Thread: Should the US sell arms to Taiwan?Do you think the deal should go ahead?

Default Should the US sell arms to Taiwan?Do you think the deal should go ahead?

Should the US sell arms to Taiwan?

China has reacted angrily to a US proposal to sell $6.4bn of arms to Taiwan. What is your reaction?

Beijing is threatening to suspend military exchanges with the US, review co-operation on major issues and impose sanctions.

The US defended the sale, saying it would "maintain security and stability in the Taiwan Strait", while Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou said it would let Taiwan "feel more confident and secure."

The BBC's Damian Grammaticas says China could "make life difficult for Washington" by withdrawing its co-operation over North Korea, currency and trade issues.

What do you think of the arms deal? What impact would it have on relations between the US, China and Taiwan? Are you in Taiwan or China? Do you think the deal should go ahead?

The Link
    http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20100202024211
    Shall US sell weapon to Taiwan to allow Taiwan to defend itself in case of attack from China ?

I think China is just making empty threats (to both Taiwan and the US). China will be wary of starting any wars, particularly with Taiwan, because it's politically and economically unhealthy.

Their missiles pointing towards Taiwan is like someone raising the hand to slap another person, but the hand never comes down to hit the face.

As for China and the US... the most will be that they will just make a few more trips to the WTO. No big deal.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The USG is legally mandated to sell weapons to Taiwan, under the Taiwan Relations Act. Not a matter of whether or not we 'should'; Congress legally mandates that we must.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100202...20100202141743

It's almost sad how China, an ancient culture, acts like a spoiled little child. Then again, while China is old, the PRC is only 60 years old.

As expected, the two have begun fighting.

China has levied heavy antidumping duties on US chickens and in return, the US is levying antidumping tariffs on Chinese gift boxes and other types of narrow woven ribbons.

What's next? More WTO trips!
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 02-10-10 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post

It's almost sad how China, an ancient culture, acts like a spoiled little child. Then again, while China is old, the PRC is only 60 years old.
    When has China/PRC not acted like a spoiled child?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

As expected, the two have begun fighting.

China has levied heavy antidumping duties on US chickens and in return, the US is levying antidumping tariffs on Chinese gift boxes and other types of narrow woven ribbons.
    like kids fighting in the playground.
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    The USG is legally mandated to sell weapons to Taiwan, under the Taiwan Relations Act. Not a matter of whether or not we 'should'; Congress legally mandates that we must.
    It's a good idea to continue doing so. Should the USA stop selling arms to Taiwan, then Taiwan's only recourse would be to restart its nuclear program.

I think the deal should go ahead as otherwise it would show the US is weak. On the other hand, I think China should retaliate it by selling weapons to countries like Sudan and wardlords who the US and the wests accuse them of committing war crimes and genocides.

China is already doing that.

If China really wants to get in the USA's craw, they should be selling weapons to Puerto Rico to help them declare independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post

when has any country not acted like a "spoiled" kid anyway? all countires (especially large ones) have a "me-first" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    China is already doing that.
    If that is the case, then we should be proud of China. If the West doesn't like about that then they can supply their weapons to the oppositions instead of open their mouth and whine about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    when has any country not acted like a "spoiled" kid anyway? all countires (especially large ones) have a "me-first" mentality.
    Actually, it's more like Mafia bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    If that is the case, then we should be proud of China. If the West doesn't like about that then they can supply their weapons to the oppositions instead of open their mouth and whine about it..
    Back to the Cold War? Sounds fun.

I'm glad you are not a politician.

You can take the Communist out of Vietnam, but apparently, you can't take the PRC propaganda out of the Communist.

I follow Taiwan news almost daily. One thing I've noticed since the announcement of arms sale to Taiwan is the increase by The People's Daily (China's state run newspaper) of articles on how well economic relations between China and Taiwan are going. Hu even went to Fujian to promote greater economic ties between southern Fujian and Taiwan business, I believe (if memory serves) he even met Taiwanese businessmen. This is all during China's more vocal than usual opposition.

Much of this vocal bluster by the PRC is, I believe, because Hu is set to step down as President in 2012. There's a jocking for power going on in China, they have to put on a strong face during this time of relative chaos.
    Last edited by Dirt; 02-22-10 at 05:26 PM.