Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    Well true, we don't know. so similarly, why do we all assume he's gonna have a miserable life just because hes back to pauper-hood? You don't have to give everything away to be freed from bondage of materialism, but if you're unable to give everything away, you're still to a certain extent bonded, because your state of mind still have attachment to things of the world. Even as I say that, I'm not saying it's a crime to have possession, so there is no need to be defensive about wanting to possess things. If you give everything and regret, yes, you still have not been released from that bondage.
    "Gonna have a miserable life?" That's assuming he's satisfied with his life now and obviously that's not the case. By your definition, "to a certain extent," no one can ever be freed from the bondage of materialism since one cannot live on absolutely nothing.

He might be unhappy not because of money, but he mistakenly believe money could bring him happiness. When he had money, he realised his mistake ~ a person's mentally can change.
    Of course a person's mentality can change, but has he ever been happy? He's going around in a circle/backwards instead of moving forward.

He might appreciate poverty better now. Maybe.
    Well if you ever feel like appreciating poverty, I (and I'm sure many others) would be happy to alleviate you of the awful burdens of having money and material goods.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can certainly buy you a lot of things that could help mask your sadness.

Anyway, I'm sure he isn't literally giving away every penny. Although, if he has truly found happiness in simplicity, then good for him.
    Last edited by skylee; 02-12-10 at 05:34 AM.

Money can't buy happiness, but you'll be pretty upset without money. Try buying food and water, how about paying rent? Yeah alright.