Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journey to the West 2 (西遊記 2)

Unhappy Remake Journey to the West 2 (西遊記 2)

TVB should remake Journey to the West 2 and bring all actors back who did their roles, including Dicky Cheung. Journey to the West 1996 version is excellent and my favorite.
    When Dicky didn't return Journey to the West 2 and Benny Chan replaced him. I was very disappointed and don't feel same without him.
    I think TVB should reboot it.
    Last edited by mast3r; 07-09-13 at 09:55 PM.

Wouldn't it be Journey to the West 3 then? I don't think Dicky will ever return for a TVB series. I did like him better than Benny as the Monkey King. Though, I like the interactions and chemistry from the 4 much better in the 2nd one. If they do make a 3rd one, I hope they stay closer to the original storyline. They totally butchered it in the previous 2, especially the 2nd one. I like diviation (sp?) if it makes sense or creative. Their diviation (sp?) was just plan draggy and boring.

If they do make another one, I wonder who would make a good Monkey King with the current TVB actors. Hrm...

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

I meant reboot (remake) Journey to the West 2 and bring all actors who did their roles. Dicky Cheung want to do his role on next squeal but TVB won't pay him more. I wished he's in Journey to the West 2.

I vaguely remember Dicky asked for too much of a raised so TVB didn't pay him.

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

He said TVB treated him unfair. I think he should take offer, do his role on next squeal before leave TVB and continue his career. Journey to the West is kinda ruined without him and Quest for the Sutra is boring because all actors is lame expect Dicky Cheung

I agree only to some extent. The villains in JttW 2 were lame, yes. Even the monk was lame imo; he lied so much in this version; it was hard to watch without screaming how ridiculous he was and totally ignored all the virtues as a monk. The pig & demon weren't lame though. I loved Wayne as the pig. It was one of his best roles. Also, Evergreen acted very well and sincere.

Kwong Wah is very good acting as Tang Sanzang and gained fame. I liked some actors like Evergreen and Wayne Lai.
    Even minor characters like Gordon Liu as Bull Demon King, Rebecca Chan as Princess Iron Fan and Joe Ma as Erlang Shen or more. I liked Benny Chan's theme song but actors are more important. Even Wayne Lai liked Dicky better than Benny Chan.
    TVB should reboot JttW2.

I'm not disputing that they're good actors. I just disliked their characters. It was poor script.

JTTW 2 is kinda boring and not good as Season 1 (1996). CGI is very poorly. It sucked without Dicky Chueng

OMG is this really happening? Great. I loved jttw. It would be Cool to see all the cast again but they would definitely be older.

They may older from 15 years old, But they can use effect to make them younger. All casts including Dicky Cheung are legendary

That would pretty much be impossible since one of the cast members that I'm familiar with passed away a couple years ago, Wong Wai who was Wu Kong's master in learning magic.

Most of the cast members from that series are retired which isn't surprising considering the sequel was 15-16 years ago. I really wished TVB didn't cheap out on Dicky, JTTW 1996 was and still is my all-time favourite TVB drama. They had a bigger budget in the sequel thanks to the success of the first one but didn't use it well.

The money they offered Dicky was dirt cheap compared to what the other cast members were getting, Wayne Lai was making way more than what he would have made! Instead they went cheap and got Benny Chan who was still a lower talent actor during that time. Even the goddess of mercy they picked a crappy replacement for her over Mimi Kung. They spent the rest of the budget on dragged out plots that shouldn't have even went that far. The two biggest ones involving the Six Eared Macaque and Tong Bei Yuan Hou. The Six Eared Macaque one should have followed the original plot and be 2 episodes max, the one with Tong Bei Yuan Hou should have been 3 episodes max. From that they would have saved about 7 episodes and could have used that money to pay Dicky and Mimi.

Another thing that was an eyesore was how much freaking stock footage TVB used in this series from the first one, especially the ending which was pretty much 4 minutes straight of stock footage from their dream of becoming buddhas in the first series. Benny just doesn't have the charisma to be the monkey king and he was too sad, and too stoned like in his movements but can't put too much blame on his performance since Dicky set the bar pretty damn high.

If they would have paid Dicky and then not get him to be in anymore future TVB dramas I would have been fine with that. Dicky earned the money he deserved and was in his prime during that time with Hong Kong TV and TVB just let their star actor walk out just like that. This sequel is pretty much a once in a lifetime shot since filming this series is very difficult and stressful.

Had Dicky been in the sequel it would have definitely been more successful as well as more recognized and acknowledged by people.

Dicky Cheung was meant to be in part 2 and part 2 is boring without him. It don't feel same without Dicky They may be older but CGI can change face. I hope TVB remake part 2 and bring same casts.................. The actor who their their role is perfect.
    It's my favorite show :'(

I thought part two was kind of slow and boring in the beginning but it picks up. I thought a lot of the cast stayed the same except Dicky, he mei tien, and maple hui. I do prefer Dicky over Benny but he was okay I guess at least he didn't try to copy Dicky. I have to agree I didn't enjoy Quest for the Sutra as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I thought part two was kind of slow and boring in the beginning but it picks up. I thought a lot of the cast stayed the same except Dicky, he mei tien, and maple hui. I do prefer Dicky over Benny but he was okay I guess at least he didn't try to copy Dicky. I have to agree I didn't enjoy Quest for the Sutra as much.
    I thought Part 1 was better because there was character development and we could see how the relationships were built after each obstacle. Part 2 was slow because there really was no development to the main characters the the villains in the sub-stories were more interesting in comparison (e.g. Er Lang Shen's mum and dad, Derek Kwok's evil monkey and his super Demonic Female Emperor girlfriend). But the chemistry isn't so bad in th part 2.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I actually felt bad for Derek Kwok's evil monkey. His story was touching how he sacrifice so much for the village and Angie also died transporting the gold pieces. It was awful for the people to use his statue as a tribute to Benny. Kind of sad over that, he gets very upset and eventually turns evil.

I actually felt bad for Derek Kwok's evil monkey. His story was touching how he sacrifice so much for the village and Angie also died transporting the gold pieces. It was awful for the people to use his statue as a tribute to Benny. Kind of sad over that, he gets very upset and eventually turns evil.
    I think what the story shows that evil can turn good, yet good can also turn evil.

I felt bad for Derek as well because he was actually an accomplished immortal yet let his jealousy and pride get the better of him. He had many chances to settle down with Angie who had waited 500 years for him but he just would not let go of his pride. But he truly dug his own grave and not only did he lose his life, it also caused Angie use everything that she had (including her body and sexuality) to go all out against Benny and co.

And the worst of it was that while she was still crazily in love with Derek, Derek had already let go of her and become an immortal again. And then Angie saw through everything and led all her minions to become Buddhist converts as well. If you look at it from a religious perspective, that looks like a happy ending since everyone is enlightened but if you look at it from a mortal's perspective, the ending sucks.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

ah I think your right, it can go both ways...

Another story I didn't understand is Marianne Chan's story. In the first part, I thought she died. But in the second part, she was part of Joey's group where they fulfill people wishes at a temple.

Another story I didn't understand is Marianne Chan's story. In the first part, I thought she died. But in the second part, she was part of Joey's group where they fulfill people wishes at a temple.
    That bit didn't make sense. Rain Lau was supposed to be reverted back to spider form for another 500 years after having her powers sucked dry by Chin Kar Lok yet she was back to her own self. I think TVB was just trying to create a happy ending by bring back old characters and making them repent and be enlightened.

I didn't get why Louisa So played both Joe's mum as well as the Dragon Queen of the Eastern Sea. Very confusing.
    Cyril Connolly

is Chin Kar Lok still with tvb? The last time I saw him was in super trio tv show.

it was nice to see some of the cast from first season come back. I thought Joyce Chan's character was a bit annoying. Gordon Liu was funny.