Thread: Meetup dot com

Default Meetup dot com

For those who dunno, this is a website where people can create common interest groups and organize outings and meet new people who share similar interests. I've heard of this for a while but never tried it.

Last week a couple of friends did something rotten and pissed me off, so I decided to try this out and meet some new friends which I really hadn't done much of since graduation last year. I joined a Chinese language exchange group which meets literally a couple of blocks away from my job.

I actually had a good time. There were a few creepy middle aged white dudes there who "wanted to learn Chinese," and no hot girls as expected (for the guys who wonder) but I didn't go there for that anyway. A couple of people were the type who you could tell have no friends cuz of annoying personalities (the type that doesn't know how to talk to people -- they'll yap none stop about sith and think they are crazy interesting), but most people I met were cool.

Anyone else try this before?
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

No. My friends and boyfriend keep me busy. The friends I hang out with the most are also those who share the most similar interests to me, so I doubt I'd use a website like this.
    That said, I'm willing to meet up with people I meet online (through forums or something) provided that I've actually talked to them and that they're interesting people.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    No. My friends and boyfriend keep me busy. The friends I hang out with the most are also those who share the most similar interests to me, so I doubt I'd use a website like this.
    That said, I'm willing to meet up with people I meet online (through forums or something) provided that I've actually talked to them and that they're interesting people.
    am i interesting
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    For those who dunno, this is a website where people can create common interest groups and organize outings and meet new people who share similar interests. I've heard of this for a while but never tried it.

Last week a couple of friends did something rotten and pissed me off, so I decided to try this out and meet some new friends which I really hadn't done much of since graduation last year. I joined a Chinese language exchange group which meets literally a couple of blocks away from my job.

I actually had a good time. There were a few creepy middle aged white dudes there who "wanted to learn Chinese," and no hot girls as expected (for the guys who wonder) but I didn't go there for that anyway. A couple of people were the type who you could tell have no friends cuz of annoying personalities (the type that doesn't know how to talk to people -- they'll yap none stop about sith and think they are crazy interesting), but most people I met were cool.

Anyone else try this before?
    i have to say, if there's no hot girl i'm not interested. but the truth to be told, that's not someplace where you would expects hot girls (or even girls AT ALL).

i'd never use a site like that just because i have no problem meeting new people on a weekly basis. plus, i prefer it the old-fashioned way.. through friends, at parties/events, etc.
    i don't mind meeting ppl from forums though.. only if i'm sure they're.. "normal" enough. though i haven't yet so it's still a new thing to me.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I check it out, LOL it's cool.

Check this out:

http://newintown.meetup.com/174/
    http://startrek.meetup.com/318/

An SPCNET meetup can also be created, well based on places etc. It give you the facility to manage things. Who want to come, what activities, when etc.

Not just for meeting new people but also for your existing friends and colleague.

I guess many of you here don't even visit the website before making your comments LOL. Don't be a lazy-arse forumer. Type a little, click a little, visit something and broaden your horizons.

Yeah it was better than I expected. I don’t blame people for instinctively thinking of it like loser gathering or something, but most of the people there were normal folks – some more outgoing, some shier, just like at a regular party.

I just wanna meet some new friends. Kinda gets boring with the same friends. I am attached so I don’t care whether there are hot chicks there or not (of course it'd be better if there was, but it's not a priority).

I just used dnd.meetup.com a couple of days ago to find a game in my area. It's a pretty good tool for finding people with similar interests. Having said that it helps to have an interest that act as a filtering mechanism of sorts. If you're just bored, and want to meet new people, you're going to find all sorts.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

i've tried it and like it! i had to because i wanted to my dog to have friends and learn to be socialize with other small dogs. then i stopped once i got my doggy a friend. =) it was worth it. not a loser meetup group in any way.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

why is it that guys want to meet hot girls and all that in all this?

Frank and the beans.