Thread: Escalator manners

Default Escalator manners

common sense, might be the word that instinctively strikes your mind and words you would relate to when it comes to such manners.

people in this senario:

the watchers (my friend and i)
    the huggers (a couple hugging passionately in the mid of an escalator)
    the time-rushers (another couple rushing for time, from level 1 aheading to 3 on a single escalator)

Props: the long escalator (travels slow; takes people from level 1 all the way to level 3 and enough to accomodate 2 persons of average mass standing side by side)

senario:

yesterday, i was travelling on the long escalator with a friend of mine, and we were talking away. the huggers, standing 5 steps ahead of us, who displayed PDA happily hugging each other in the mid of the long escalator. they didn't move and allowed the escalator to bring them throughout the levels, as if they were in a romance movie. i thought such behaviour is inconsiderate and would definitely cause inconvenience to anyone who might be rushing for time.

true enough, along came another couple - the time rushers, who are probably rushing for movie since that is where the escalator will lead us to. i could see their urgency since they started running when they began at level 1. my friend and i aligned ourselves such that anyone who came rushing up the escalator could make their way through without opening their mouths. then the time-rushers were stuck at that segment where the huggers were. i think the girl (in the time-rushers) did said "excuse me", you can roughly tell from the body language/ their gestures from the back.

the huggers, who seem to live in their own world momentarily, didn't move. the girl aggressively just brushed her way through, with her bf following behind.

the huggers knocked up by the time-rushers looked displeased, especially the girl hugger. she said something to her bf with a frowning look.

then i looked at my friend, shook my head and said "see, this is what i call Dumb!" (referring to the huggers)

I had experienced on many occasions of people who remained stagnant on escalators blocking the way, when your footwork obviously is loud enough to give a hint to them to give way. for courtesy or safety purposes, keeping the practice of leaving a path for others to get through isn't that difficult if you are too tired to walk on.

what are your experiences on that? what is your opinion? any practice or rules applied for escalator manners in your country? discuss!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 02-28-10 at 11:35 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

People are generally considerate with the escalators at train stations here. It's ettiquette to stay on the left side of the escalator if you're not moving forward. Ocassionally you'll get groups of teeny boppers to block up the path, but a quick excuse me gets them to clear the way.

Not just escalators but footpaths. I hate groups of slow people standing side by side blocking people off.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Not just escalators but footpaths. I hate groups of slow people standing side by side blocking people off.
    Wow yeah. I get this a lot. They annoy the fur out of me.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

In London they have signs which say "please stand on the right" and in general people do. In Malaysia, there are no signs, and while I have a habit of standing on the right, some people prefer to stand on the left (like in a right-hand drive road, so people overtake on the right). But in general people don't mind weaving among the crowd as long as there's room.

The blockers aren't confined to romantic couples, though. The largest majority in my experience are the aunties who chitchatchitchat and clump together in the middle of the escalator. You can say excuse me and they just ignore you. Close on their heels are the large families where the parents don't keep their kids on one side, and they're all over the place.. I'm more sympathetic to that, but it's no less annoying. I hate it more when they get out of the escalator and proceed to walk down a shopping complex corridor, fat dad, fat mom, maybe a second wife, and 7 children all walking in a damned horizontal line from left to right, like a bowling pin sweeping mechanism.

Malaysians are generally quite rude and inconsiderate, although thankfully the arrogant ones who refuse to give way when asked to are in the minority. Of course, we only judge those when it's a clear escalator and one couple hogs the centre.. if it's a crowded escalator then there's just no point.

For the blockers, I just stomp really loudly upon approaching and that usually scares them out of the way. If that fails, a tap on the shoulder and thundering "EXCUSE ME" will do the trick (i.e maximum brain cell damage while getting them out of my way).

For the soft c0cks that stop at the top or bottom of the escalator despite walking all the way there, I really want to kick them in the back. Fvck me dead, you've been using the escalator all your life and can't figure out the coordination required to keep walking?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Sometimes there are so many blockers on the escalators, I just give up and use the stairs.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

I always saw a sign near the escalators in shopping complexes that said you are not supposed to walk or run on the escalator.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-28-10 at 10:16 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I always saw a sign near the escalators in shopping complexes that said you are not supposed to walk or run on the escalator.
    No such sign here. Probably because Australians need to walk their fat arses off.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

That's a good discipline. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    The blockers aren't confined to romantic couples, though. The largest majority in my experience are the aunties who chitchatchitchat and clump together in the middle of the escalator. You can say excuse me and they just ignore you. Close on their heels are the large families where the parents don't keep their kids on one side, and they're all over the place.. I'm more sympathetic to that, but it's no less annoying. I hate it more when they get out of the escalator and proceed to walk down a shopping complex corridor, fat dad, fat mom, maybe a second wife, and 7 children all walking in a damned horizontal line from left to right, like a bowling pin sweeping mechanism.

Malaysians are generally quite rude and inconsiderate, although thankfully the arrogant ones who refuse to give way when asked to are in the minority. Of course, we only judge those when it's a clear escalator and one couple hogs the centre.. if it's a crowded escalator then there's just no point.
    The escalator in my scenario is considerably cleared as the shopping mall itself hasn't got much patron. There were only the watchers and the huggers before the time-rushers came along. Even when it's on a crowded escalator, discipline is discipline.

Stomping down/up as signal for the rest to give way has proven to be an effective move. Thanks to the heels!

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    For the soft c0cks that stop at the top or bottom of the escalator despite walking all the way there, I really want to kick them in the back. Fvck me dead, you've been using the escalator all your life and can't figure out the coordination required to keep walking?
    A friend of mine said exactly that same thing, something which I'm always tempted to do alright.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Sometimes there are so many blockers on the escalators, I just give up and use the stairs.
    I won't mind the stairs exercise if there's any. The lifts, are as good as they never exists.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I saw, occasionally, signs that said no running on escalator in shopping malls. But I think walking is hard to avoid.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I won't mind the stairs exercise if there's any. The lifts, are as good as they never exists.
    I agree. The lifts are so painfully slow.

Go to the lift lobby, press the button, and start walking to the furthest escalator. You might get to the floor you wanted even before the lift arrives. That's how slow they are!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I saw, occasionally, signs that said no running on escalator in shopping malls. But I think walking is hard to avoid.
    In my experience, I seldom see people walking on the escalator. The majority of people just stand.

I only walk when I'm in a hurry or when the escalator is clear (no one in front of me).

But, the huggers really were inconsiderate.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I agree. The lifts are so painfully slow.

Go to the lift lobby, press the button, and start walking to the furthest escalator. You might get to the floor you wanted even before the lift arrives. That's how slow they are!
    Slow is one thing. Sometimes, the lifts are hidden in really obscure area that it's nearly impossible to find them. In that shopping mall where I was, I went and ask the lady at the Conceige, she took quite awhile to finally figure out where the lift was hidden.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 03-01-10 at 01:04 AM.