Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full potential of Bei Ming Shen Gong?

Default Full potential of Bei Ming Shen Gong?

In DGSD, Duan Yu learnt the beginning part of BMSG, the foundations of the art, comprising the most important meridians. But then decided against learning the rest of BMSG. It was said that and I quote from the DGSD translation thread;
    The scroll also had ways to cultivate the many other channels and meridians; all of them were for absorbing the internal energy of others.
    Duan Yu, with just the basics of BMSG, was able to accumulate vast quantities of internal energy. Mostly via fortuitously gaining contact with his thumb to someone else' pressure point. But he also absorbed the qi contained in an opponent's strike to the pressure point on his chest.

The question is, what are the full effects of BMSG, had Duan Yu practiced BMSG in its entirety?

Does it make him virtually untouchable (except weapon strikes) and any attacks utilising inner energy rendered not only harmless but beneficial to Duan Yu?
    Last edited by Xiao Feng; 10-21-09 at 05:35 AM.

Logically, if he cultivated the other channels and meridians he should be able to absorb from anywhere on his body. He wouldn't be untouchable - he should still be vulnerable to weapons. I guess he would still be susceptible to LDA. His forte would be hand-to-hand combat.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Logically, if he cultivated the other channels and meridians he should be able to absorb from anywhere on his body. He wouldn't be untouchable - he should still be vulnerable to weapons. I guess he would still be susceptible to LDA. His forte would be hand-to-hand combat.
    Ah yes, weapons. Maybe I should edit the word "untouchable" to something else.

Regarding LDAs, if he could absorb the qi from a point blank strike, I'm sure he could absorb them from LDAs as well. Perhaps it only works up to a certain extent, depending on how powerful the strike is.

Also, when his uncle DZM and the other monks at Tian Long temple tried to help him with Yi Yang Zhi when he was in pain due to the mass quantities of energy circulating in his body wildly, it was said it was as if the energy the channel vanished. It was absorbed straight into Duan Yu's pool of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng View Post
    Regarding LDAs, if he could absorb the qi from a point blank strike, I'm sure he could absorb them from LDAs as well. Perhaps it only works up to a certain extent, depending on how powerful the strike is.
    I think it depends on the "connectedness". If the LDA is a continuous stream then it sounds like he can absorb. But if the LDA is a "fire and forget" skill like XL18Z then I don't think he can.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I think it depends on the "connectedness". If the LDA is a continuous stream then it sounds like he can absorb. But if the LDA is a "fire and forget" skill like XL18Z then I don't think he can.
    The first time Duan Yu absorbed someone's energy was via a Mt Wu Liang disciple who struck his chest (can't remember if it was a palm or a fist) with enough energy to have injured Duan Yu, who at the time have no internal energy whatsoever. But what happened was that the energy put into the strike was completely absorbed by Duan Yu. To the Mt Wu Liang disciple, it was as if all the power he put into the strike had vanished. Had he channeled more energy, it would also be absorbed.

Therefore, I believe that whether it is a continuous stream of energy or a single burst of energy, it can be absorbed.

But it was a physically connected strike right, not a LDA?

I think his point is, that the kinetic energy of the strike was absorbed, just like the impact of a LDA should be absorbed all the same.

Yeah, but the energy burst would have been similar to a palm/fist based LDA I believe.

Also, iirc the Mt Wu Liang disciple struck him and then retracted almost immediately afterwards because he was afraid he had injured Duan Yu.

Therefore, it wasn't like he got sucked by Duan Yu and his pressure point met Duan Yu's pressure point. More like the energy he put into the strike, which in normal circumstances would have cause physical and internal damage, was totally absorbed into Duan Yu's pressure point.

A LDA would have the same effect upon hitting an opponent as actually hiting him, except you are channeling your energy through the air.

If you want to consider the absorbtion of LDA energy, think of this scenario.

XF can fire full power Dragon Palms for over 1 hour before he gets tired.

After doing so, he doesnt lose any of his inner power. He just needs to rest.

So if XF fires 1 hour of Dragon Palms every day at a BMSG practitioner, and the practitioner absorbs it. That is kinda HexXor right? Since something is gained while nothing is lost. If DY can gain energy from ONE strike from a scrub. Think of how much he can absorb from 1 hour of XF Dragon Palms.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

But if the energy XF exerted does not deplete his permanent energy store. Then is there a chance that the energy DY absorbs does not add to his permanent energy store?

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    If you want to consider the absorbtion of LDA energy, think of this scenario.

XF can fire full power Dragon Palms for over 1 hour before he gets tired.

After doing so, he doesnt lose any of his inner power. He just needs to rest.

So if XF fires 1 hour of Dragon Palms every day at a BMSG practitioner, and the practitioner absorbs it. That is kinda HexXor right? Since something is gained while nothing is lost. If DY can gain energy from ONE strike from a scrub. Think of how much he can absorb from 1 hour of XF Dragon Palms.
    Haha, I like how you think!

That's like finding a loophole in a computer game that allows you to gain stats for free!

But, I believe most of Duan Yu's victims did not suffer from permanent energy loss. 3 of the 4 evils certainly were fine later on in the story after approx half of their inner energy was absorbed. Some extended rest and meditation would probably take care of it. Perhaps, it's just like expending their inner energy normally. Once you used up a good amount, you need some rest to top it back up.

Was it stated that BMSG caused ill effects towards its victims?
    Last edited by Xiao Feng; 10-22-09 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    But if the energy XF exerted does not deplete his permanent energy store. Then is there a chance that the energy DY absorbs does not add to his permanent energy store?
    It has been stated that it does indeed add into his pool of energy, permanently.

I mean the dragon palms, since it doesn't deplete off XF's permanent energy, it might react different when absorbed.

Duan Yu's BMSG vacuumed up all inner energy, regardless of source. And all ends up in his pool of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng View Post
    It has been stated that it does indeed add into his pool of energy, permanently.
    Actually, I'm not sure it does. It's been postulated (by me and CC, at least) that Beiming Shengong actually absorbs the opponent's generator of internal energy, rather than expended internal energy itself, and that's why the loss from the absorbee is permanent and they can't regain it by resting.

Here's that discussion.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Strange, wasn't Linghu Chong able to absorb internal energy through sword contact with Chong Xu? In that sense, Xixing Dafa seems more impressive than Bei Ming which is rather odd.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Strange, wasn't Linghu Chong able to absorb internal energy through sword contact with Chong Xu? In that sense, Xixing Dafa seems more impressive than Bei Ming which is rather odd.
    It seems that Xixing Dafa can absorb and store others' internal energy, but the energy remain distinct from each other and clash... creating pain and eventual fire deviation. More energy absorbed means more pain and greater danger of fire deviation.

Bei Ming Shen Gong (Northern Darkness MA) seems to absorb the energy and internalize it as the proponent's personal energy... no side effect of pain from clashes of distinctly different energy "clumps". In effect... Bei Ming Shen Gong's capacity for energy absorption seems limitless.

I haven't read SPW in a while... so please correct any mistaken assumptions I may have made.

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    What I'm suggesting is that every time one of these absorption arts absorbs from an opponent, it's permanently taking the energy out of the opponent, which the opponent cannot regain as he can for energy expended in a fight.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Actually, I'm not sure it does. It's been postulated (by me and CC, at least) that Beiming Shengong actually absorbs the opponent's generator of internal energy, rather than expended internal energy itself, and that's why the loss from the absorbee is permanent and they can't regain it by resting.

Here's that discussion.
    Reading that discussion, my understanding of inner energy is more like Snafu's.

Meaning when you meditate/cultivate qi, you increase your potential for storing qi as well as building up your qi reserves.

Take the analogy of weight training. You go to the gym, you lift weights, you build bigger muscles (potential/storage), and more strength (energy/reserves). Later on, when you use up energy through physical exertion, it isn't like your muscles will shrink and deteriorate. You simply use up your energy reserves. Given enough rest, food and water and you'll recover.

Reading Snafu's post on the difference between Zhen Qi and cultivated Qi also gave me a certain understanding. Perhaps, skills like BMSG and XXDF will only affect/destroy someone's internal energy base (the storage/potential) if they are severely depleted of their inner energy.

Taking the weigh lifting/physical analogy again, akin to physical burn out/exhaustion from working too hard for too long. To continue would lead to possible death.

To add to Xiao Feng's post...

It seems to me that both BMSG & Xixing esssentially takes the opponents' muscle mass & skeletal strength and makes it one's own, without going through the muscle mass building regimen.

BMSG somehow distributes the "muscle mass" evenly & correctly... so the end result is a Mr. Universe with full control and flexibility... and the attendant skeletal structure to support that muscle mass.

Xixing seems like it just grafts on the muscle mass without the attendant skeletal support. More muscle mass is more strength and power... until the muscle mass expands to the point of crushing and snapping the bones of the person's inadequate skeletal structure.

BTW, is Snafu an actual ID? The only SNAFU I know is "Situation Normal All F*cked Up".
    Last edited by Ahoxan; 10-22-09 at 10:39 PM.