Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Schemes of A Beauty 《美人心计》 - Ruby Lin, Sammul Chan, Yang Mi, Luo Jin

Default Schemes of A Beauty 《美人心计》 - Ruby Lin, Sammul Chan, Yang Mi, Luo Jin

Scriptwriter/Producer Yu Zheng's latest series is "Mei Ren Xin Ji" (美人心计 Plots/Schemes of a Beauty). Filming has commenced in Heng Dian on the 2nd of July 2009.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img1.gtimg.com/ent/pics/29499/29499044.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img1.gtimg.com/ent/pics/29396/29396634.jpg')

Cast:

Ruby Lin- Dou Yi Fang (Empress Dou)/Xiang Ling; Lin Miao Ke- Dou Yi Fang (child)
    Wang Li Kun- Nie Shen'er/Bing Hua/Empress Wang Zhi; Jiang Yi Yi- Nie Shen'er/Wang Zhi (child)
    Yang Mi- Mo Xue Yuan
    Sammul Chan- Liu Heng
    Mickey He Sheng Ming- Zhou Ya Fu
    Luo Jin- Liu Ying
    Yan Kuan- Liu Shao Kang
    Huang Hai Bing- Nie Feng
    Feng Shao Feng- Liu Zhang
    Myolie Wu- Lu Yu
    Sun Feifei- Qing Ning
    Dai Chun Rong- Empress Dowager Lu
    Bai Shan- Bo Ji
    Gao Hao- Liu Qi
    Deng Sha- Miao Ren
    Gao Yang- Bo Qiao Hui
    Tammy Chen Yirong- Li Mei Ren
    Zhou Mu Yin- Zi Ran
    Qi Wei- Liu Piao (Princess Guan Tao)
    Du Jun Zhe- Lu Lu
    Li Yao Jing- Tian Da Ye
    Zhang Tong- Shen Bi Jun
    Ge Zi Ming- Tian Guo Chun
    Tian Zi Tian- Jin Se
    Su Qing- Empress Zhang Yan; Dong Hui- Zhang Yan (child)
    Li Qinqin- Jin Zhi
    Frankie Lam- Jin Wang Sun
    Zhang Meng- Wei Zifu
    Gong Mi- Chen Ah Jiao

Credits: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4827a92d0100dte4.html
    http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=600522132

Additional Info:
    Episodes: 30
    Producer/Writer: Yu Zheng
    Director: Wu Jin Yuan (Suo Qing Qiu, Chinese Paladin)
    Cinematographer: Zhang Zhi Wei (Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan 3)

The plot and characters are adapted from the novel, "Wei Yang Chen Fu" (未央沉浮)

Synopsis:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...4&postcount=84

More info: http://baike.baidu.com/view/2531450.html

Sina Site with character concept/costume drawings:
    http://ent.sina.com.cn/f/v/mrxjvote/index.shtml
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-08-11 at 03:04 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

I prefer seeing men in the battle of wits rather than seeing women scheming against each other but at least it's a production on royalty, hopefully they maintain the historical accuracy.

So that means Ruby and Sammul are the leads?
    Last edited by BearBearNweather; 07-04-09 at 02:58 AM.

Trivia:

Ruby Lin apparently turned down 8 other film offers for the lead role in this production. Korean actress Song Hye Gyo was a hot contender for the leading role but lost out to Ruby in the end. Producer Yu has announced that the series will center around the 3 female leads played by Ruby Lin, Wang Li Kun and Yang Mi.

http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/2009-07-02/19092593490.shtml

On his blog, Yu Zheng offered some info on Yang Mi's character, Xue Yuan:

She is Empress Dowager Lu's top assassin. Her palace identity is a mystery and she hides away from public a face whose beauty is incomparable. Her only wish is for her family to be safe. After she meets Dou Yi Fang, she learns how to trust and gives up her love for Dou. For 30 years, Xue Yuan shares a close and trusting relation with Dou, who treats her like a sister.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4827a92d0100drox.html

Also, news reveal that Yang Mi's character will take on an ugly and disfigured appearance in the series:
    http://news.xinmin.cn/rollnews/2009/07/03/2184794.html

On a side note, Wang Li Kun plays a villainous character.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 07-04-09 at 03:14 AM.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post
    I prefer seeing men in the battle of wits rather than seeing women scheming against each other but at least it's a production on royalty, hopefully they maintain the historical accuracy.

So that means Ruby and Sammul are the leads?
    If you're familiar with Yu Zheng, you'll know that his works always center around women while men tend to take more of a back seat. And seeing how they're going to turn this into a woman series with plenty of drama, we should not expect much historical accuracy.

Im not that fond of YZ's works because his storylines always turn out mediocre (despite the hype) and he tends to copy things from TVB dramas. But I'm really excited at the boost of famous faces for the cast with the exception of Ruby, who I'm not really fond of.

Ruby and Sammul play husband and wife in this and probably are the lead couple though the series' leads are Ruby, WLK and YM.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 07-04-09 at 03:21 AM.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    If you're familiar with Yu Zheng, you'll know that his works always center around women while men tend to take more of back seat.

Ruby and Sammul play husband and wife in this and probably are the lead couple though the series' leads are Ruby, WLK and YM.
    No, I'm not familiar with Yu Zheng's works.

Like most productions featuring females, the actors are usually "vases"

Thanks for the info, sunnysnow. Any idea when is the expected release since filming only starts this month?

wow, that is quite a cast. not too fond of ruby either but i'll catch this if yang mi's role is good.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Thanks for the info, sunnysnow. Any idea when is the expected release since filming only starts this month?
    No idea. But probably sometime next year since YZ's productions tend to be released very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    wow, that is quite a cast. not too fond of ruby either but i'll catch this if yang mi's role is good.
    Yeah, the cast was what attracted me. Yu Zheng really does know how to get famous faces to appear in his works. Probably why his works are so popular despite its mediocre plots and production quality.

YM's character sounds pretty interesting; plus if the news is true, we get to see her in an ugly (appearance-wise) role for once! Though I hope they mean if when they say ugly. Really tired of seeing supposed ugly/disfigured female characters looking nothing short of pretty instead.

Wise Fool

On his blog, Yu Zheng offered some info on Yang Mi's character, Xue Yuan:

She is Empress Dowager Lu's top assassin. Her palace identity is a mystery and ***she hides away from public a face whose beauty is incomparable. ***Her only wish is for her family to be safe. After she meets Dou Yi Fang, she learns how to trust and gives up her love for Dou. For 30 years, Xue Yuan shares a close and trusting relation with Dou, who treats her like a sister.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4827a92d0100drox.html

Also, news reveal that Yang Mi's character will take on an ugly and disfigured appearance in the series:
    http://news.xinmin.cn/rollnews/2009/07/03/2184794.html

On a side note, Wang Li Kun plays a villainous character.
    i don't understand. on the one hand, it states that ym's beauty is incomparable, but on the other hand, ym will take on an ugly appearance in this series? is the source trying to tell us that ym's character fakes an ugly image to hide her true beauty or is the source confused?

by the way, have we already seen ym's costume fitting in ym's thread? because in her thread, you've shown us pictures of her as an assasin, and she's quite beautiful as an assasin. no ugly image there.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

i don't understand. on the one hand, it states that ym's beauty is incomparable, but on the other hand, ym will take on an ugly appearance in this series? is the source trying to tell us that ym's character fakes an ugly image to hide her true beauty or is the source confused?
    I'm confused by that too

Trivia:

Ruby Lin apparently turned down 8 other film offers for the lead role in this production. Korean actress Song Hye Gyo was a hot contender for the leading role but lost out to Ruby in the end. Producer Yu has announced that the series will center around the 3 female leads played by Ruby Lin, Wang Li Kun and Yang Mi.
    I'm not exactly a fan of Ruby's but I usually prefer seeing a Chinese portraying a Chinese historical character, a Jap playing Jap historical character, etc (though there are a few exceptions) so in a way I'm glad she has the role instead of Song Hye Gyo.

I'm confused by this as well but I'm guessing she hides her beauty behind an ugly disguise. Something like Xiao Zhao in HSDS.

by the way, have we already seen ym's costume fitting in ym's thread? because in her thread, you've shown us pictures of her as an assasin, and she's quite beautiful as an assasin. no ugly image there.
    Cast in costume pics have not been released yet. The pics of her as an assassin is from another series she just finished filming for recently.

I'm not exactly a fan of Ruby's but I usually prefer seeing a Chinese portraying a Chinese historical character, a Jap playing Jap historical character, etc (though there are a few exceptions) so in a way I'm glad she has the role instead of Song Hye Gyo.
    Apparently thats the main reason why Ruby was chosen over SHG.

Wise Fool

Wink

Wow, that's a lot of beautiful actresses in 1 series.

I was about to post a topic in the TVB section, asking what happened to Myolie Wu, guess she got frozen by TVB so now she's working in Mainland?

Anyway, there's SFF, wouldn't it be cool if she's the lead instead of Ruby?

Who's Wang Li Kun, is she pretty as Yang Mi or SFF?

Wait wait Sunny, you said that YM's character love Dou Yi Fang, who is going to be played by Ruby right??? What kind of love, it's a girl love a girl, right??? I must be reading something wrong here???

n his blog, Yu Zheng offered some info on Yang Mi's character, Xue Yuan:

She is Empress Dowager Lu's top assassin. Her palace identity is a mystery and she hides away from public a face whose beauty is incomparable. Her only wish is for her family to be safe. After she meets Dou Yi Fang, she learns how to trust and gives up her love for Dou. For 30 years, Xue Yuan shares a close and trusting relation with Dou, who treats her like a sister.
    Cast:

Ruby Lin- Dou Yi Fang (Empress Dou); Lin Miao Ke- Young Yi Fang

Look like Ruby and Wang Li Kan had 2 or 3 names in this series????

Thanks for all the news ss. I've been reading about this production at other forums but none of them had the full cast list, which is totally impressive. It definitely looks like a grand production and could be a big hit. I'm looking forward to more pictures! Hopefully, the costumes will be extravagant and beautiful.

I'm not very familiar with Mainland producers. What other series has Yu Zheng made?

The only series I've watched that somehow credited Yu Zheng (as writer or producer) is:

Tian Di Bu Rong - starring Ady And and Feng Shao Feng
    The Last Princess - HSY, Leila Tong, Sammul Chan
    Mei Gui Jiang Hu - HSY, SFF, Wallace Chung, Sammul
    Concubines of Qing Emperor - Hu Jing, Florence Tan, Benny CHan

I actually really liked Tian Di Bu Rong, but his other works were just mediocre, as Sunnysnow said. Mostly, they're so melodramatic and written as a tragedy of some sorts. Hence, not so appealing.

There are more of Yu Zheng's works that I haven't watched, so I won't comment on that.

My experience with Yu Zheng series is that they always sound so good in theory but fail to live up to the hype. He has all the right ingredients: good looking cast, appealing storylines, excellent scenery/costumes, and lots of romantic drama. But the one thing his series lack is originality. The plots are very predictable and even when they try to throw in a curveball, the audience probably saw the curveball coming a mile away. There are times when entire story segments feel like a plagiarized amalgamation of several other dramas. I know that he is known as a "xiao tian cai" because he started writing for TVB when he was very young but so far, Yu Zheng is more of a prodigy than a genius. A prodigy just succeeds at an earlier age than others whereas a genius surpasses his peers upon maturity.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. Here's to hoping that Mei Ren Xin Ji will not suffer from Yu Zheng's bout of cliched mediocrity and perhaps redeem his credibility as a writer/producer.

Quote Originally Posted by WuxiaGem View Post
    My experience with Yu Zheng series is that they always sound so good in theory but fail to live up to the hype. He has all the right ingredients: good looking cast, appealing storylines, excellent scenery/costumes, and lots of romantic drama. But the one thing his series lack is originality. The plots are very predictable and even when they try to throw in a curveball, the audience probably saw the curveball coming a mile away. There are times when entire story segments feel like a plagiarized amalgamation of several other dramas.
    That doesn't sound promising but we just have to wait and see the final production and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TiffTiff View Post
    Who's Wang Li Kun, is she pretty as Yang Mi or SFF?
    Here's WLK's profile: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Wang_Li_Kun
    Personally I don't find her as pretty as YM and SFF, or even Ruby.

Wait wait Sunny, you said that YM's character love Dou Yi Fang, who is going to be played by Ruby right??? What kind of love, it's a girl love a girl, right??? I must be reading something wrong here???
    It's sisterly love I think.

Look like Ruby and Wang Li Kan had 2 or 3 names in this series????
    No they each play only 1 character. Lin Miao Ke and Jiang Yi Yi play their young counterparts.

Wise Fool

@ Creme, thanks for the list! So that's who he is. I saw The Last Princess and some of the beginning of Concubines of the Qing Emperor. I do agree. There was a lot of hype about those series. I had really high expectations for TLP, but it didn't turn out to be that great for me, which might be because it didn't have enough Leila as I wanted, lol. The actors/actresses he casts are always impressive though--they all have the looks and the talent.

@ Wuxiagem, I agree with your analysis of his formula, "good looking cast, appealing storylines, excellent scenery/costumes, and lots of romantic drama." Perhaps you're right, that the missing element is originality, or what I would term an "impact". But maybe that's partly the directors' fault?

Anywho, the series is supposed to span 100 years I heard?

Talking

Thank you Sunny for the info and clarified things up for me

Oh yeah, that WLK lady is not gorgeous at all, no wonder why she's playing the villian. But I rather for Ruby, SFF, YM to be 3 leads rather than WLK. I would love to see SFF as a beautiful villian

Yang mi

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i3.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2009-07-06/U2184P28T3D2598469F326DT20090706114831.jpg')

Wang Li Kun
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i2.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2009-07-06/U2184P28T3D2598469F329DT20090706114831.jpg')

戴春荣
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i1.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2009-07-06/U2184P28T3D2598469F328DT20090706114831.JPG')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2009-07-06/U2184P28T3D2598469F358DT20090706114831.jpg')
    月は
    一つしかないと
    思っていたが
    山の端でなく
    池の底にも月が出た。

More pics of supporting cast here (though pics of Ruby and Sammul have not been released yet).
    http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/2009-07-06/11482598469.shtml

The costumes look pretty nice (like most of YZ's other works).

Oh yeah, that WLK lady is not gorgeous at all, no wonder why she's playing the villian. But I rather for Ruby, SFF, YM to be 3 leads rather than WLK. I would love to see SFF as a beautiful villian
    SFF is only playing a guest role in this series. Anyway, she's played beautiful villains before; once in Yu Zheng's other work, "Mei Gui Jiang Hu".
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 07-06-09 at 04:14 AM.

Wise Fool