Thread: Review : City Hall

Thumbs up Review : City Hall

Title : City Hall
    Starring :
    - Kim Sun Ah as Shin Mi Rae the bottom-ranking public servant turned mayor.
    - Cha Seung Won as Jo Gook the hot shot high ranking central government official on a secret mission.
    Synopses : A 36-year old maiden who got fired from her position as a bottom-ranking public servant demanding her prize money from winning a fake city beauty contest run by the corrupt mayor to embezzle public fund runs for the office of mayor, helped by a hot shot government official secretly dispatched to dispose the current mayor of a small city in the middle of nowhere.

Review : Wow, Kim Sam Soon returns to TV(not really), and this one is actually funnier than Kim Sam Soon!! Recovering from her previous underwhelming performance in failed series "Night After Night", lead actress Kim Sun Ah makes a strong come back as Shin Mi Rae, who is basically a transplant of Kim Sam Soon character in a new setting, only more outrageous and funnier. You won't find a good-looking younger male lead like Hyun Bin and Lee Dong Gun in this show, but the new male lead Cha Seung Won is a former fashion model himself who's playing a scheming playboy government official so his looks won't disappoint.

Kim Sam Soon fans will love this show, as this is basically a funnier version of Kim Sam Soon with a much stronger supporting cast. Easily the funniest show of 2009, by far.

I'm starting this drama now and I hope you're right.

Anyone want to post pictures of the cast? Somehow the dramawiki picture of the main actor and a picture of him in dreadlocks didn't look good. Any pictures from the actual drama itself?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Nevermind.

Here's some pictures of the cast:
    http://www.dramabeans.com/2009/04/ci...or-kim-sun-ah/

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Have to agreed, this is a funny show. I do like it a lot. The main male lead is hot for his age.
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

click to show/hide spoilers
    I have to wonder what special night Lee Jung Do was refering to. I laughed so much when Kim Sun Ah/Mi-Rae had this wild imagination of two men in a sensual romantic scene together on a bed with tears on their eyes. LOL! I swear if I was drinking something while watching that scene, I would've spit out all that I was drinking. It's just so hilariously funny.

Is Jo Rang really Jo Gook's son? The fiancee doesn't seem to like the little boy. It seems Jo Gook and his fiancee don't have a really strong relationship. She controls him too much and I think he's using her for his political gains. But I'll find out later as the drama progresses. NO SPOILERs for me okay, Joe. Cha Seung Won's hairstyle and style of suit reminds me of Aloy Chen Kun (a mainland Chinese actor).

Is Jo Gook's father, BB?

The tango dance between the main actor and actress is so HOT!

I'm up to episode 8 now.

Is Jo Rang really Jo Gook's son?
    An adopted son to improve his public image. After all, he's a politician who needs a popularity to win elections.

The fiancee doesn't seem to like the little boy.
    Can't blame her.

It seems Jo Gook and his fiancee don't have a really strong relationship.
    It's a relationship of convenience, with their fathers getting what they want from each other through this marriage arrangement.

Is Jo Gook's father, BB?
    Jo Gook's father is his boss, the presidential candidate, and Jo Gook is his illegitimate son.

Jo Gook really has great timing, always showing up behind Shin Mi-Rae's back when she least expected.

Oh, he likes her and she feels the same, but he's really not honest and open about his feelings at all. It's all in the longing stares, thinking of her, and stalking! Yes, he does a lot of stalking aka watching her from afar without her knowing.

Cha Seung Won is 6'2", man he's tall. Super long legs. Kim Sun Ah looks so pretty in the traditional Korean dresses and the formal dresses.

I'm getting a bit annoyed watching this drama. Though I like the main couple, but they must be really stupid sometimes. After the first scare of having their relationship and being at the hotel printed in the newspaper, they still haven't taken any precautions in their relationship affair? WTH. They kiss openly in the public, and in front of her house? I have to ask whether or not they are THINKING AT ALL. I am watching episode 17 and they're acting all chummy without thinking anyone might be watching or watching her house? How reckless can they be?

If they're going to have an underground secret relationship, at least go somewhere they would never be caught.

I have reached the point where I have to skip and fast forward over some scenes.

This drama has it's funny parts, but some parts I really can do without. It is SO NOT funnier version of KSS.

Again, I am going to willfully disagree with JonDoe's reviews of all K-Dramas. As I recall, there isn't a drama I've actually agreed with him before. So the record continues to show, we have different tastes.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 11-08-09 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I'm getting a bit annoyed watching this drama. Though I like the main couple, but they must be really stupid sometimes. After the first scare of having their relationship and being at the hotel printed in the newspaper, they still haven't taken any precautions in their relationship affair? WTH. They kiss openly in the public, and in front of her house? I have to ask whether or not they are THINKING AT ALL. I am watching episode 17 and they're acting all chummy without thinking anyone might be watching or watching her house? How reckless can they be?

If they're going to have an underground secret relationship, at least go somewhere they would never be caught.

I have reached the point where I have to skip and fast forward over some scenes.

This drama has it's funny parts, but some parts I really can do without. It is SO NOT funnier version of KSS.

Again, I am going to willfully disagree with JonDoe's reviews of all K-Dramas. As I recall, there isn't a drama I've actually agreed with him before. So the record continues to show, we have different tastes.

now you get me?

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    now you get me?
    No. Both dramas have hilarious funny scenes, but all this stupid conflict and clash of not being able to be together publically, but they recklessly let themselves be vulnerable by allowing others opportunities to take pictures from afar is just foolish.

And I strongly dislike the actress who plays Go Go Hae too. Her EYES is so maliciously vicious and snobby, Always looking down on people, and saying patronizing things.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 11-08-09 at 11:07 PM.

but you get my frustration with this drama too. it really was a pain for me to finish this after they slept together, everything just went downhill for me. i only wish to keep one scene of this drama in my head and that is of the main guy and his secret 'yaoi' affair. ^_^

Yay. Finally the Bureau Directors support her and the people support her, except for the moneygrubbing people who want to build a plant no matter how harmful the toxic wastes are dumped. I never thought I'd see the day that the Bureau directors would be upset that she resigned or that the deputy mayor would destroy her resignation letter to keep her as mayor.

Okay, maybe I don't completely hate Go Go Hae. But she's a real snobby looking actress. I don't like her eyes, but okay, I won't hate her.

Aww...Civil Servants dancing to "Sorry, Sorry", they danced decently and they look like they had fun dancing.

Okay, I must make TWO comparison between City Hall and MNIKSS, and that is Kim Sun Ah dresses better in this drama than as Kim Sam Soon. I like her haircut and dresses that she wore after she became mayor. They're cute. And maybe a better ending for the couple.

Edit

YAY! Hooray for Shin Mi Rae! Kim Sun Ah finally gets to marry a guy in a drama! That's one of my regrets for Kim Sam Soon, we never knew if she got to marry Hyun Bin's character because his mom was still opposed to them getting married. Here in City Hall, they actually got wedding photo scenes and her being there when he is running for president. And the fact that its 5 years later, and she's still mayor is good. Signifying that she has become matured in her position.

Cha Seung Won and Kim Sun Ah had good chem. They're funny together. There's several scenes of them together that I really like.

1) Tango dance together at Pagent
    2) Camping trip
    3)Chicken restaraunt where she hits him over the head and completely shocks him.
    4)Sunrise by the ocean in each other's arms.
    5) Jo Gook and Mi Rae talking all mushy in front of her friends at the chicken restaraunt place. LOL Gukie!
    6)Gook and Soo In coming to Mi Rae's rescue after she's hit with tomatoes. I thought AT LAST! some action fighting scene. Cha Seung Wong has some long legs, dang!
    7)MR bumping into JG's chest again and he says "It's a automatic event now."
    8)After party for the Inju Civil servants and JG gets jealous of Jung Do and Mi Rae hugging and goes to split them up. Also that North Star jealousy with receiving a shorter text message than Jung Do.
    9) That lights and arrangement at her house in the last episode as he asks her to dance with him.
    10) wedding photo scenes...very pretty and final one with him as he runs for the presidential electionTh

Min Joo Hwa and Lee Jung Do's scenes were cute too. I'm glad they got back together and expecting a kid finally.

In the first episode, didn't Jo Gook unofficially meet Shin Mi Rae and was watching her as she stuff some stuff in her shirt (where she didn't vote and was left undecided)?

How long ago was Lee Jung Do and Jo Gook schoolmates in the training institute? In the last episode it says 8 years ago, but 8 years ago from what? I'm all confused with the 8 years ago and then five years later thing.

Does Kim Sun Ah really know how to dance? I mean, she looks really good at dancing the tango and SuJu's Sorry, Sorry. I know she danced with Rain and it was also a tango. Did she already know how to dance or did she have to learn how to dance for the scenes in City Hall and to be on stage with Rain?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 11-08-09 at 11:57 PM.

For some reason I don't think the main guy is good looking. He's tall but not handsome in my opinion. I think his secretary guy Ha So In is cute and very handsome! Don't see any thread here for him. I heard he's in a new drama called "Three Brothers" and he plays the youngest brother, I'm looking to that!