Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrest of Henry Louis Gates

Default Arrest of Henry Louis Gates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrest_of_Henry_Gates

What do you think about the incident?
    Who is at fault? The police officer? Professor Henry Gates?
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 07-26-09 at 04:13 PM.

There's blame for all parties here, and the situation just really wasn't handled well at the start. I can imagine why this renowned scholar and professor would be pissed at having cops hassle him at his own home, but on the other hand, he was wrong to give the cops shit (NEVER do that, no matter what ethnicity you are). And Obama jumped the gun with his comment a bit early, before knowing what's going on.

I think the way this thing is being settled now is best; Obama invites'm both in, they have a beer, clink glasses, and let bygones be bygones.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Many cops are a-holes. The prof is one of those people who probably thinks highly of himself too. I am not saying that's what happened cuz I obviously don't know. It's just a guess.

It's not like what you see on cop shows... on TV they present themselves as politely as they can, obviously.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

In this case, all parties have their faults. But if I have to place more fault onto a specific party, I'd say the cops. Yes, the professor should not have further aggrevated the police (and that's the case no matter who you are - don't mess with them alone directly, it will not lead to good things). But to his defense - he had just came home from what most likely was a long flight, was probably very tired, and found out he can't get into his own house. Anyone in that situation would probably already be in a negative mood. And then he got accused of burglary. Given that racial profiling is something that still widely exists in North America, and given that the professor probably was not in his most clear state of mind at the moment, his reaction was understandable. Not the best reaction to solve the problem, but it was understandable.

As for the police, to arrest the professor just seemed to be an overreaction. He was not threatening them in any way, he did eventually show his ID, and he probably explained the situation to them. They could have let him off with a warning.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

the gun and badge gives some cops power trips. Lets face it, would someone be a cop if he had the brains and skills to be something else better? The worst ones are just like thugs with uniforms.

THat's not to say there aren't nice guy cops because there are. Many of them. It depends on your luck whether you run into a good one or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Many cops are a-holes. The prof is one of those people who probably thinks highly of himself too. I am not saying that's what happened cuz I obviously don't know. It's just a guess.

It's not like what you see on cop shows... on TV they present themselves as politely as they can, obviously.
    that's not true at all man, when do you usually sees cop? when you ****ed up, and when you ****ed up and a cop is on your ***, do you love that cop? probably not.

Cops deals with shit that takes their life in a split sec, i don't blame them for being asses.

I think it's a bit harsh to generalize that cops only become cops because they don't have the "brains or skills" to do something else better. Sure enough, there are some who are like that, but not all. Many do become cops because they want to help serve the community.

Based on my experience, the majority of the cops are decent and caring individuals who want to help the community (at least in my area).

Obviously there will be rotten cops. But that's the case with pretty much all occupations.
    Last edited by xJadedx; 07-27-09 at 05:55 PM.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    that's not true at all man, when do you usually sees cop? when you ****ed up, and when you ****ed up and a cop is on your ***, do you love that cop? probably not.

Cops deals with shit that takes their life in a split sec, i don't blame them for being asses.
    i agree with this.
    dont matter if the prof had a long flight or having a bad day when u put ur life into ur job u better be respectful to them. IF u show a fit than the cops have a reason to have a caution on u.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Agree with warlock as well. In addition, totally disagree that cops are cops just because they 'lack brains' or 'skills'.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post

Warlock, I get what you are insinuating, but I’ve never had a run in with a cop. I have seen some cops’ attitude and treatment of people in the streets though. Pretty ladies, yeah they’ll be treated well most likely. Old ladies, people who don’t understand English, you’re out of luck. Since you don’t think what I said is true “at all,” I assume you don’t think some cops get power trips from the badget and uniform.

And a general reply: Once again, people here have knee jerk reactions. Please, please, read what I actually wrote instead of oh, how dare he say this and that when in reality I did not say what you conveniently think I said.

I am not blasting all cops. In case no one noticed, I clearly stated many cops are nice. It depends on your luck which kind you run into. (kinda said it in those words)

In regards to brain and skills, I am saying that if they had the brain and skills to do something BETTER – notice how wener left out “better,” making it seem like I was saying that being a cop is the bottom of the totem pole (probably didn't do it intentionally, but the result is the same)- they wouldn't be cops.

What I mean by BETTER is, if they could make better money working a safer job than being a cop, they wouldn’t be a cop. (And obviously, there are always exceptions. What I mean is most cops.) Would you? If you would, please join the force.
    Last edited by jiang bao; 07-27-09 at 05:04 PM.

Thank you for the clarification.

My prior response still stands as I wrote it, even with the word "better" included (edited). Also, I never interpreted what you said originally to mean that being a cop is the "bottom of the totem pole."
    My love and my agony.

How come I haven't seen anyone argue the other way? That Henry Gates was guilty of racial profiling as well! He sees a white cop and automatically become defensive. Instead of cooperating with the police and providing evidence that he belongs in the house, he starts arguing with the cop about racial profiling. What a hypocrite!

I place the blame squarely on Henry Gates' shoulders. I don't care that he just came back from a long flight. I don't care if he's tired. I don't care that he's a respected Harvard professor. Show the cop your identification, tell him thanks for showing up to investigate a "suspected" bulgary at YOUR home, and get on with your day. He wasted more time and energy arguing with the police then cooperating with them.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    Thank you for the clarification.

My prior response still stands as I wrote it, even with the word "better" included (edited). Also, I never interpreted what you said originally to mean that being a cop is the "bottom of the totem pole."
    It wasn't so much a clarification as it was a repeat of basically what I said originally. Just added some capital letters...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
    How come I haven't seen anyone argue the other way? That Henry Gates was guilty of racial profiling as well! He sees a white cop and automatically become defensive. Instead of cooperating with the police and providing evidence that he belongs in the house, he starts arguing with the cop about racial profiling. What a hypocrite!

I place the blame squarely on Henry Gates' shoulders. I don't care that he just came back from a long flight. I don't care if he's tired. I don't care that he's a respected Harvard professor. Show the cop your identification, tell him thanks for showing up to investigate a "suspected" bulgary at YOUR home, and get on with your day. He wasted more time and energy arguing with the police then cooperating with them.
    i agree with this. and i'm not pro or anti-obama, but i find it interesting that he jumped the gun and criticized the cop without substantial evidence. mind you, i have very little respect for cops seeing how they are more interested in giving out tickets as opposed to fighting crime in my neighborhood, but in regards to this case, i place more blame on gates.

btw, cops in certain counties admit that they get promoted and rewarded based on how many arrest and tickets they bring in, not based on establishing rapport with the community, which explains why some cops don't care if they're jerks and why many disrespect cops. i grew up thinking that cops were there to make me feel safe, not to feel paranoid around them even if i've done nothing wrong.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Well I might be the only one on here who's actually been jacked up by a cop for zero reason, so I'll weigh in. I don't have a problem with anything that occurred up until the point where the cop slapped handcuffs on Gates. I don't have a problem with the 911 call or the cop checking out the house and verifying ID. But there are several judicial precedents that have established that you can't be disorderly in your own home.

I think the cop asked him outside, knowing that law, so that he could take him to jail. Did Gates run off at the mouth too much? Sure. But this isn't Iran. In America, the right to freedom of speech doesn't have an asterisk next to it that reads "unless you're speaking to a cop." I don't think it was racial profiling, but the bottom line is, you don't take a dude to jail for running off at the mouth in his own home in this country. Unless you just want to show him that you can. Not the act of a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Well I might be the only one on here who's actually been jacked up by a cop for zero reason, so I'll weigh in. I don't have a problem with anything that occurred up until the point where the cop slapped handcuffs on Gates. I don't have a problem with the 911 call or the cop checking out the house and verifying ID. But there are several judicial precedents that have established that you can't be disorderly in your own home.

I think the cop asked him outside, knowing that law, so that he could take him to jail. Did Gates run off at the mouth too much? Sure. But this isn't Iran. In America, the right to freedom of speech doesn't have an asterisk next to it that reads "unless you're speaking to a cop." I don't think it was racial profiling, but the bottom line is, you don't take a dude to jail for running off at the mouth in his own home in this country. Unless you just want to show him that you can. Not the act of a professional.
    Did you know that there was a black cop at the scene with the white cop and he supports the arrest 100%? It's sad that even the president himself sticks to his color and criticises the police without knowing the fact. If the professor was white and the police was black, I doubt he would criticise the police. Instead, I bet he would praise the police for doing their job. If Bush was the current president, this wouldn't happen either way.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post

Couldn't better worded.
    Cops have to deal with dangerous situations on a regular basis so no doubt that they have to take everything very seriously at all times. Obama should apologize to the police department for criticised them without even know the fact of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Did you know that there was a black cop at the scene with the white cop and he supports the arrest 100%? It's sad that even the president himself sticks to his color and criticises the police without knowing the fact. If the professor was white and the police was black, I doubt he would criticise the police. Instead, I bet he would praise the police for doing their job. If Bush was the current president, this wouldn't happen either way.
    What does a black cop being there have anything to do with what I said? Did you see the word racist in my post even once? Or profiling? Most of the people who disagree with the cops action, disagree b/c they know you don't take an 80 year old man to jail for disorderly conduct in his own home. As to your other point, would Bush have even been asked the question at the press conference? Haven't thought that deeply about it have you?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Couldn't better worded.
    Cops have to deal with dangerous situations on a regular basis so no doubt that they have to take everything very seriously at all times. Obama should apologize to the police department for criticised them without even know the fact of the situation.
    I know what cops have to deal with better than you. My best friend is one, and my ex-girlfriend is one. Like I said in my original post, I don't have any problem with the cop's actions up until the point he went back up on the porch and slapped handcuffs on Gates...instead of acting like the trained professional that he is and getting in his squad car and leaving.

As far as I'm concerned:

The police officers were doing their job.

Gates got defensive and overreacted.

Obama overreacted before he knew the facts.

Gates and Obama say they want this unfortunate incident to be a "teachable moment" for America. I say let this be a teachable moment about judgment for the Harvard professor & the President.
    Last edited by PJ; 07-29-09 at 11:25 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」