Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you dump your boyfriend/girlfriend if they lost their arms?

Default Would you dump your boyfriend/girlfriend if they lost their arms?

And I mean they lost both arms. Would you remain with them or would you leave? Think about it before you answer, you will have to feed them, you will have to "help" them out in the restroom.

Not immediately, but eventually. I have the idea it would not work out if both arms are lost...
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

It would really depend on the quality and stability of the relationship and on the person.
    And how the boyfriend would be dealing with the whole situation, that would be an important factor as well. If I saw he was depending on me and giving up all attempts at at least some degree of self-dependency, I might get tired of his attitude.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    It would really depend on the quality and stability of the relationship and on the person.
    And how the boyfriend would be dealing with the whole situation, that would be an important factor as well. If I saw he was depending on me and giving up all attempts at at least some degree of self-dependency, I might get tired of his attitude.
    It's hard to have much independency when you lose both arms. You practically can't do anything unless you learn to use your feet to substitute the arms and hands.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I've never taken care of anyone's toiletry needs before. I don't know how badly that will affect me.

If the feelings are still there, who knows, I might be able to work through it. But if they get all PTSD mentally jaded from trauma or something, then who knows.

i would still be with that person. it can be a burden but when people are in love they can do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    It's hard to have much independency when you lose both arms. You practically can't do anything unless you learn to use your feet to substitute the arms and hands.
    Sure it's hard and if you lose your arms as an adult, I guess it's extremely difficult to learn to live with the handicap, but as long as the rest of you is intact and more or less alright, things can be done and arranged to allow you at least some degree of self-dependency. It is, however, very difficult and demanding for eveyrone involved, incl. family/spouse - and if I saw that my partner is giving in to self-pity and doesn't even *try* to cope with the situation, my patience would run out rather quickly, I imagine.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

yes, if I didn't love her. If I did, I would at least try to work it out. If it becomes too hard having someone being that dependent on you, I might dump her later. Hard to tell what you're going to do until it actually happens.

Eh lets be honest here, in reality most people would say yes even though its harsh and i guess maybe i'm one of them. But ill probably still help her out just not in the romantic way.

Break ups during dating happens alot so its common especially in the early stage of bf/gf. Dealing with no arms, now that hard to get over with for anyone.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

I can’t say yes or no because I don’t know. What people say they’ll do and what they actually do when a dramatic situation happens is different.

I do know I will stay around until she is at least recovered from the injury – in other words, other than having no arms, she is otherwise “ok.” After that, no idea.
    ----

PS, I meant to write this in the original reply but somehow forgot.

Aren't prosthetic arms a possibility?
    Last edited by jiang bao; 09-28-09 at 12:26 PM.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    I can’t say yes or no because I don’t know. What people say they’ll do and what they actually do when a dramatic situation happens is different.
    I agree, and so I don't want to answer such a hypothetical question. I do know, there will be a strain in the relationship because of his pride or some other reason that's related to his handicap.

But I know there has been at least one case of a woman with no arms and her husband stayed with her. They have children together and when she made the news several years ago. She was a woman who could ultilize her legs, feet, and mouth to care for her infant child. It just shows that even without arms, she could still lead a somewhat normal life.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-28-09 at 12:16 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I honestly don't know if I would... I also never had a boyfriend so that is even harder for me to answer. I guess none of us can really answer it unless it has happened to any of us. I have seen this one lady on TV that lost both of her arms, but she was still able to drive, take care of her son, exercise and do everything really well because she was able to use her feet and legs just like her arms and hands... However, that is just one rare case.... I don't think everyone would be able to do that...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

If I lost both my arms, I can still give hugs with my legs. Who's up for a group hug?

no thanks. i can imagine you sitting there with your legs wide open waiting for a hug... and tucan sam makes an appearance...
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

no thanks. i can imagine you sitting there with your legs wide open waiting for a hug... and tucan sam makes an appearance...
    haha yup and I will be feeding on some beans, just so you know if I "accidentally" let a big one go.

with today's prostetic arms, loosing both arms doesn't = can't do anything, in fact, the replacement arms are atleast 50% as good as the regular ones, they can do all task, just slower (and some task much slower).

I do know I will stay around until she is at least recovered from the injury – in other words, other than having no arms, she is otherwise “ok.” After that, no idea.
    Agree.
    There are lot of things in life that you don't know what to do until they are actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I honestly don't know if I would... I also never had a boyfriend so that is even harder for me to answer. I guess none of us can really answer it unless it has happened to any of us.
    Wow, at least we have 2 things in common. You never had a BF and I never had a GF and we both in our 30s. That is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Wow, at least we have 2 things in common. You never had a BF and I never had a GF and we both in our 30s. That is rare.
    Wow, this is one of the rare occasions where I read TC using the ROFL emoticon. He must be really HAPPY!

TC, why don't you cut out the chase and speak your mind? Just say it "Oh Trinie, will you marry me? "
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 09-29-09 at 11:20 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    I honestly don't know if I would... I also never had a boyfriend so that is even harder for me to answer. I guess none of us can really answer it unless it has happened to any of us.

And love...

Is exciting and new.

Come aboard.

We're expecting you....

It's one of those things where though it would be an incredible b*tch to go through, one would be almost ethically compelled to go through with it.

It's one more kind of social contract - one that's between only two people rather than among a multitude, and perhaps contracts are meant to be broken, but depending on what kind of person one is, it could be hard to live down if one walks away from it.