Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What made Hong Lung 18 Palms a special, elite martial art?

Note that learning the Xianglong Palms by no means elevates you to Great level. It didn't to Guo Jing, even after he learned all 18 he needed the inner power boost from the Jiuyin text to get close to the four leading martial artists. Same with other practitioners such as Yelu Qi, the various Beggar Clan leaders and so on.

The rationale for why Kang Long You Hui is so powerful is quite profound and I don't think any of the explanations have done it justice. We need the assistance of someone who has a deeper understanding of the ideas contained within the text: Huang Yushi, please...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    It's an open question as to the martial arts level of the person who created 9 Yang; though Jin Yong seems to stress his knowledge of the Dao, Buddhism and other philosophies more than anything else.
    9yangzj and 9yingzj both runs solely on Taoist principles. 9yangzj was created on using Yang instead of Yin energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    Note that learning the Xianglong Palms by no means elevates you to Great level. It didn't to Guo Jing, even after he learned all 18 he needed the inner power boost from the Jiuyin text to get close to the four leading martial artists. Same with other practitioners such as Yelu Qi, the various Beggar Clan leaders and so on.

The rationale for why Kang Long You Hui is so powerful is quite profound and I don't think any of the explanations have done it justice. We need the assistance of someone who has a deeper understanding of the ideas contained within the text: Huang Yushi, please...

Learning a skill, as opposed to getting a skill right, in this case, Gj's slow progress at the learning of the Xl18z proves that Xl18z was very difficult to learn even for someone like Gj who may not be smart in books or wiles, had very strong foundations in martial arts. Even after H7g had tried so hard to trained him, he was still a bumbling green horner when it comes to grasping the stances and doing it correctly and it took quite a great while for Gj to catch on with much direction and training. Not that his Mongolian upbringing has something to do with it.
    if Gj had an expert like H7g to teach him and it took so long, what hopes have Yeluqi and the rest if it was passed down directly from Gj.

Actually, I think that if we ignore H7G's words, GJ actually learnt the Xl18Z pretty darned fast.

He mastered most of the palms within weeks or months. For an elite lofty art like XL18Z (I mean, only like 2 or 3 people at most know the skill at any time), mastering 15 out of 18 palms in such a short time is pretty impressive right?

Look at Shi Huolong who seemed to have spent years(?) and still didnt complete it.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Don't forget H7G is a pretty lazy fellow. Also the elites are not very patient people, apart from maybe Yideng.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Actually, I think that if we ignore H7G's words, GJ actually learnt the Xl18Z pretty darned fast.

He mastered most of the palms within weeks or months. For an elite lofty art like XL18Z (I mean, only like 2 or 3 people at most know the skill at any time), mastering 15 out of 18 palms in such a short time is pretty impressive right?

Look at Shi Huolong who seemed to have spent years(?) and still didnt complete it.
    Well if we take into account what either Taoist Qiu or Wang said, (forget which) 3 days of learning from Hong is equal to like 10 years of training (surely exaggerated), we might have to give credit to Hong being an awesome teacher than GJ being a quick learner or advanced pupil.

I don't remember who saying it but someone said GJ is good martial arts material. He's like a good piece of wood for crafting except for martial arts instead. He's slow, but has a natural talent with martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by person135 View Post
    I don't remember who saying it but someone said GJ is good martial arts material. He's like a good piece of wood for crafting except for martial arts instead. He's slow, but has a natural talent with martial arts.

If Yg was in Gj's place, it'll take like one day if not one week to understand and then master it with time on his own without giving the teacher all that frustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    HL18Z was an amazing martial art. But it didn't make a person a Great level martial artist. The Original Greats are great not because they had great martial arts but because they were martial arts geniuses.

Guo Jing needed an elite martial art like 9 Yin to become a Great. Yang Guo needed an elite martial art like HIS (and snake gall bladders) to become a Great. Zhang Wuji needed an elite martial art like 9 Yang to become a Great.

Hard work is a common denominator amongst all of them.

However, would GJ, YG or ZWJ have become Greats with only HL18Z+Quanzhen internal, Quanzhen+Jade Maiden internal and sword skills or only Wudang martial arts+7 injury fists? I have my doubts.

Well Zhou Botong with only Quanzhen skills + Vacant Fist could reach "greathood" without 9 Yin Hong Qigong even didn't have anything special about internal method also could reach great status also Qiu Qianren Huang Yaoshi and Ouyang Feng they never learn 9 Yin or something like that so I believe Guo Jing or Yang Guo or Wuji would be reach great status even without 9 Yin/Yang though might be not as fast as if they learn with 9 Yin/Yang given their talent and Guo Jing for his determination and hard working (like Naruto and Goku)..

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Hl18z main point is it looks simple on the outside but the inner power usage is complicated and brilliant. Other plam skills have more complex moves with simple inner power execution

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    Hl18z main point is it looks simple on the outside but the inner power usage is complicated and brilliant. Other plam skills have more complex moves with simple inner power execution
    Yeeep 18 Dragon Palm is not about "stance" but more about how to utilize your force for greatest extend to overwhelmed your opponents..

What I imagine from XL18Z is that it is not a technique that involve a series of kungfu form practice, but more of discipline of rigorous training of both external (muscle building) and internal power. The art is used to maximize the output of damage that caused by the practitioner's palm strike. And to reach that target, XL18Z involve many training method. And that training method is classified by 18 level of training.

So basically that 18 palms are not a series of 18 form of martial art technique, but 18 level of rigorous training method that used to maximize the muscle and inner power of the practitioner.

If anyone of you have read Korean Manhwa called "The Peerlest Dad"; perhap XL18Z application is just the same as the MC of that Manhwa's battle technique.

I wonder why the depiction of 18 Dragon Palm in Chinese TV often looks like Kamehame / Hadou Ken to me.Basically a forward palm strike that result of energy blast to the enemy. Is that the right description of 18 Dragon Palm in the novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsuker View Post
    I wonder why the depiction of 18 Dragon Palm in Chinese TV often looks like Kamehame / Hadou Ken to me.Basically a forward palm strike that result of energy blast to the enemy. Is that the right description of 18 Dragon Palm in the novel?
    Many of manga & others similar to wuxia story, superhero are "copying" or "isnpired" each other. We can see how similar Dragon Ball with Son Go Ku to Sun Go Kong from Journey to the West and the others .
    Just look at who first publish it. The one coming later might be inspired or copy some of them in to the new story.

I think it is common.