Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fascination with performance; indifference to celebrity.

Default Fascination with performance; indifference to celebrity.

I feel weird about this, but the *really* weird thing is that I believe that I *shouldn't* be feeling weird about it.

My interest in a performer ends with the performance. For example, if I'm interested in an actor/actress, I'm only interested in his/her performance on the screen or on the stage. I'm interested in his/her ability and skill to convey a certain character in a film, television program, or (more rarely) a stage play. After his/her performance ends, however, I have no further interest in his/her activities. Similarly, for musicians, I am interested in their musicianship: how they write a piece of music, how they perform it on stage, and how they record it for public distribution. But that's as far as my interest goes. Their personal lives generally bore me.

But in this celebrity-obsessed culture, it seems that the media focuses more on the celebrity than the performance. In fact, for many celebrities, their fame *is* the "performance": they have no real thespian or musical ability per se, only an uncanny ability to attract the cameras and the gossip-mongers by...living their sometimes bizarre lives.

And the weird part is that I *feel* weird for caring only about the performance and not being interested in the celebrity.

lol, i agree with you in a way.

im interested in their performance, but i also follow them off their work since i see them as fashion icons too but, that's as far as it get. i don't care if which celeb is dating who or who is preggo or blah blah blah.

what i don't really get is the hype with Twitter. but that's just giving people the more reason to get obsessed and stalk their favorite celebs. i really dont give a shit if my fav actor/singer is eating a sandwich or reading a book.. so amazing
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I feel weird about this, but the *really* weird thing is that I believe that I *shouldn't* be feeling weird about it.

My interest in a performer ends with the performance.....ect.
    That's good. Not getting too obsessed with a celebrity is a healthy stance.... but I can't understand....if you can get this straight, why can't you do the same for Wuxia characters, and discard the need of taking yourself as a comparism with a fictional character - i.e someone who doesn't exist at all?!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 10-05-09 at 04:27 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    That's good. Not getting too obsessed with a celebrity is a healthy stance.... but I can't understand....if you can get this straight, why can't you do the same for Wuxia characters, and discard the need of taking yourself as a comparism with a fictional character - i.e someone who doesn't exist at all.
    Because these are not the same things. They are not even comparable.

I no longer attempt to explain this to anyone, because no explanation will ever suffice. The only way to understand it is to be me.

And, well, only I can be me.

That's how it should be imo. The rest of society just have too much time to invest in news that shouldn't stick their nose into.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Generally, I respect an artists work if it's the first thing about them I know. But if I knew something else about them first, that would colour my perspective of them, whether I like it or not.

Like if you told me the song I'm about to hear is sung by a racist who beats on asian women. Chances are I probably won't like the song and I can't help it because the fact sticks in my mind. It's irrational, but it's how I am.

I don't think that's weird.

I'm the same way - I usually am only interested in an actor/actress/band/artist/musician for their talents. I couldn't care less about their personal lives, other than what I occasionally read in the newspaper.

The only band that I actually care about more than musically is Dir en grey, mostly because they have been an influence in my life for so long that it's almost impossible for me not to care about their personal lives outside their music.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

It’s much better than the other way around, obsessing about celebs outside of their professional work.
    To me, entertainers are there to entertain. Their personal lives shouldn’t matter, unless they abuse their fame.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

I don't go out of my way to see actors; there are some I avoid.

I follow directors more.

There's nothing wrong or weird about caring for only the performance of an actor/musician.

Nothing special or unusual about it.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    That's good. Not getting too obsessed with a celebrity is a healthy stance.... but I can't understand....if you can get this straight, why can't you do the same for Wuxia characters, and discard the need of taking yourself as a comparism with a fictional character - i.e someone who doesn't exist at all?!
    Totally agree!!! If he can get that straight, then why go on and on about a fictional wu xia character that does not exist at all??

I think it would depend on how big of a fan you are of a celebrity. I believe that if you look up to any of them as a role model, then the kind of person(from what you know in the public eye anyways) that they are should matter to you. However, if you are just interested in their work, then you would just focus on their talent and works. I personally find it hard to be a big fan of celebrity who clearly appears to be a bad person even if they are talented.

I don't think it is healthy to be too obsessed about any one celebrity(which is why I can't stand those one idol worshippers, gosh are they scary). We can all see from that one crazy Andy Lau fan... Geez....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

A celebrity can disappoint you, a fictional character whose entire story has already been told cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Totally agree!!! If he can get that straight, then why go on and on about a fictional wu xia character that does not exist at all??
    I already told you not to worry about it. You're only going to hurt your head trying to get into mine.

I already told you not to worry about it. You're only going to hurt your head trying to get into mine.
    I am not worried about it... I just didn't understand at first, but oh well.... I guess only you know about it anyways.... Lets end it there...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I am not worried about it... I just didn't understand at first,
    You likely still don't understand it and never will, but that's all right. It really doesn't matter to anyone if you understand it or not.

I think the great thing about the past couple years in Hollywood is that being a big name star doesn't automatically sell movies anymore. Tom Cruise started that, I think, the shine is off. He hasn't had a bona fide hit in a few years.

You likely still don't understand it and never will, but that's all right. It really doesn't matter to anyone if you understand it or not.
    True and it's not like I need to...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    I think the great thing about the past couple years in Hollywood is that being a big name star doesn't automatically sell movies anymore. Tom Cruise started that, I think, the shine is off. He hasn't had a bona fide hit in a few years.
    The flip side of this is that the names the media have been attached to during the past few years aren't even accomplished performers at forms of popular art traditionally considered to be performance. Take a look at the names currently dominating the attention of the entertainment media: note how a number of them aren't really accomplished actors, singers, songwriters, dancers, directors, playwrights...or really have ANYTHING remotely to do with the performing arts. Just what *are* the artistic talents of the Gosselins or the Kardashians? Are they exceptional singers, musicians, actors, directors, songwriters? Do they actually *perform* anything or demonstrate any particular talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Well, that is the sad but typical thing that happens in the circle and in life as well. You are big and famous one moment, but the next moment... You can be a nobody. Life has its ups and downs... The higher you climb, the more it hurts when you actually fall....

True and it's not like I need to...
    Right...so why bother saying anything about it at all?

I don't want to needlessly prolong this, so I'll offer you a final thought: it's impolite to talk about somebody as if he isn't there when he actually is. It isn't polite in traditional social gatherings, and it doesn't become any more polite on the Internet.