familiar with or/and speak the same language. You just don't discover and learn new things/friends every day.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    Don't know about Korean hating the Chinese. But if people want to hire an English language teacher, they much prefer hiring Caucasians. Korean, Japanese, and even Chinese wrongly think Caucasians have better command of the language than others. They don't look care if have a PHD or how well your teaching skills are.

It's not fun and certainly not as rewarding if you choose to teach in a country that you are familiar with or/and speak the same language. You just don't discover and learn new things/friends every day.
    I think that is generally true, but I am still hoping that they are now learning that English is a language that NOT only Caucasians can speak well... Therefore, even though they prefer hiring Caucasians, I think they will still like to hire Asian American teachers, especially ones that are American born and raised...

It it also true that if you teach in a country that you know well, it is not as rewarding but it is good in the sense that you are not as lost and will know your way around. However, if you have not been back to that country for a long while then you still have a lot to learn since things change and advance everyday...

i've actually taken the first couple of steps into reaching my goal.

i sent in an intent to return to a school so i can take a couple of classes and also i've called a real estate agent to come take a look at my townhouse. this is all for you guys, yunjae.

i've actually taken the first couple of steps into reaching my goal.

i sent in an intent to return to a school so i can take a couple of classes and also i've called a real estate agent to come take a look at my townhouse. this is all for you guys, yunjae.
    I am glad and am now finally getting off my lazy butt to get back into things too. I have been procrastinating so much.... Thanks to you and people here, I am finally getting back into my plans that I have been putting off... I will be coming back here for advice too... Thanks and good luck to you Gugu. I hope that we can all continue to help out and encourage each other here....GO SPCNETERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I am glad and am now finally getting off my lazy butt to get back into things too. I have been procrastinating so much.... Thanks to you and people here, I am finally getting back into my plans that I have been putting off... I will be coming back here for advice too... Thanks and good luck to you Gugu. I hope that we can all continue to help out and encourage each other here....GO SPCNETERS!!!
    awww thanks to you too trinie! you're so sweet! *hugs*
    i know it'll still be a few years before i do actually go, because i need to take care of everything here first. omg! what if i really do end up loving south korea? i'd end up living there for years! that would be awesome! i love to learn new languages! maybe when you do go and do your teaching and i happen to be in korea, we can meet up or something. as of right now i'm also planning on taking a trip around asia before i come back to america. we'll see how it goes, okay? you'll have to take me around when i come to your country and i'll take you around if you want to come to south korea or to thailand!

awww thanks to you too trinie! you're so sweet! *hugs*
    i know it'll still be a few years before i do actually go, because i need to take care of everything here first. omg! what if i really do end up loving south korea? i'd end up living there for years! that would be awesome! i love to learn new languages! maybe when you do go and do your teaching and i happen to be in korea, we can meet up or something. as of right now i'm also planning on taking a trip around asia before i come back to america. we'll see how it goes, okay? you'll have to take me around when i come to your country and i'll take you around if you want to come to south korea or to thailand!
    You are welcome and thanks to you too GuGu sweetie! *Hug to you as well*. I have been wanting to go for awhile now but had a number of things I had to take care of as well. I admit that I just was not ready when I first graduated last year since I just wanted to take some time off and relax because I worked hard in school for many many years. I was really worn out. Oh so it will not be awhile until you go? I hope to go as soon as I can but don't want to rush myself either.

I won't be surprised if you do because that may happen to me as well... My friends all think that I will fall in love and not come back to America. This one fortune teller told me that but lets see if he is right...My teacher ended up living in Japan for 6 years since he liked it so much... Yea, if you come when I am in Taiwan or anywhere, I would definately take you around....It would be great if we can meet one day overseas. Gosh, that would be a dream come true for me....I also have a buddy in South Korea that hopes that I will visit her if I come to Taiwan to teach... That would be cool if we can all hang out together...

Lets all keep in touch and share all of our experiences...Where do you plan on going on your Asia trip? You are so lucky to get to go to so many places.. I want to go but am broke... Hey, but it is good to work and travel at the same time.. THat is one of the main reasons why I chose TESOL as my major in grad school.
    Last edited by Trinie; 05-29-09 at 12:38 AM.

You are welcome and thanks to you too GuGu sweetie! *Hug to you as well*. I have been wanting to go for awhile now but had a number of things I had to take care of as well. I admit that I just was not ready when I first graduated last year since I just wanted to take some time off and relax because I worked hard in school for many many years. I was really worn out. Oh so it will not be awhile until you go? I hope to go as soon as I can but don't want to rush myself either.
    It's just beginning after you leave school. For most people, life usually get much hard because you now have to worry about money, work, wife and kids. Any one of them can drive you crazy.

Most schools/companies require 2 recent photos along with your cover letter and resume.

Many teachers have shared their experiences on youtube. Just look them up. They are pretty interesting, and some offer very good advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jsYSQOpaZw

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    It's just beginning after you leave school. For most people, life usually get much hard because you now have to worry about money, work, wife and kids. Any one of them can drive you crazy.

Most schools/companies require 2 recent photos along with your cover letter and resume.

Many teachers have shared their experiences on youtube. Just look them up. They are pretty interesting, and some offer very good advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jsYSQOpaZw
    I know that but thanks for reminding me. Now that I think about it, life in school was not that bad. After we graduate is when we really start to enter the real world with worries about work, money, family,etc.. I found it easier for me when I was still in school because if people asked me what I was doing, I would just say that I was still attending school... But now that they know that I graduated, they always ask if I have found a job yet and what I am doing... Gosh, it is not even their business either...Yea, I have looked up many schools companies and they require scans of your degrees, your recent pix, resume,etc..Oh yea speaking of cover letter, I need to write mine sometime...

Yea, I will look at what other teachers have said on youtube...Some companies also have testomonies of others that have been through their company. Thanks again! I will be starting my own thread about this later on...
    Last edited by Trinie; 05-29-09 at 02:25 PM.

I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you're taking the adventure, i'm sure you'll have an experience you'll remember for the rest of your life. Yeah, you better start a thread/blog and update us from the first day you arrive in Taiwan. I'm excited for you!

If you're still in Asia when I do finally go to South Korea then we'd definitely have to meet. I can come see you if you'd like on my asian country hopping. I'll start north and work my way down.

Who knows maybe we'll end up in the same country without even planning it because I might decide to go to another country in a few years. I hear that Taiwan is a great place too for this kind of job.

I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you're taking the adventure, i'm sure you'll have an experience you'll remember for the rest of your life. Yeah, you better start a thread/blog and update us from the first day you arrive in Taiwan. I'm excited for you!

If you're still in Asia when I do finally go to South Korea then we'd definitely have to meet. I can come see you if you'd like on my asian country hopping. I'll start north and work my way down.

Who knows maybe we'll end up in the same country without even planning it because I might decide to go to another country in a few years. I hear that Taiwan is a great place too for this kind of job.
    Thanks but I still have a quite a ways to go before I finally go on my adventure so I don't want to jinx myself.... I still have sooo much planning and sooo many things to do. I am also still fighting with some of my family members so it is still awhile before anything big happens for me.My brother went to Australia and that was an experience that he never forgot so he really inspires me to do so too. Oh yea, I definately will keep in touch with you and everyone here and my family and friends when I do come one day since I want to share my adventures with everyone...

Yea, if I am still there when you come, I pray that we will meet since I hope to visit South Korea when I am there. It would be great to hop to and from countries while we still get the chance...

When do you plan on teaching overseas?? Hey, if you do change your mind, it would be great if we end up in Taiwan together. It is great to hear that Taiwan is a great place for my type of job... I will be asking you guys for advice here about it so beware...
    Last edited by Trinie; 05-30-09 at 12:40 AM.

Yay, let us all go to S. Korea. I also intend to go there next year.

The KOGIA (Korea Game Industry Agency) has this program - Game Development Awareness that offering places for 6 months computer games development course for South East Asian countries university faculty members with an allowance of a USD1000 per month and a student hall.

I can then stalk Sung Yuri during the weekend LOL.

When considering moving to South Korea for work, there's one point that must not be overlooked:

NORTH Korea

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/dictators/kim-jong-il/kim_jong_il_smile.jpg')

Ok, I am not sure if you guys are still coming this thread but I finally getting back to my job search again(thanks GuGu and my brother and mom who keep on encouraging me).... I sort of regret wasting my time all this time.... I can't believe it has been nearly a year ever since I graduated with my masters. I will be starting my own thread but just wanted to ask you guys one question. Most of the teaching EFL jobs are only a one year contract so in most cases, are we allowed to renew our contracts?? I want to stay abroad for at least 2-3 years. I heard that you can, especially if the schools like you but just want to make sure...

Ok, I am not sure if you guys are still coming this thread but I finally getting back to my job search again(thanks GuGu and my brother and mom who keep on encouraging me).... I sort of regret wasting my time all this time.... I can't believe it has been nearly a year ever since I graduated with my masters. I will be starting my own thread but just wanted to ask you guys one question. Most of the teaching EFL jobs are only a one year contract so in most cases, are we allowed to renew our contracts?? I want to stay abroad for at least 2-3 years. I heard that you can, especially if the schools like you but just want to make sure...
    ahhh.... i'm in the same phase as you now. i'm looking for a job. don't worry, when i graduated with my master's it took me half year to find a job. and now after 2 years since my master's, i'm looking for a new job now.

yes, if the place you're working for likes you and you want to stay with them then it's very common that people will renew their contracts. many of the teachers i know have been at the same school for 3 to 5 years. but for me i think i'd want to move around and experience different parts of the country.

KEN: yes, i have been keeping up with that fella. he's a trouble maker for sure. but you know what? he's not going to stop me from going to south korea.... maybe he can stop me from coming back but he aint stopping me from going there.

KEN: yes, i have been keeping up with that fella. he's a trouble maker for sure. but you know what? he's not going to stop me from going to south korea.... maybe he can stop me from coming back but he aint stopping me from going there.
    You're braver than I've given you credit for.

I only wish you could put a bullet in the bastard's head for the free world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    You're braver than I've given you credit for.

I only wish you could put a bullet in the bastard's head for the free world.
    before i do that i'd rather go to burma and free Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    ahhh.... i'm in the same phase as you now. i'm looking for a job. don't worry, when i graduated with my master's it took me half year to find a job. and now after 2 years since my master's, i'm looking for a new job now.
    Hey Ghaleon,
    Nice to see you here... I thought you were happy with your current job? Why do you want to change jobs?? I actually could have had a job right away if I went abroad immediately uopn my graduation, but I didn't feel like I was ready. I now am getting to that point and don't want too much more time to pass. What kind of job are you looking for?? Good luck and keep me posted. I will keep you updated if you want to know about mine.