Thread: Passport Renewal questions

Default Passport Renewal questions

Hi guys!
    I was going to renew my passport and was wondering how much does it now cost to renew our passport? Are we required to retake our pix and are we allowed to? I hate my current passport pix...Is the post office the only place for us to renew our passport? How long does it take for our passport to get sent to us? Can we renew our passport even when it has expired yet?? Or do we have to wait for our passport to expire first?? Thanks!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I'm not familiar with the US Passport system, but I know for Canda - we have a governmental website for passport applications that'll answer all the questions you posted. I assume the US will have a similar website. It's probably easier to check that than waiting for answers here.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

My sister recently renewed her passport (book) and it cost her $95 plus $60 to have it expedited. I didn't have mine expedited and received it in a month. Yes, you can retake your picture. Actually, I think they require a new picture of you. Picture costs $20 at the postal office. It'll cost you less if you have your picture taken elsewhere. You do not have to wait until your passport expire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I'm not familiar with the US Passport system, but I know for Canda - we have a governmental website for passport applications that'll answer all the questions you posted. I assume the US will have a similar website. It's probably easier to check that than waiting for answers here.
    Really?? I have not heard of having a website to renew our passport online before. WE always had to renew it in person in the US.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    My sister recently renewed her passport (book) and it cost her $95 plus $60 to have it expedited. I didn't have mine expedited and received it in a month. Yes, you can retake your picture. Actually, I think they require a new picture of you. Picture costs $20 at the postal office. It'll cost you less if you have your picture taken elsewhere. You do not have to wait until your passport expire.
    Thanks for your info! WOW, that is expensive but then again, it isn't that bad since it lasts for a long time. I don't think I need mine expedited. My mom has been reminding me to renew my passport. That's good since I hate my other picture. Do you remember how many do we need to take?? My brother says he gets a good price at AAA for passport photos so I may get them taken there. Thanks again for your info!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Really?? I have not heard of having a website to renew our passport online before. WE always had to renew it in person in the US.
    No, I didn't say that there are websites from either the US or Canada that will renew your passport online.
    I meant that there are official governmental websites that will provide you the most accurate and updated information on the process.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    No, I didn't say that there are websites from either the US or Canada that will renew your passport online.
    I meant that there are official governmental websites that will provide you the most accurate and updated information on the process.
    Oh sorry that I didn't read your message clearly enough... I think it is getting late in my area and my brain isn't functioning well at all...

Trinie, you need two identical pictures. So, one shot two copies. You can read more here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...renew_833.html http://www.usps.com/passport/welcome.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Trinie, you need two identical pictures. So, one shot two copies. You can read more here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...renew_833.html http://www.usps.com/passport/welcome.htm
    Thanks for the sites and for your help! I really appreciate it! By the way, we don't need to bring our old one in when we renew do we??I guess I can just read it at the sites. THanks again!
    Last edited by Trinie; 06-14-09 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Thanks for your info! WOW, that is expensive but then again, it isn't that bad since it lasts for a long time. I don't think I need mine expedited. My mom has been reminding me to renew my passport. That's good since I hate my other picture. Do you remember how many do we need to take?? My brother says he gets a good price at AAA for passport photos so I may get them taken there. Thanks again for your info!!
    It's not that bad on the price.My old pic is worse,since I hadn't renewed over 15+yrs.Currently,renewed mine's about the same price posted here;it does last for 10yrs.I received it within 4 weeks,as long there isn't preventing you applying it;meaning criminal activities.Otherwise,they should speed up the paperwork.

When I saw when they processed it,I was pretty amazed 2-3 actual days.I can understand people travel so it does take longer until my passport would arrive.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.