Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Canal 《大運河》 (1987)

Default The Grand Canal 《大運河》 (1987)

This was TVB's 1987 Anniversary series. About 60 episodes, I think. What did you guys think about it?

Lawrence Ng plays the scheming villain (as usual)

Jimmy Au Shui Wai plays Lee Jing, a role which he reprises in "Twin of Brothers 2004"

About Tony Leung's character, Kau Yeem Hak (Cheung Sam Long) is he real or just a folk tale hero?

A long time ago, a magazine said that many viewers were upset that Felix Wong played a villain, so they wrote tons of letters into TVB..heh.
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-20-08 at 08:09 PM.

i watched this sometime on 1990, but im too young then to remember much of this series. what stays in my mind were fragments of the series. i do remember lawrence ng as yang kuang (the evil last emperor of sui dynasty who killed his brother and dad) and of course tony and idy. but i remember i love this series! is the vcd version of this already released? im thinking of purchasing this series.
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by Omniflame
    This was TVB's 1987 Anniversary series. About 60 episodes, I think. What did you guys think about it?

Lawrence Ng plays the scheming villain (as usual)

Jimmy Au Shui Wai plays Lee Jing, a role which he reprises in "Twin of Brothers 2004"

About Tony Leung's character, Kau Yeem Hak (Cheung Sam Long) is he real or just a folk tale hero?

A long time ago, a magazine said that many viewers were upset that Felix Wong played a villain, so they wrote tons of letters into TVB..heh.
    The Grand Canal was certainly one of the great series that Tony Leung made during his time with TVB. The pair between Tony Leung and Idy Chan was fantastic even though there was a rumour that both of them could not get along well with each other. The other actors such as Liu Kai Chi and Sean Lau Ching Wan were also great. I personally like this series quite a lot even though I have watched it long times ago.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

I dont like tony leung in it.. his beard look ackward and he always had this i'm too cool laugh.
    SPOILERS
    didn't like how Felix got killed by Tony..

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai girls are hot
    I dont like tony leung in it.. his beard look
    didn't like how Felix got killed by Tony..

OH i rememebr this series,

FOr Shanghai, obviously, Tony is much better in Felix, kung fu wise. During a battle against Felix, Tony defeated the Felix's troops and chased after Felix. Felix, knowing that he would lose, "begged" Tony for his life. THen he used a knife from under his feet and tried to attacked Tony. Tony saw this and chopped Felix's leg.

He realized that Felix has no hope so he killed Felix.

anyways, this was a pretty good series. IT was a lil long and draggy at some parts, but it had good plot. It was full of twists and plots, and my, wonderful constumes and casts
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

From what I remember this is a great series... lots of famous charactor and Felix playing a role that I thought was good then turn bad

Ida is very pretty in this one... the only thing i thought was werid was Tony with his beard
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

i never finished watching this series... 60 eps is alot
    yeah sugar, i know what happened.. just used to Felix being the hero in all his serials. why does the bad guys always die? that sucks.. would be cool if Felix killed tony and shave his beard ha ha

Isn't Tony not allowed to killed Felix Wong because he owes him or something? I remember a part where he captures Felix and then Felix said he couldn't kill him because he owes him.

I remember this series. I watched it when I was very young. Never really liked it that much. I found it kind of draggy. Great cast though. I didn't think Tony fit the character, he looked way too young and the beard was awkward looking on him. I didn't really like Felix playing a villain either, he's better at playing the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Omniflame
    Isn't Tony not allowed to killed Felix Wong because he owes him or something? I remember a part where he captures Felix and then Felix said he couldn't kill him because he owes him.
    It has to do with Felix's sister, making Tony promise her not to harm her brother. Then she killed herself.

is the vcd of this already released? i want to buy this. miss this series so much
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

This is def. one of the best series TVB ever made. Just love Tony and Idy playing a couple

so what's tony's role here? is he an emperor or something?
    cherrie

Nope he's not the emperor he plays Kau Yim Hak.

er? so he's a general or something?
    i vaguely remember there's an emperor there. i think the emperor during that time was li sh min?
    cherrie

No he isn't a general, his family i think used to work for the former dynasty. So i think he was kinda working to get the former royal family back to power or something. Anyway the royal family now is named Yang and Idy plays the princess of this dynasty. So you see that Kau Yim Hak and the princess were ofcourse having issues but the fell in love ofcourse

During the story the younger prince killed his brother and father to became the new emperor, a really *******. People started rebellion and there were three groups/armies that could take the capital and become the new emperor. Kau Yim Hak, Li Shai Man and "Felix Wong" led the armies and at last KYH led Li shai Man win while he and Idy went to an island and became emperor there.

ah yes, i do remember the ending. somehow i can recall now some of lawrence ng's evil performance here. i've always wondered though why it's called grand canal. is it because yang kuang built those extravagant yachts and opened several canals?
    cherrie

i remember this series.. felix the main villian

I think so Cherrie but im not 100% sure.

Derek Kok is in this series as well, as Lee Yuenba (Li Yuanba). Felix Wong kills him though.