Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demon Souls

Default Demon Souls

Anyone playing this game?

Pretty fun, but I am really bad at it. Couldn't even get past the first stage.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I'm thinking of returning Batman Arkham Asylum for this game.

Got the game and loving it. I usually hate hard games, if I want to work, I'll go to my job. But I knew the job was dangerous when I took it. I think playing Oblivion and Freedom Hunter Unite has helped my gaming skills for this game.

I figured I will just keep fighting the first level of the castle area... right up until the first fog. Until I accumulate enough souls... A friggin long and tedious process, but at least it will assure of my long-term survival. >_>

Yeah... I beat the game twice New Game + is even harder than the first playthrough

It's by far my favorite game on the PS3. It's the only game i played that makes you feel tense. and i love the fact that it has *epic* boss fights! Great fun and challenge. If anybody needs any tips, I'll be happy to help out I suggest checking out the Demon's Souls wiki. It gives you a great detailed explanation on all the weapons, magic and items in the game and which Demon's Souls (the souls you collect from the bosses) gives you what items.

Some tips for melee characters:

1) Get the cling ring from the first stage. It's the most important ring when you are in soul form.

2) I recommend getting your equip burden less than 50% of your total burden in order to do dodging and rolling properly. Dodging/rolling is one of the most important skills to learn in Demon's Souls. They really help during boss battles.

3) Remember to trade in the Demon Soul from Tower Knight (the second boss of world-1) for the warding magic skill. This spell is the single most useful spell in the entire game. It really helps you against those bosses. I can't stress enough how important this spell is.

4) Mastering the art of casting magic, switching between one and two-handing weapons and consuming health rations without hestitation or delay. Since there is no pause button in this game (damn them!), you have to do things really really fast or you'll get killed. In other words, you have to be "clutch" during those intense boss battles.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 12-14-09 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Yeah... I beat the game twice New Game + is even harder than the first playthrough

It's by far my favorite game on the PS3. It's the only game i played that makes you feel tense. and i love the fact that it has *epic* boss fights! Great fun and challenge. If anybody needs any tips, I'll be happy to help out I suggest checking out the Demon's Souls wiki. It gives you a great detailed explanation on all the weapons, magic and items in the game and which Demon's Souls (the souls you collect from the bosses) gives you what items.

Some tips for melee characters:

1) Get the cling ring from the first stage. It's the most important ring when you are in soul form.

2) I recommend getting your equip burden less than 50% of your total burden in order to do dodging and rolling properly. Dodging/rolling is one of the most important skills to learn in Demon's Souls. They really help during boss battles.

3) Remember to trade in the Demon Soul from Tower Knight (the second boss of world-1) for the warding magic skill. This spell is the single most useful spell in the entire game. It really helps you against those bosses. I can't stress enough how important this spell is.

4) Mastering the art of casting magic, switching between one and two-handing weapons and consuming health rations without hestitation or delay. Since there is no pause button in this game (damn them!), you have to do things really really fast or you'll get killed. In other words, you have to be "clutch" during those intense boss battles.
    I'm just no good at it.

So expensive but too difficult for me to play. Me has switched allegiance to Soul Calibur IV now. Hoping to get rid of Demon's Souls whenever the opportunity comes. Maybe should put it on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I'm just no good at it.

So expensive but too difficult for me to play. Me has switched allegiance to Soul Calibur IV now. Hoping to get rid of Demon's Souls whenever the opportunity comes. Maybe should put it on ebay.
    Before you trade it in, let me help u out... where are u stuck??? Trust me, with practice, you WILL get good at it. If you can handle inward chaos Dissidia you can handle Demon's Souls. U just have to devote the time to master it. Trust me, the game is very rewarding and well worth it.

Before you trade it in, let me help u out... where are u stuck??? Trust me, with practice, you WILL get good at it. If you can handle inward chaos Dissidia you can handle Demon's Souls. U just have to devote the time to master it. Trust me, the game is very rewarding and well worth it.
    It's different from Dissidia, which is actually much easier. I'm still stuck at the palace part. I died miserably at the catapults part once and I got a phobia of going through the fire tossing tower again. Cos you know, when you die you don't start at the spot where you died, you start all over again. How sick is that. >_>

Using potions has a time-delay too, meaning you are sooooooo susceptible to dying while trying to heal yourself. ARGH.

It's different from Dissidia, which is actually much easier. I'm still stuck at the palace part. I died miserably at the catapults part once and I got a phobia of going through the fire tossing tower again. Cos you know, when you die you don't start at the spot where you died, you start all over again. How sick is that. >_>

Using potions has a time-delay too, meaning you are sooooooo susceptible to dying while trying to heal yourself. ARGH.
    Yeah there is a delay for the potions, magic and faith. It's designed that way so you have to think when is the safest time to do so. the scariest part is when ur health is low against an enemy and u have to heal but the healing animation takes a while.. so u actually have to take into account your enemy location whether or not he'll kill u while u heal. if he will attack u while ur at low health, don't attempt to heal, just gauge his location, dodge his attacks, keep rolling away, and when its safe, then you can heal finally.

don't worry too much about the dying and restarting thing. as u go further in the level, u'll unlock short-cuts so the next time you die u can just go through the short-cut. while u go deeper and deeper in the game, u'll find that this is less of an issue because your skills would have improved greatly by then.

Also, once you past the first stage, all the worlds are open up for you. You can go to the forth world and level up there. That is by far the best place to level up because you can fight the 5 or 6 enemies and then go back to the nexus right away. all the enemies are situated near the entrance so there is less danger of losing your souls because of death. once you beat the first stage the game will definitely open up for u.

Yeah there is a delay for the potions, magic and faith. It's designed that way so you have to think when is the safest time to do so. the scariest part is when ur health is low against an enemy and u have to heal but the healing animation takes a while.. so u actually have to take into account your enemy location whether or not he'll kill u while u heal. if he will attack u while ur at low health, don't attempt to heal, just gauge his location, dodge his attacks, keep rolling away, and when its safe, then you can heal finally.

don't worry too much about the dying and restarting thing. as u go further in the level, u'll unlock short-cuts so the next time you die u can just go through the short-cut. while u go deeper and deeper in the game, u'll find that this is less of an issue because your skills would have improved greatly by then.

Also, once you past the first stage, all the worlds are open up for you. You can go to the forth world and level up there. That is by far the best place to level up because you can fight the 5 or 6 enemies and then go back to the nexus right away. all the enemies are situated near the entrance so there is less danger of losing your souls because of death. once you beat the first stage the game will definitely open up for u.
    I thought you can only level up by beating the bosses, not the minions.

I thought you can only level up by beating the bosses, not the minions.
    you level up with all the souls you collect. But u have to beat the first boss to open up the levelling up process. after that, beating normal minions gives u souls that u can use for levelling up or for currency to buy spells/rations/other stuff. So don't worry about losing souls in the first stage. just get to the first boss and beat his a$$ after that the whole game opens up and you can start levelling up.

I love this game. It takes all the randomness and huge (sometimes unnecessarily) RPG worlds and concentrates on just the core and creates something deliberate and focused.

Stick with it Guo Xiang, there's a real sense of achievement when you pass that first level and things open up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    I love this game. It takes all the randomness and huge (sometimes unnecessarily) RPG worlds and concentrates on just the core and creates something deliberate and focused.
    Yeah this game is brilliant. The fighting mechanics and gameplay is very deep and i love the dark atmosphere and awesome boss designs. It's also the most rewarding game this generation because other games feel less intense compared to Demon's Souls.

Ok will try it again.

Ok will try it again.
    time to kick some demon a$$

time to kick some demon a$$
    Any tips on beating Phalanx?

Apparently guides say you have to get rid of those minions around him first... but I think I would be too distracted by that huge club (or is it the arm) of the boss. One swing and the character would be dead?

Any tips on beating Phalanx?

Apparently guides say you have to get rid of those minions around him first... but I think I would be too distracted by that huge club (or is it the arm) of the boss. One swing and the character would be dead?
    well the good thing about the first boss is that he is so close to the entrance so u get to fight him almost immediately. the only tricky part in the fight is taking out those minions in the beginning. but once u take enough of them out it should be smooth sailing from there since u'll be able to attack the boss' undefended body very easily. just watch out for those spears and roll/dodge away when ur taking out his minions. the battle becomes much more easier when u taken out enough of those minions so that should be your first priority.

Attack the minions from behind, it will do much more damage.

yeah never attack them on the shield side. does negligable damage. once u beat the Phalanx, the forth world (the outdoor stage by the cliff side) is the best place to level up in the beginning. u'll face off against rolling demons. just block and strafe their rolling attacks and soon as they are finished their attacks, unleash your combos. rinse and repeat. u'll get TONs of souls for beating them.