Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Mistakes at Work

Default Making Mistakes at Work

How do you deal with making mistakes at work?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    How do you deal with making mistakes at work?
    Brush it off. Honestly, as long as your boss doesn't blame you and you learn from your mistakes. Because the more you worry about your mistakes, the more you make them.

Quote Originally Posted by hasium View Post
    Brush it off. Honestly, as long as your boss doesn't blame you and you learn from your mistakes. Because the more you worry about your mistakes, the more you make them.
    It depends on the nature of the work, of course.

Video rental store clerk: no biggie.

Air traffic controller at major airport: very, very serious.

admit it. face the consequences. and don't make the same mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    admit it. face the consequences. and don't make the same mistake again.
    While painful, I agree that this is the best course of action. Admit the mistake, ask what you should've done differently and be paranoid about making that mistake again in the future. Lesson learned.

Nothing causes you to lose respect as much as screwing up, and then denying it -especially when it's painfully obvious to everyone.

Think of the solution not the problem. Move on.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

I make mistake all the times. But in my profession, it's called bugs and it's expected.

But the correct course of action is to man up to your mistake. Don't deny it because it'll just make you look worst.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

probably boils down to the consequences from the mistake you make.

i had made plenty of mistakes before, but most of them rectifiable. in my line of work (naval achitecturing) ~ if i make a mistake, for example, on the calculations of the ship's stability, and when the ship sailed, it sunk and killed everyone onboard..well, thats very very dangerous..if its other silly mistakes that doesnt cause grave issues..then its not so bad. just make sure not to make the same mistake again.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    in my line of work (naval achitecturing) ~ if i make a mistake, for example, on the calculations of the ship's stability, and when the ship sailed, it sunk and killed everyone onboard..well, thats very very dangerous..if its other silly mistakes that doesnt cause grave issues..then its not so bad. just make sure not to make the same mistake again.
    Oh noooooo~! Don't mess around, Sheepy!

I trust that you'll do a good job!

For some jobs, you just need to get used to the culture and the scope of work, and you'll reduce the chances of making mistakes along the way. You can always build up your system to handle the job.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-27-10 at 01:55 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I make many mistakes everyday -> so many I struggle to learn from all the mistakes.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Oh noooooo~! Don't mess around, Sheepy!

I trust that you'll do a good job!

For some jobs, you just need to get used to the culture and the scope of work, and you'll reduce the chances of making mistakes along the way. You can always build up your system to handle the job.
    the reality of the job. remember the nicoll highway incident? once it gave way they would really dig out the architect's name from the grave to curse and swear

its not different from ships ~ so critical stuff like this really cant afford to have mistakes. but we'd usually give a very large safety margin so the chances of it happening DUE TO MISTAKE IN DESIGN is pretty slim.

But I knew of a real-life scenario. A LNG vessel was sent to the yard for repairs, but the worker had forgotten to tightened one of the screws back after maintenance. Eventually, the moment the vessel set sail, an explosion occured ~ all because of ONE TINY SCREW that was forgotten to be tightened. It's a 'simple' mistake, but a dangerous one. Nine people died in that accident.
    o wilku mowa...♪

interestingly, i need to tell my team leader a mistake i make tomorrow. better admit it. and seek advice from her.

I fix the mistake.

I deal with it, and try not to repeat it.

BTW seeking opinion:

What would you think or do, if you made a mistake at work, the boss doesn't confront you at all but instead, vented it out on your supervisor? The mistake is yours alone and concerns no one else because it is your full responsibility. In fact, you knew nothing about the displeasure until a couple of months later.

I'm currently in an emotional turmoil over this, partly because my supervisor and I are friends.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    BTW seeking opinion:

What would you think or do, if you made a mistake at work, the boss doesn't confront you at all but instead, vented it out on your supervisor? The mistake is yours alone and concerns no one else because it is your full responsibility. In fact, you knew nothing about the displeasure until a couple of months later.

I'm currently in an emotional turmoil over this, partly because my supervisor and I are friends.
    Did your supervisor ever suggest to your boss that he/she should talk to you directly when he/she isn't happy with you on the job?

Have you asked why didn't the boss approach you directly on that?

Unless it is also your supervisor's job or responsibility to convey his/her (the boss) message.

Now, now, if the boss you're referring to is Ms E....... that ***** is flaming the (unwanted) heat between you two, I'n guessing.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-29-10 at 05:39 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I deal with it, and try not to repeat it.

BTW seeking opinion:

I would step up and explain to the boss it's my fault alone. It shows character.

Did your supervisor ever suggest to your boss that he/she should talk to you directly when he/she isn't happy with you on the job?

Have you asked why didn't the boss approach you directly on that?

Unless it is also your supervisor's job or responsibility to convey his/her (the boss) message.

Now, now, if the boss you're referring to is Ms E....... that ***** is flaming the (unwanted) heat between you two, I'n guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I would step up and explain to the boss it's my fault alone. It shows character.
    Ced, totally correct. When I made that post I was still upset and my mind clouded. But after sometime my mind cleared up and I realised what the byatch was trying to do. She was trying to destroy the friendship between me and my supervisor.

She purposely screamed at my supervisor and humiliated her, hoping she would come confronting me. But she didn't. My supervisor knew what she was up to and did not want to upset me so she kept quiet. Until the byatch mentioned it yesterday.

She mentioned this probably to torment me emotionally. It worked. But it was also this revelation that showed how mentally sick she is, and it gave her game of sowing discord away. Actually, if she hadn't mentioned this incident, I'm afraid I would really have fallen out with my supervisor because all the while she was using my supervisor to attack me "she says she thinks", making me feel betrayed and backstabbed.

I cried all day today. But not any more now that I realised the truth. I'm just really angry at that byatch now.

I'm totally convinced she's a psychopath. She fits at least the basic descriptions.

Ced, totally correct. When I made that post I was still upset and my mind clouded. But after sometime my mind cleared up and I realised what the byatch was trying to do. She was trying to destroy the friendship between me and my supervisor.

She purposely screamed at my supervisor and humiliated her, hoping she would come confronting me. But she didn't. My supervisor knew what she was up to and did not want to upset me so she kept quiet. Until the byatch mentioned it yesterday.

She mentioned this probably to torment me emotionally. It worked. But it was also this revelation that showed how mentally sick she is, and it gave her game of sowing discord away. Actually, if she hadn't mentioned this incident, I'm afraid I would really have fallen out with my supervisor because all the while she was using my supervisor to attack me "she says she thinks", making me feel betrayed and backstabbed.

I cried all day today. But not any more now that I realised the truth. I'm just really angry at that byatch now.

I'm totally convinced she's a psychopath. She fits at least the basic descriptions.
    unfortunately, there are plenty of unscrupulous people out to make our lives miserable. hang in there darling, truth does prevail. lucre has her fair share of meeting crazy people, though in a way she finds them pathetic...when you need to rely on 'underhand means', or sometimes even thrive in doing them thinking that you can 'get things totally under your control' with these methods, but in truth, being 'slaves to underhand means' is actually very bad for the 'soul' ~ once your 'soul' becomes corrupt, you're unlikely to 'achieve inner peace' (which really is very beneficial, better than a million dollars in the pocket even)

the thumb of rule, talk to her as if you think very little of her ~ don't let her intimidate you.
    o wilku mowa...♪

I reckoned that psychotic B would play such dirty tricks. Now as the truth has revealed, as I traced back the history, it makes me wonder if she is displeased because you tendered your resignation. Hence, she take every opportunity to magnifys even your smallest mistakes and blow it all out of proportion. That's what I think she's capable of doing, i.e making your remaining days in the office miserable at her best.

I suggust, why don't you stage a drama with your supervisor? If she thinks she had succeeded in her scheme, it's likely that the B will tune down.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-29-10 at 11:28 PM.

I reckoned that psychotic B would play such dirty tricks. Now as the truth has revealed, as I traced back the history, it makes me wonder if she is displeased because you tendered your resignation. Hence, she take every opportunity to magnifys even your smallest mistakes and blow it all out of proportion. That's what I think she's capable of doing, i.e making your remaining days in the office miserable at her best.

I suggust, why don't you stage a drama with your supervisor? If she thinks she had succeeded in her scheme, it's likely that the B will tune down.
    Correct again, Ced.

She's known to start dramas with employees who tendered, and enjoyed making them cry. I'm definitely not the first. There were several others, more than a dozen in her few years in the company. The best thing is she still always wants to look like this angel who really adores you and cares about you. That's disgusting.

Staff turnover is very high... and it's not because of the pay or work... It's because of her.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 01-29-10 at 11:49 PM.

Correct again, Ced.

She's known to start dramas with employees who tendered, and enjoyed making them cry. I'm definitely not the first. There were several others, more than a dozen in her few years in the company. The best thing is she still always wants to look like this angel who really adores you and cares about you. That's disgusting.

Staff turnover is very high... and it's not because of the pay or work... It's because of her.
    Utterly disgusting. She and her cheap moves. She reminds me of the fat short stout professor in HP: Order of the Phoenix.

Hangin' there, Darling. Take it as a challenge to train your emotion immune system against similar future schemers, she might just be an amateur for all you know. There are worst ones outthere.