Thread: Review : Hon(The Spirit)

Thumbs up Review : Hon(The Spirit)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.koreandrama.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/soul.jpg')

Title : Hon(The Spirit)
    Starring :
    - Im Joo Eun as Yoon Ha Na the possessed girl
    - Yi Seo Jin as Shin Yu the criminal profiler who manipulates Yoon Ha Na to do his deeds
    - Yi Jin as Yi Hye Won the psychiatrist
    - Kim Gap Soo as Baek Do Shik the devil lawyer
    Synopse : A girl who can see the dead gets possessed by a series of vengeful souls to kill the evildoers using supernatural power, and the criminal profiler manipulates the girl to carry out what he sees to be "justice", until he turns a psychopathic serial killer himself.

Review : This is a horror drama, a rare kind in Korean TV, and this is a very well-made show in spite of its poor ratings. The story has two chapters, first chapter being the saga of Yoon Ha Na who exhibits supernatural power when possessed by vengeful souls to murder evil doers with the aid(not really) of a criminal profiler who has a haunted past and seeks his kind of justice using Yoon Ha Na's ability. The second chapter is the story of Shin Yu, whose soul has turned evil during the story of first chapter and is now an active serial killer himself delivering "justice" at night and a professor teaching about serial killers and psychopaths during the day, after Yoon Ha Na lost her memory and her "ability" with it. Connecting both is Baek Do Shik, a satanic lawyer who wins every case to free evil people using legal loopholes.

Being only 10 episodes long, this show moves very fast and there is no dragging to be seen. Performance by first class casting(has big name actors) is excellent with the sole exception of Yi Jin's(of FINKL fame). Yi Jin just isn't that good of an actress and I see no improvement in her performance after years in spite of her fame and looks. What's really surprising is the unexpected performance of Im Joo Eun, this is her first drama yet her performance of a possessed girl switching between a scared innocent girl seeing dead people and a possessed supernatural murderer is stunning. And she's super cute even for the better!!!

However, this show is not for the faint hearted, this show is about vengeful dead souls, murders, possessions, and serial killers, and lots of blood and murder actions on screen. Nonetheless, I consider this show to be excellent in spite of its brutal content, and I recommend it strongly.
    Last edited by JonDoe; 10-08-09 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks so much for the review. I was surprised that there is a horror drama made too, since it's probably the first of its kind. I've watched some trailers on youtube and it looked promising I LOVE a good horror flick and since you think that this is a good series, I'll give it a try. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post

Title : Hon(The Spirit)
    Starring :

- Yi Seo Jin as Shin Yu the criminal profiler who manipulates Yoon Ha Na to do his deeds
    - Yi Jin as Yi Hye Won the psychiatrist
    I am sure that you're being accurate with the pronunciations but surely the correct spelling is Lee? Being neither Korean nor being able to speak the language, I have problems checking up on the actor with name Yi. So is Lee Byung Hung = Yi Byung Hung?