Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever came across a decision that could potentially change your life forever?

Lightbulb Ever came across a decision that could potentially change your life forever?

Ever came across a decision that could potentially change your life forever?

For me, yes. But, I am still awaiting the outcome.
    ..ext88

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

Not yet, but then again, I wouldn't say there's any decision that I would think could change my life forever, unless it's of extreme importance, and I can't think of anything. Unless you count in the sort of decisions that you make such as subject combinations in school, choosing the correct partner for marriage. Oh well.
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

Yup. And it would have changed my "life" forever. Good thing I decided against it.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

all the time, technically, any choice one has to make will always have the potential of changing the course of life forever.

I am struggling through one right now... I need to decide really soon or else I will regret it for the rest of my life. It also does not help that I am wishy washy like Zhang Wu Ji too...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I am in such a situation right now. I need to decide if the drastically different career, which would also drastically alter my lifestyle, is really what I want.

Although I'd like to jump to it ASAP as I feel it is my passion, I'm taking it one step at a time and not making any major moves until I'm sure it is the right move.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Mine should happen on Sept this year, if everything goes smoothly as planned. I'm going to, perhaps, struggle through one jobless year. If there are changes to the scheme, then this plan may not happen. Wait and see.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

i always get a feeling that whatever decision i need to make, its not important enough because the sun still crawls up into the sky from the east, regardless of what i'd decided to do.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Mine should happen on Sept this year, if everything goes smoothly as planned. I'm going to, perhaps, struggle through one jobless year. If there are changes to the scheme, then this plan may not happen. Wait and see.
    Sounds something like I am going through Cedie. I have been jobless and have been struggling for over a year now so don't worry you are not alone. I know how you feel.. We should all never give up though...I am hoping for things to happen for me this year too. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Sounds something like I am going through Cedie. I have been jobless and have been struggling for over a year now so don't worry you are not alone. I know how you feel.. We should all never give up though...I am hoping for things to happen for me this year too. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
    The employment situation in your country must be very bad. I remember you said you have a Master's Degree, right?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Hi Trinie, thanks for the words which I truly appreciate. Don't be discouraged, and don't give up! I truly hope for you that there will be opening doors for you soon.

As for my situation, what will happened is, if I were to progress into the higher diploma program for animation (either one specialization in the following: concept art, character animation, special effects, and so forth), I am required do so in full time as the course demands high level of concentration. I won't have to worry about 90% if the fees because it is subsidized by our government. But such offer will end by this year, so if I missed it, I have to set aside $30k for that qualification. However, these all will only happen provided I passed their entrance test, aptitude test. So, we'll see.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Hi Trinie, thanks for the words which I truly appreciate. Don't be discouraged, and don't give up! I truly hope for you that there will be opening doors for you soon.

As for my situation, what will happened is, if I were to progress into the higher diploma program for animation (either one specialization in the following: concept art, character animation, special effects, and so forth), I am required do so in full time as the course demands high level of concentration. I won't have to worry about 90% if the fees because it is subsidized by our government. But such offer will end by this year, so if I missed it, I have to set aside $30k for that qualification. However, these all will only happen provided I passed their entrance test, aptitude test. So, we'll see.
    hey Cedie!
    You are welcome and we are all here to encourage and support each other right?? Thanks and I will not give up or else I will not even have a future or career.
    Thanks for sharing your situation with me. What have you decided to do?? Whatever you decide, I wish you the best and please remember to share the good news with us.I pray that you will pass the entrance test and will be successful. At the moment, my cousins are taking an entrance test to get into nursing school so I know how much pressure that is. I hope that you will do well and will pass with flying colors! GO CEDIE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    The employment situation in your country must be very bad. I remember you said you have a Master's Degree, right?
    Yea, I do have a master's degree and I am living in the US. But I am unemployed mainly because I lack experience so I have been struggling to go abroad. My family is wishy washy about it since they sort of support me but then are sort of against it too. Also, since my field is teaching English, a lot of the foreign countries are bias against me because I am Asian American. They think that only "white" looking people can speak English well which makes it even harder for me so I have been struggling with that for a long time. Some people in my family say that I am too small and young looking so they are also bias against me because of that as well(which I don't think is true and only ignorant people would say things like that). I just have to keep on trying and pressing my luck because I am going to be 31 this year and am SICK of staying with my family who looks down on me and doesn't give me freedom. Boy, being unemployed really sucks. Each time any of my relatives see me, the first question that they ask me is "Have you found a job yet or have you been searching for a job yet?" I just tell them that they will know when the time comes. However, I don't want any of them to know that I plan to go abroad or else they will say stupid things to discourage me and my mom/family from letting me go. THat is my only option right now but it is a lot harder for me than others since my family is sooo overprotective of me. I am still fighting though since it is my dream. My mom keeps on telling me "you can't be unemployed like this forever". I just tell her, well if you did not always stop and discourage me, would I still be unemployed?? Life is just so hard sometimes....

Couldn't you teach english in your home country? Even elementary school teacher will be good for a start to gain experience.

I can understand why they are overprotective. You are the only girl in the family.

Couldn't you teach english in your home country? Even elementary school teacher will be good for a start to gain experience.

I can understand why they are overprotective. You are the only girl in the family.
    No, because every job in the US requires at least a 2-3 years of related experience. Also, in order to teach elementary school, you need a credential which is what I don't have. I also don't want to teach little kids and I really don't want to stay in the US since it has always been my dream to go abroad.

But they have to let me go one day since I am getting older and need to be more independant. Luckily, most of my brothers are supportive of me, especially my 4th brother since he has been abroad before and it was one of the best and most unforgettable experiences in his life. Therefore, he does not want me to miss out either because he knows that I will regret it for the rest of my life.

No, because every job in the US requires at least a 2-3 years of related experience.
    How did fresh graduates get their first job in US then?

How did fresh graduates get their first job in US then?
    I honestly don't know.... Some people have connections or worked while they studied, but it depends on the field too. I have seen a lot of my cousins just work at any old job that had nothing to do with what they studied. I don't want to end up like that since I worked hard for my degrees and want to work in my field. I had way too many classes so did not have time to work or else it would have killed me. But at least I have the option of going abroad. THe hardest part for me is to convince my family, but they are wishy washy about it. However, they have to let me go eventually because I don't want to stay here and continue to be unemployed....I even went to a fortune teller(not sure if you believe in that) and he said that I have to go abroad or else I will not even have a decent career. I can see how true that is now.
    Last edited by Trinie; 03-01-10 at 11:09 PM.

I honestly don't know.... Some people have connections or worked while they studied, but it depends on the field too. I have seen a lot of my cousins just work at any old job that had nothing to do with what they studied. I don't want to end up like that since I worked hard for my degrees and want to work in my field. I had way too many classes so did not have time to work or else it would have killed me. But at least I have the option of going abroad. THe hardest part for me is to convince my family, but they are wishy washy about it. However, they have to let me go eventually because I don't want to stay here and continue to be unemployed....I even went to a fortune teller(not sure if you believe in that) and he said that I have to go abroad or else I will not even have a decent career. I can see how true that is now.
    Do you have any relative abroad? Maybe find a place where you have relative now residing in. Maybe your parents will be more willing to let you go knowing there's someone there you can go to if in need.

You're going to a different country, not to the moon. Seriously, I can imagine that you are in a tough situation. But at the same time, you're your own person and have autonomy over your own life. Plus you are at an age where you should be more than capable of making some of your own decisions, if not most of them. Stop letting your family get into the way of what you want to do. Tell them no (and maybe kindly to screw off) if they keep discouraging you.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I'm new here but these are just my two cents.

I will take a moment to be honest with yourself. What are your motivations to move abroad to work for a year or two or long-term? Is it to just escape your current situation or is it something that you want to do and it will further your career.

Most position probably require experience, but the critical question is will the two years experience abroad be counted as experience and how will it further your career as a teacher/educator? Or will the American education system rate the abroad experience as something inferior to teaching in an American school.

If so you could always look into position as volunteer educator or tuturs for the students at private insitutions or study centers. The economy is rough - volunteering show that you have heart and passion for your field and for the community.

Personally, I worked abroad as an intern during my studies, and it was one of the best experience of my life thus far. It opened doors to personal growth and a change of my world-view. And you're 31, relatively young, fit, no husband, and no children - if you don't do it now it will be harder when you have a husband or children in tow.

I will take a moment to think about where you want to go and what steps will take you there. I think when you have decided that - it will be a lot easier to convince your parents about your decision. But whatever decision you make, all the best to your future endeavors.