View Poll Results: Should sex selection be permitted?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 33.33%
  • No

10 66.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should sex selection be permitted?

We assume that most parents will choose to have sons? I'm sure many wouldn't mind having a balance family or choose a daughter.

I think I'd prefer to have a daughter if I could only have one kid.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    We assume that most parents will choose to have sons? I'm sure many wouldn't mind having a balance family or choose a daughter.

I think I'd prefer to have a daughter if I could only have one kid.
    Most people in Canada, using sex selection is for the reason of balance family, not for just prefering sons. See, you are an example of people prefer daughter over son and you are entitle to it as it's none of anyone else business as long as you pay for it out of your pocket, not through government healthcare.

I voted yes. We've been messing with natural selection as long as medicine has been around, and its just one more step in human evolution.

Since I'm INTJ:

- government subsidized/tax credits based on income & full subsidy/tax credit for families with only two children of the same sex (to avoid families having kids just to get one of the other gender).
    - privately run with companies required to spend X on beneficial genetic research.
    - independent panel to track and research impacts of gender selection.

...and if you haven't read Brave New World, please do so now... http://www.huxley.net/bnw/index.html
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

no, no and no.
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

no, no and no.
    Why, Why and Why?

QF
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

Wow, despite the ban, sex selection is still widespread in both India and China.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/-S...ountry-/645145

http://wduqnews.blogspot.com/2010/06...-abortion.html

it shouldn't be, it would be just one step towards 'creating the fully customised baby'. already people are indulging in plastic surgery...if customising features can be done prior to 'birth', just what other social issues would we come up with?

granted, those who wished to pursue a medical career might be in for a lucrative market.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

To eradicate this preference for boys over girls, society mindset should be change. I see the cause of all these bias preference are

- family name
    - dowry
    - the tradition of women marrying out
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    To eradicate this preference for boys over girls, society mindset should be change. I see the cause of all these bias preference are

- family name
    - dowry
    - the tradition of women marrying out
    My solution would be let people get what they wanted. If they want boy, let them have it. If they want girl, let them have it. However, they should pay for the procedure out of their own pocket. I don't see how it affect me or anyone if someone in the neighborhood choose sex selection. It's their freedom to do so and none of anyone else business.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    My solution would be let people get what they wanted. If they want boy, let them have it. If they want girl, let them have it. However, they should pay for the procedure out of their own pocket. I don't see how it affect me or anyone if someone in the neighborhood choose sex selection. It's their freedom to do so and none of anyone else business.
    thats actually a dangerous thought. far too many people believed in the 'its none of my business' concept, and does thing with zero regard to the consequences of the community.

already history had taught us, time and time again, how a few self-absorbed people could effectively wipe the entire nation. the only way to behave responsibily is to recognise that ever action we take will always have an impact in the community; where or not the resultant effect is apparent or not.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    thats actually a dangerous thought. far too many people believed in the 'its none of my business' concept, and does thing with zero regard to the consequences of the community.

already history had taught us, time and time again, how a few self-absorbed people could effectively wipe the entire nation. the only way to behave responsibily is to recognise that ever action we take will always have an impact in the community; where or not the resultant effect is apparent or not.
    Can you be more specific??
    Regarding sex selection, if your neighbor choose to use sex selection, how does it affect you or anyone else in town or society as a whole? For couples who already have 2/3 girls/boys and wish for a boy/girl so they going for sex selection to get what they wish for, what is wrong with that?? Why should they live in misery for the rest of their life just to satisfy other people belief?

-----------------------------
    Note: I would like to wish death to bully/bullies for keep changing my avatar against my will.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-02-10 at 04:58 PM.

Can you be more specific??
    Regarding sex selection, if your neighbor choose to use sex selection, how does it affect you or anyone else in town or society as a whole? For couples who already have 2/3 girls/boys and wish for a boy/girl so they going for sex selection to have a get what they wish for, what is wrong with that?? Why should they live in misery for the rest of their life just to satisfy other people belief?
    Well somethings aren't straightforward; even if I were to give you a long essay of explanation; you would not accept it. For your case, I would wait for some time; perhaps when you are more open-minded, before I explain further.

Perhaps 5, 10 years?
    o wilku mowa...♪

Maybe legalising sex selection is not that bad when people are already doing it anyway in a more gruesome manner.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...,prtpage-1.cms

By legalising it, government can monitor the act.

Maybe legalising sex selection is not that bad when people are already doing it anyway in a more gruesome manner.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...,prtpage-1.cms

By legalising it, government can monitor the act.
    I agree.
    People should be allowed to do whatever they wanted as long their actions doesn't affect anyone or society.

I agree.
    People should be allowed to do whatever they wanted as long their actions doesn't affect anyone or society.
    Sex selection did affect the society. Allowing it is lesser of 2 evils.

So, sex selection should come with certain criteria and prerequisite.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-15-10 at 11:54 PM.

Sex selection did affect the society. Allowing it is lesser of 2 evils.
    How does it affect society? If your neighbor chooses to have sex selection and pay for it out of their own pocket, how does it affect you or anyone else? There is no victim. Most people use sex selection to balance their family as they want to have both son and daughter. Let me ask you this, why should they live in misery for the rest of their lives just to satisfy other people belief? why? why? why?

So, sex selection should come with certain criteria and prerequisite.
    If you believe in freedom, then it should be allowed regardless whether you like it or not. It's their privacy and none of anyone else business. Who are you to dictate their lives??? For people in China and India, if they want sons over daughters, let them have it. Who care??
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-16-10 at 12:02 AM.

How does it affect society? If your neighbor chooses to have sex selection and pay for it out of their own pocket, how does it affect you or anyone else? There is no victim. Most people use sex selection to balance their family as they want to have both son and daughter. Let me ask you this, why should they live in misery for the rest of their lives just to satisfy other people belief? why? why? why?
    Because of this
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/w...foetuses.html?

Statistics from the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences - published by The Economist - estimate that by 2020, China will have 30million-40million more men aged 19 and below than women in the same age group.
    This will result in one in five young men in the country being unable to find a bride, according to CASS.
    According to The Economist, the crime rate has almost doubled in China during the past 20 years of rising sex ratios, including bride abduction, the trafficking of women rape and prostitution.
    A study by the Institute for the Study of Labour in Bonn, Germany, into whether these elements were connected found that they were, and that higher sex ratios accounted for about one seventh of the rise in crime.
    The result of unregulated sex selection.

And no. Most people use sex selection to get a son. Daughters are just by product. Even you yourself think sons are more important than daughters (I read this sentiments from you in several discussions here, although can't find it now). I have seen many women keep on giving birth until she gets a son. But, I've not seen a woman do so for a daughter.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-16-10 at 12:07 AM.

Because of this
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/w...foetuses.html?

The result of unregulated sex selection.

And no. Most people use sex selection to get a son. Daughters are just by product. Even you yourself think sons are more important than daughters (I read this sentiments from you in several discussions here, although can't find it now). I have seen many women keep on giving birth until she gets a son. But, I've not seen a woman do so for a daughter.
    I believe in FREEDOM. Whatever people want to do with their lives is none anyone else business as long as their actions don't affect others. By the way, I did not say sons are more important than daughters. However, if I can only have 1 child then I would rather to have a son than a daughter because it's less worrisomes. At least, I don't have to worry much about rape or getting pregnant by some losers. For people who want sons, let them have it. It's their choice to make, not yours or mine. It's none of anyone else business.

There are people use sex selection for daughters as well. People who have two or three sons would do so. However, they are mostly caucasians.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-16-10 at 12:21 AM.

You mean the ability to choose from a son or a daughter? Well, before putting such a law or practice, we should be sure if the society in question considers boys and girsl as equals, which is, unfortunately, not the case evrywhere.
    It would make me sincerely laugh if a machist society who's members all choose sons end up someday with a whole male population. That would be the fair taste of their own medecine! So, if sex selection is legal there, then, let them all choose sons and let's look at them fall into their own trap!
    To me, sex selection is far less important than other causes like excision. Excision must be stopped everywhere!!! It makes me so mad to see women and little girls suffer such a mutilation just to satisfy a machist point of view of their society! Mentalities should be changed and quick
    But of course, changing mentalities also means that women are bought to respect men as well. We have to prove we're worth it. I don't like i when, in my country, see a teenage girl laugh at some boy she finds unfit. Just like I don't like seeing boys judge girls just by the size of their chest.

LET'S PUT EQUALITY IN OUR MINDS FOR EVERYONE.