Thread: Tips on Dealing with a frozen computer screen?

Default Tips on Dealing with a frozen computer screen?

What do you do when your computer screen is frozen?

Somebody told me a long time ago if you do Ctrl+alt Del it would do more harm than help on the longer run?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    What do you do when your computer screen is frozen?

Somebody told me a long time ago if you do Ctrl+alt Del it would do more harm than help on the longer run?

normally it's a software problem (window file corruption) or simply one of the driver isn't working and you triggered it some how.

Or your Hardware is out of wack (HDD gone sour, RAM or worst yet mobo).

in short, no way to pin down 100% unless someone who knows take a look at it.

Yes do ctrl+alt+del, Then open task manager and try to close whatever programs are frozen.

If windows is frozen to where nothing works then a restart or shutdown is the only option.
    Last edited by oGaKirA; 07-14-09 at 02:13 AM.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Previously Ctrl-Alt-Delete means for restarting the computer. Now it's not, with the new operating systems.

If you press Ctrl-Alt-delete, it will bring you to the Windows Task Manager which got a list of all current active apps and background task list called processes. It will show you which program that freeze, click/select those app and press the end task button.

If that doesn't work, go to the task list (processes), and go directly to the file itself by forcing it to terminate. Well, you should know what you're doing with this. Usually the filename is the same with the app name. For example the process/task for Firefox app is Firefox.exe. Click those and press the *end process* button.

Most of the time, this will work for all cases. If the program still crash, you should restart your Window. If that still not work, for example the mouse and keyboard not responding, don't smash the keyboard LOL, (I sometimes do that when I'm doing important things and the computer freeze for no apparent reason) you need to force shutdown it by switching off the power supply. That is what we called cold/hard boot. The warm boot is referring to booting through the OS command on Windows by pressing the restart/shutdown button.

If you have a laptop and everything freeze, just pull out the battery and put it back to restart. However there are some laptop that you cannot pull out the battery. For that case they only thing you can do is to let the battery drain out and restart .

Cold/hard boot might give you a problem in a long run because of the fragmented files. Well it's too long to explain here, check the wiki for it. To prevent that make sure you do schedule fragmentation. The application for defragmentation of hard drive is located at:

Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter.

At least do hard drive defragmentation once a week. Or if you computer on 24 hours like mine, you can schedule it to do the auto-defrag when you are asleep for example around 3-4 AM in the morning.
    Last edited by rosely; 07-14-09 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    Previously Ctrl-Alt-Delete means for restarting the computer. Now it's not, with the new operating systems.

If you press Ctrl-Alt-delete, it will bring you to the Windows Task Manager which got a list of all current active apps and background task list called processes. It will show you which program that freeze, click/select those app and press the end task button.
    previously? how previous was this? i have always used the ctrl-alt-delete when my computer is frozen, it brings up the task manager all the time, even back in middle school ... which was a VERY long time ago. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    previously? how previous was this? i have always used the ctrl-alt-delete when my computer is frozen, it brings up the task manager all the time, even back in middle school ... which was a VERY long time ago. -_-
    Sensei, the evolution of Windows:

- Windows 3.0
    - Windows 3.11
    - Windows 95
    - Windows 98
    - Windows 2000
    - Windows XP
    - Windows VISTA
    - Windows 7

so, take your pick, which Window is your first

Sensei, the evolution of Windows:

- Windows 3.0
    - Windows 3.11
    - Windows 95
    - Windows 98
    - Windows 2000
    - Windows XP
    - Windows VISTA
    - Windows 7

so, take your pick, which Window is your first

you didn't answer my question. which previous version(s) was it that ctrl-alt-delete just restarted your computer?

you didn't answer my question. which previous version(s) was it that ctrl-alt-delete just restarted your computer?
    Sensei, here, all you want to know about the Three Finger Salute LOL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/keyboard.jpg')

If it's frozen, then you'll need to leave it out for a few hours to thaw. If you're in a hurry, of course, you might stick it in the oven and turn on low heat. Some microwaves also have a thawing function.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.osbornevillagestudio.com/images/mona-lisa.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.blisstree.com/jewelryandbeading/files/2008/07/starry-night-van-gogh.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://getfantasticdeals.com/library/Picasso-GirlBeforeaMirror2436.jpg')

Sensei, here, all you want to know about the Three Finger Salute LOL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete
    i didn't ask for a wikipedia page, cause i am not that interested in the topic. just your first post made me wonder what you meant by 'previously'. next time if you don't want to answer just ignore my post. thank you.

i didn't ask for a wikipedia page, cause i am not that interested in the topic. just your first post made me wonder what you meant by 'previously'. next time if you don't want to answer just ignore my post. thank you.
    Ok, I apologize, sensei, for my ignorance, here it is the answer to your question:

Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete (C-A-D) for the following Windows Version:

- Windows 3.0: warm/soft reboot

- Windows 3.11: warm/soft reboot

- Windows 95: 1st C-A-D, popup the process window, 2nd C-A-D - warm/soft reboot

- Windows 98: 1st C-A-D, popup the process window, 2nd C-A-D - warm/soft reboot

- Windows 2000 - Showing only the task manager, no soft/warm reboot available only through the Shutdown button (accessible through the task manager)

- Windows XP - same as above
    - Windows VISTA - same as above
    - Windows 7 - same as above
    Last edited by rosely; 07-15-09 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    If it's frozen, then you'll need to leave it out for a few hours to thaw. If you're in a hurry, of course, you might stick it in the oven and turn on low heat. Some microwaves also have a thawing function.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.osbornevillagestudio.com/images/mona-lisa.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.blisstree.com/jewelryandbeading/files/2008/07/starry-night-van-gogh.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://getfantasticdeals.com/library/Picasso-GirlBeforeaMirror2436.jpg')

LOL, is that one those night Ken, I understand loneliness is something that is so hard to endure. Try living in some foreign country, with no one close that you know, staying in the attic, in a small room that fit with only one single bed, the same bed that you use for work, eat and entertainment (I mean watching pirate movies and tv show LOL). Those are the thing that can test your endurance and humanity .

Ok, back to your solutions on freeze computer, if everything that you suggest not work, my last resort is to RECYCLE the computer using the Window (your room Window LOL) as the recycle bin.

It will reboot your computer when in DOS.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    It will reboot your computer when in DOS.
    thanks girl!