Thread: Main characters actually appearing in the first chapter, first scene, first line...

Default Main characters actually appearing in the first chapter, first scene, first line...

In wuxia (as in much storytelling, I suppose), it seems very rare that the main character of a story appears in the very first chapter, scene, or line of a story. Jin Yong is especially notorious for this, with Kiu Fung (as an extreme example) not showing up in DGSD until the story is almost a third over. Among Jin Yong protagonists, in fact, I don't know of any main character who was also the first character to show up in the story. Usually, a whole boatload of supporting characters show up before the main character does in a Jin Yong story.

The only time I *know* of a main character showing up at the very beginning is Gu Long's LUK SIU FUNG. That series of novels actually starts with the main character's name being the first words to appear in the text, and Luk Siu Fung shows up before any other characters do.

But that seems rare.

That mainly has to do with GL presenting his characters as fully developed, somewhat mysterious and powerful figures while JY likes to flesh out his characters and give their history and background.

I can see the appeal of presenting characters either way, but GL's way definitely makes his characters feel "cooler".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In wuxia (as in much storytelling, I suppose), it seems very rare that the main character of a story appears in the very first chapter, scene, or line of a story. Jin Yong is especially notorious for this, with Kiu Fung (as an extreme example) not showing up in DGSD until the story is almost a third over. Among Jin Yong protagonists, in fact, I don't know of any main character who was also the first character to show up in the story. Usually, a whole boatload of supporting characters show up before the main character does in a Jin Yong story.

The only time I *know* of a main character showing up at the very beginning is Gu Long's LUK SIU FUNG. That series of novels actually starts with the main character's name being the first words to appear in the text, and Luk Siu Fung shows up before any other characters do.

But that seems rare.
    Xu Zhu was revealed even later, in the middle of Book 3 (out of 5)!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

By contrast, 'A Deadly Secret' (or whatever the favoured English translation is nowadays) opens with the 'tuo tuo tuo!' sounds of Di Yun and Qi Fang sparring together with swords under their teacher's supervision.

Duan Yu was introduced in the first chapter, first scene though.

Yang Guo was introduced not in his own books.

don't have the books handy to verify, but i vaguely remember dagger li and ah fei being introduced very early on.

i think the same applies to foo hung suet as well.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    By contrast, 'A Deadly Secret' (or whatever the favoured English translation is nowadays) opens with the 'tuo tuo tuo!' sounds of Di Yun and Qi Fang sparring together with swords under their teacher's supervision.
    Yes, I think Di Yun is the soonest-introduced protagonist, at least in Jin Yong's longer-than-2-chapters novels.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy View Post
    don't have the books handy to verify, but i vaguely remember dagger li and ah fei being introduced very early on.

i think the same applies to foo hung suet as well.
    Yes, Li Xunhuan was introduced first riding in a carriage pining over Lin Shiyin and soon meets Ah Fei.

Bordertown opens with Ye Kai seeing Fu Hongxue at an inn.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Yes, Li Xunhuan was introduced first riding in a carriage pining over Lin Shiyin and soon meets Ah Fei.
    Ah, so the 1977 movie Sentimental Swordsman was quite accurate in the opening sequence.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」