Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 123

Thread: THE SHELL GAME (千王之王) (1980) Thread

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    She couldn't achieve the "Ignoring the Six Relations" that he did; that's why Tam Sing, not Cheuk Lei, attained the title of King of Gambler Kings.
    Ken, thanks first for refreshing on my memory. Cheuk Lei is a great plotter. I can't remember her gambling. In addition, the show (even the title) is more on the plotting side - King of Conmen? rather than on gambling though the latter relates well to "conning".

  2. #22
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Ken, thanks first for refreshing on my memory. Cheuk Lei is a great plotter. I can't remember her gambling.
    She exhibited her gambling skills only once, during a brief card match against Tam Sing late in the series (he beat her, but only because he showed his hand first - they both had four Aces). Of course, this raises the question of where she learned such gambling skills from: I doubt that her adoptive father, Cheuk 1 Fu, taught her such skills.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,405

    Default

    We know that Cheuk Lei's parents were "killed" by Cheuk 1 Fu. But how/why they die

  4. #24
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    We know that Cheuk Lei's parents were "killed" by Cheuk 1 Fu. But how/why they die
    It was Cheuk Lei's father only, as far as we know. Her mother was never mentioned.

    Cheuk Lei's father was named Cheung Pak Kau. He was once a follower of Cheuk 1 Fu's, but tried to betray his boss. Cheuk 1 Fu discovered his treachery and killed him personally (apparently slashed him to death with an axe), and later had his heart removed from his body and paraded around town to demonstrate what would happen to traitors.

    But Cheuk 1 Fu was not, by nature, a cruel man. He saw that Cheung Pak Kau had left behind a young daughter and felt sorry for the child (and some remorse for killing Cheung), and adopted her as his own (a decision he would come to regret).

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    84

    Default

    No matter what people say, I consider Shell Game II to be much superior than part I. I just couldn't stand Tam Sing's character, quite an annoying guy. Good that he was just in a supporting role in part II. The kidnapping plan at the end of part I totally ruined it for me, what a low and shameless way to take revenge, by using a kid.

  6. #26
    Junior Member jSMl2046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Ah, wait...I get what you mean now. When the group returned from Macao to Guangzhou to avenge themselves on the Hung Family, Tam Sing arrived "undercover" as Chan Sabah, the Chairman of the Malaysian Rubber Industry Association.

    I like how that set-up was established and used, actually.
    yup, i actually thot that if they returned with no one knowing their covers would be perfect ...

  7. #27
    Junior Member jSMl2046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It was Cheuk Lei's father only, as far as we know. Her mother was never mentioned.

    Cheuk Lei's father was named Cheung Pak Kau. He was once a follower of Cheuk 1 Fu's, but tried to betray his boss. Cheuk 1 Fu discovered his treachery and killed him personally (apparently slashed him to death with an axe), and later had his heart removed from his body and paraded around town to demonstrate what would happen to traitors.

    But Cheuk 1 Fu was not, by nature, a cruel man. He saw that Cheung Pak Kau had left behind a young daughter and felt sorry for the child (and some remorse for killing Cheung), and adopted her as his own (a decision he would come to regret).
    i always wondered if the nanny, the one always instigating cheuk lei to hasten her revenge was her mother ...

  8. #28
    Junior Member jSMl2046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NetDragon View Post
    No matter what people say, I consider Shell Game II to be much superior than part I. I just couldn't stand Tam Sing's character, quite an annoying guy. Good that he was just in a supporting role in part II. The kidnapping plan at the end of part I totally ruined it for me, what a low and shameless way to take revenge, by using a kid.
    the shell game II was great too but to pair lisa wang and chow yuen fat in the beginning was a bit ...

  9. #29
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jSMl2046 View Post
    i always wondered if the nanny, the one always instigating cheuk lei to hasten her revenge was her mother ...
    No. In the episode when Cheuk Lei turns against and tortures Cheuk 1 Fu, it is revealed that Nanny Hon was, in fact, the biological sister of Cheung Pak Kau, Cheuk Lei's biological father. Therefore, Nanny Hon was actually Cheuk Lei's aunt by blood.

    Further clarification: Fok Man Ting was not the Mayor of Guangzhou. He was the Chairman of the Guangzhou Gambling Association, which regulated all the casinos. At the time of THE SHELL GAME, the city was actually administered by a Chinese Nationalist military government headed by a pro-Nationalist general named Chan Jiong Ming. As gambling was a major tentpole for the city's economy, the Chairman of the Gambling Association had quite a bit of pull with the regional government.

    By the time of THE SHELL GAME II, the chairman's position had been Tam Sing's for some time. Just immediately prior to the beginning of THE SHELL GAME II, in fact, Tam Sing resigned from the position.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    I just noticed Miu Kiu Wai has a small role in it...its great...


    QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

  11. #31
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    I just noticed Miu Kiu Wai has a small role in it...its great...


    QF
    Several small roles, really. He had a rather infamous nonspeaking part as "Mr. Miu," the fourth player in the iconic mah jong tournament between Lo 4 Hoi and Cheuk 1 Fu. It's funny because not only did Miu say nothing throughout the entire proceedings, but he had his back turned to the camera pretty much the entire time. He was there merely to fill in the empty spot (because you can't play mah jong with just three people) and bear witness to an iconic moment in TVB history.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Several small roles, really. He had a rather infamous nonspeaking part as "Mr. Miu," the fourth player in the iconic mah jong tournament between Lo 4 Hoi and Cheuk 1 Fu. It's funny because not only did Miu say nothing throughout the entire proceedings, but he had his back turned to the camera pretty much the entire time. He was there merely to fill in the empty spot (because you can't play mah jong with just three people) and bear witness to an iconic moment in TVB history.

    Damn....for realz?? if he had his back turned the entire time how did you know it was him?


    QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

  13. #33
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Damn....for realz?? if he had his back turned the entire time how did you know it was him?


    QF
    Before they all sat down to play the game (i.e. when Lo 4 Hoi first walked into the room), everybody shook hands. At that point, we briefly see Miu Kiu Wai's face (although naturally, the camera didn't focus on him). Top it off with the name "Mr. Miu" and there's no mistaking him.

    Pretty cool for Miu Kiu Wai. He was still about a year away from getting major roles, but he got to be present for one of TVB's most iconic moments.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    oh ok..i get it now...


    Hey I didn't see the part where Tam Sing plays Cheuk Lei in a card game? where is that at ??? I guess i was watching the cut version...damn it.

    Well, as of 10 minutes i just finished watching it...great series. It brought back alot of memories.

    I'm downloading the second part now...hopefully i get to watch it soon.

    QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

  15. #35
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    oh ok..i get it now...


    Hey I didn't see the part where Tam Sing plays Cheuk Lei in a card game? where is that at ??? I guess i was watching the cut version...damn it.
    If you're watching the VCD edition, there's a good probability it was edited out.

    Word to the wise: don't buy TVB's VCDs if you can help it. They butcher these series horribly.

    In the complete edition, the Tam Sing/Cheuk Lei poker game occurs in Episode 22, shortly after the funeral for Cheuk Lei's late husband Hung Pau.

  16. #36
    Junior Member jSMl2046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    44

    Default

    tai seng never release this series with its sequel? ...

  17. #37
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jSMl2046 View Post
    tai seng never release this series with its sequel? ...
    Taiseng released both series in DVD format as a single package earlier this year. Unfortunately, as in THE BUND TRILOGY release, it was a transfer from a clean edition of the 1980s VHS tapes rather than a full digital remaster from the master tapes.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    In the complete edition, the Tam Sing/Cheuk Lei poker game occurs in Episode 22, shortly after the funeral for Cheuk Lei's late husband Hung Pau.

    the one i watched has 18 episodes...

    i'm downloading shell game 2 and it has 21 episodes....how many episodes does the shell game 2 have?
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

  19. #39
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    the one i watched has 18 episodes...

    i'm downloading shell game 2 and it has 21 episodes....how many episodes does the shell game 2 have?
    The fully uncut SHELL GAME I has twenty-five episodes.

    The fully uncut SHELL GAME II has twenty episodes, so how they ended up with an "extra" episode is beyond me.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    523

    Default

    The fully uncut SHELL GAME II has twenty episodes, so how they ended up with an "extra" episode is beyond me.
    HAHA....well then Prof. Cheng...I think maybe you have the cut version and i'm downloading the uncut version...HA!!

    Don't worry, i'll tell you about what you missed.


    QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

Similar Threads

  1. Diao Man Gong Zhu Xiao Yao Wang 《刁蛮公主逍遥王》
    By oaktree in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-13, 04:11 PM
  2. The King of Snookers 《桌球天王》
    By LuckyMx in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-29-09, 03:19 AM
  3. Hail to the Judge 《棟篤狀王》
    By om369 in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-19-07, 03:52 AM
  4. Shell Games 1980
    By sunnyho in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-06, 12:26 AM
  5. Shell game 2
    By rokko99 in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-06, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •