Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What's Everybody's Religion?

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Culturally different. In Southeast Asia and Sri Lanka is where you'll find the Theravada Buddhist. While in China, Taiwan, and Japan you'll find the Mahayana Buddhist. The Bodhisattva/gods like Guan Yin, Ne zha, or Jade Emperor don't exist in the Mahayana hierarchy of deities and we really only recognize Gautama. The Theravada school is heavily influenced by Pre-Indian or Brahman practices vs Mahayana is more heavily influenced by Confucianism and Taoism...it's like they developed into really different schools and with different expressions of the teachings of the same teacher, Buddha.
    I thought Mahayana is the branch that put more importance on Bodhisattva while Theravada is the one who is more on self-development? I always thought Theravada was the more streamline one while Mahayana added a lot of extra things.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I thought Mahayana is the branch that put more importance on Bodhisattva while Theravada is the one who is more on self-development? I always thought Theravada was the more streamline one while Mahayana added a lot of extra things.
    oh EDIT: When I wrote, "The Bodhisattva/gods like Guan Yin, Ne zha, or Jade Emperor don't exist in the Mahayana hierarchy of deities and we really only recognize Gautama."

That's supposed to be Theravada, and you are correct and much more succinct than I am haha.
    -------

These days I'm not sure if I am so religious anymore...probably more spiritual than religious.
    I like me.

My parents' (mainly mother) religion is Buddhist, so by default, I'm also a Buddhist. But I am not religious, and I don't like going to the temples on a regular basis because I think that if one believes in something then he or she can practice it anywhere.