Thread: How important are personal values of a person?

Lightbulb How important are personal values of a person?

They don't fill our stomachs, but just how important are personal values of a person?

I firmly believe everyone has different set of values, and it is from there, it determines whether a person can be successful or not.
    ..ext88

Well, I try to match my values against the teachings of Jesus Christ, though I may fall short of mark many times, I value these above other things. I suppose one can be poor, but one cannot lose one's integrity. Life become meaningless when it is ruled by the ways of the world. I don't particularly expect everyone else to hold firm to this, but at least I try my best not to sway too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    Well, I try to match my values against the teachings of Jesus Christ, though I may fall short of mark many times, I value these above other things. I suppose one can be poor, but one cannot lose one's integrity. Life become meaningless when it is ruled by the ways of the world. I don't particularly expect everyone else to hold firm to this, but at least I try my best not to sway too far away.
    It's great to hear that. I completely agree with you in that one cannot lose one's integrity. It's the basis of life isn't it?
    ..ext88

I'm more interested in a person's character, their values gives a little glimpse into the person they are but I don't care too much for the specific values they hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I'm more interested in a person's character, their values gives a little glimpse into the person they are but I don't care too much for the specific values they hold.
    I believe values are a innate thing, while character can be seen from the outside. Sometimes they could be linked with each other.

For example - a person who is carefree and easygoing can be a fun person to be with, but if he has zero integrity or honesty, then how?
    ..ext88

I don't believe values are that innate, they're taught and modeled just like almost anything else.

I don't care if a guy is dishonest so long as he is honest with himself. Sure he'd make a shit friend. But I'm not looking at it from a friend perspective, I want to see who he is.

Ned Kelly was a bushranger, stealing from people, not a good thing to do. But he fought and he got caught. His last words before being hanged? Such is life. I respect that kind of thing.

To me, values are just things you can believe in. Anyone can believe in something, character shows through your actions. That's just how I see the two words character and values, we're probably getting at something similar though.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    They don't fill our stomachs, but just how important are personal values of a person?

I firmly believe everyone has different set of values, and it is from there, it determines whether a person can be successful or not.
    Good personal values may not create wealth but they will make your life easier. Average Joe and Jane with good personal value can live a decent/good/healthy life much better than multi-millionaire with poor personal values. We often see celebrities with millions and they live a completely crappy life, a life full of addictions. Michael Jackson is a good example.

As for myself, I live my life conservatively. Always live below the mean and always think about the consequences before I take any action.

many psychopaths have a 'fun personality' ~ which lure them their victims. the character of the person is usually shaped by his fundamental beliefs. for myself, i believe in the value of words. words shouldnt be cheap, God created the world by 'saying it', thats why i do not say things i dont mean, though i knew many people will say stuff like "white lies are ok" cos it doesnt hurt.

they arent. if you couldnt be truthful, just shut-up. nobody say you should lie. but if you always caught yourself in a situation where 'being truthful is painful for others' then its time you look into your mindset ~ are you abit too negative to view everything as bad hence you cannot say it without offending someone?

Lucre:

What if a lie can safe a life? Will you tell it? Assume that the person asking you believes in you absolutely because you are honest. What will you do?

Next, lower the seriousness of the immediate consequences of the lie. This time, if you tell the truth or maintain silence, a loving couple will break up because of, say, a one night stand. What will you do?

If your answer is different for both, where do you draw the line?

Personal values are important, but if someone holds on to it like a lifeline and refuse to sway, they are risk to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post

They play an important role in deciding whether a person makes or breaks his/her life. What's there to debate about it.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Athlee:

As far as I'm concern, frivolous lies are to be avoided. But in the situation as you described, Love should overcome the deed, because Jesus Christ taught us love.

In the first scenario, for example. Say theres a holocaust going on and you're hiding a jew in your house. When the authorities came, and asked if I'm hiding a Jew. I said no. That will save his life. Sure, I made a lie, but it was not a lie because of convinience, and it was a life of another person that I have no right to harm. Rules are established to guide us, and not rule us. After all, Christ taught us to accept all the ten commandments, but above all, he taught love.

About the one night stand, , firstly, do I know for certainty it is a one night stand and the partner has been unfaithful? Spreading stuff about others equates to gossip.

However if say I have a friend whose spouse cheated on him or her and I knew it for a fact, and my friend asked me if that's true. I will affirm it. In the first place, if the cheating spouse is doing it regularly, he or she might endanger the health of my friend. Surely the love for my friend should at least warn him/her about it. As for breaking up the relationship - I didn't, the cheating spouse did it.

Where do I draw the line? I asked my conscience. Most white lies are made with the intend not to 'hurt' the other party. But even more are made so that the one saying it wouldnt be hated.

The problem I have is, if I keep up with 'its ok to lie' than I will form a habit which I must not have because it's dangerous more often than not.

In the event that I really have ZERO idea what to do, I pray and asked for the Lord's guidance. He will give it. So you might say my compass in life is Jesus Christ. I don't how to "telling only the truth" as lifeline, but I hold on to "love" and "jesus christ" as lifeline, because of that, my answer can be case-by-case; in fact, if you read the gospels, you will also notice that Jesus challenged alot of the rules. Does it mean he's a rebel and thinks rules are bad? Not really, he just illustrate the posibilities where one could 'bend' the rules. The lifeline here isn't the set of rules we must absolutely hold, but the one rule which is "love". Having love for God, and for ourselves, and everyone else around us.

Lucre:

What if a lie can safe a life? Will you tell it? Assume that the person asking you believes in you absolutely because you are honest. What will you do?

Next, lower the seriousness of the immediate consequences of the lie. This time, if you tell the truth or maintain silence, a loving couple will break up because of, say, a one night stand. What will you do?

If your answer is different for both, where do you draw the line?

Personal values are important, but if someone holds on to it like a lifeline and refuse to sway, they are risk to all.

Lucre: Ah, you can bend, just checking

On the cheating spouse thing, personally, I would just say out straight to leave me out of it. You choose that person, you have to decide on your own whether you want to trust him. Don't drag me into the picture.

On other white lies, you mean you don't tell your mum/aunt/mother-in-law the food is good even when it is just normal fare?
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Lucre: Ah, you can bend, just checking

On the cheating spouse thing, personally, I would just say out straight to leave me out of it. You choose that person, you have to decide on your own whether you want to trust him. Don't drag me into the picture.

On other white lies, you mean you don't tell your mum/aunt/mother-in-law the food is good even when it is just normal fare?
    my mom's food is always good. because she cook it with love. i cant sincerely think how can it be bad. so i dont have to lie.

i grew up with packed lunch everyday. since school days till now, i dont dine out.

Yes, personal views are important. A person who is always compromising is an untrustworthy person.

I have a strong innate sense of right and wrong. I don’t defer any religious beliefs nor do I believe what’s “legal” is necessarily “right.”
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner