Thread: Seperating Hook (Lei Bit Ngau) <離別勾>

Default Seperating Hook (Lei Bit Ngau) <離別勾>

I was rummaging through my CD collection (am burning most of them to mp3 so I can access them from the pc easily) and I came across a song in one of my Adam Cheng CDs. It was "Lan Yan Bit Lei Looi" (Hard to hold back separation tears), and it says it's the themesong for a TVB serial "Lei Bit Ngau" or "Separation Hook", one of Gu Long's "Seven Weapons" series. I never knew such a serial existed - does anyone know when this serial came about, and who starred in it?
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 03-10-10 at 01:07 PM.

I saw all of two minutes of this when I was a kid. All I know is that the series was produced during the late 1970s, and I believe the star was the actor best known among old school TVB fans as the guy who played Central Plains 1 Dim Hung in 1979's CHOR LAU HEUNG and the gunman Yeung Geen in THE SHELL GAME. More recently, he's resurfaced in ATV's MY DATE WITH A VAMPIRE series.

I know him as Dai Ma Sing! =) Don't know his real name, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I know him as Dai Ma Sing! =) Don't know his real name, though.
    Oh, yeah. He had that iconic role too, didn't he?

During the late 1970s, TVB experimented with letting a few guys who usually played supporting characters star in Gu Long adaptations. Hence, this guy got to star in SEPARATION HOOK, and Ha Yu got to star in the 1979 adaptation of THE SWORD AND THE EXQUISITENESS. The experiment was short-lived, however, and these guys went on to long TV careers...playing supporting roles.

Found this on tudou!

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/wA1h8iP6ZKg/

I really want to watch this!! =)

Looks like Patrick Tse is Di Cinglin. Li Youwai must be the girlfriend he kills, and Koo Miew Tse is probably Ruyu. Not sure if the other girl is Patrick's wife Deborah. You can hardly see the Yang Zheng's face, though, so poor Dai Ma Sing was obviously not considered as a selling point =)

Found this on tudou!

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/wA1h8iP6ZKg/

I really want to watch this!! =)

Looks like Patrick Tse is Di Cinglin. Li Youwai must be the girlfriend he kills, and Koo Miew Tse is probably Ruyu. Not sure if the other girl is Patrick's wife Deborah. You can hardly see the Yang Zheng's face, though, so poor Dai Ma Sing was obviously not considered as a selling point =)
    It's too bad. He *really* dominated the two minutes of action I saw of the series.

Gu Long was for 1970s TVB what Jin Yong would be in the 1980s. During the 1970s, TVB adapted the hell out of Gu Long's canon, but BOOK & SWORD: GRATITUDE & REVENGE and the first adaptation of HEAVEN SWORD & DRAGON SABRE were TVB's only two forays into the Jin Yong canon during the 1970s. In the 1980s, however, it was just the opposite: there were hardly any Gu Long adaptations (other than a few LUK SIU FUNG and CHOR LAU HEUNG remakes), but TVB took on most of Jin Yong's major novels during the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Oh, yeah. He had that iconic role too, didn't he?

During the late 1970s, TVB experimented with letting a few guys who usually played supporting characters star in Gu Long adaptations. Hence, this guy got to star in SEPARATION HOOK, and Ha Yu got to star in the 1979 adaptation of THE SWORD AND THE EXQUISITENESS. The experiment was short-lived, however, and these guys went on to long TV careers...playing supporting roles.
    I also want to watch that version of Ming Kim Fung Lau.. I'm surprised that given the good length of the story, and the relatively solid plot and decent ending (rare among Gu Long stories) it has never ever been made into a serial again.

I also found this write up on Separation Hook on baidu:-

1.[离别钩]1980年02月04日/根据古龙[七种武器之离别钩]改编/监制:王天林/编导:王天林.杜琪峰/主演.谢贤.狄波拉.吕有慧.南红.高妙思.黄树棠.刘兆铭.刘丹.秦煌.关键./10集首部中篇古装剧/主题曲《难忍别离泪》郑少秋演唱. 谢贤与狄波拉新婚后首部合作的剧集

It seems the girl is Deborah Di. The funny thing is.. if you look at the order of names listed.. Patrick Tse, Deborah, Lu Youwai, Nam Hung, Koo Miew Tse, Wong Shu Tong, Lau Siu Ming, Lau Dan, Chun Wong, Guan Kin... assuming Dai Ma Sing is "Wong Shu Tong" instead of "Guan Kin" (the only two names I can't place a face to) he still only comes as 6th on the cast list for the main protagonist. TVB really made it clear that it was an experiment... =)

I also want to watch that version of Ming Kim Fung Lau.. I'm surprised that given the good length of the story, and the relatively solid plot and decent ending (rare among Gu Long stories) it has never ever been made into a serial again.

I also found this write up on Separation Hook on baidu:-

1.[离别钩]1980年02月04日/根据古龙[七种武器之离别钩]改编/监制:王天林/编导:王天林.杜琪峰/主演.谢贤.狄波拉.吕有慧.南红.高妙思.黄树棠.刘兆铭.刘丹.秦煌.关键./10集首部中篇古装剧/主题曲《难忍别离泪》郑少秋演唱. 谢贤与狄波拉新婚后首部合作的剧集

It seems the girl is Deborah Di. The funny thing is.. if you look at the order of names listed.. Patrick Tse, Deborah, Lu Youwai, Nam Hung, Koo Miew Tse, Wong Shu Tong, Lau Siu Ming, Lau Dan, Chun Wong, Guan Kin... assuming Dai Ma Sing is "Wong Shu Tong" instead of "Guan Kin" (the only two names I can't place a face to) he still only comes as 6th on the cast list for the main protagonist. TVB really made it clear that it was an experiment... =)
    I believe that Wong Shu Tong is indeed Dai Ma Sing/Divine Gunman Yeung Geen. The guy was a pretty good actor in those tough guy type roles. Dai Ma Sing was actually a departure for him in that the character was far more lighthearted and humorous than the kinds of characters he usually played. Dai Ma Sing was still a tough guy, though.

This video reminds me of how beautiful Deborah Di was in the 70s.. I've never seen her in such a gentle and demure role. I've seen her in the old Shaw brother movies (Ouyang Qing in Luk Siu Fung, Embroidery Bandit comes to mind) but she was more lively, cunning and sultry there - here's she's just the perfect wuxia damsel!

It's hard to imagine that she's the mother of Nicholas Tse, who's like married to Cecilia Cheung and has a kid.. makes me feel very very old.. even though I was just a kid when Patrick and Deborah were in their prime.

This video reminds me of how beautiful Deborah Di was in the 70s.. I've never seen her in such a gentle and demure role. I've seen her in the old Shaw brother movies (Ouyang Qing in Luk Siu Fung, Embroidery Bandit comes to mind) but she was more lively, cunning and sultry there - here's she's just the perfect wuxia damsel!

It's hard to imagine that she's the mother of Nicholas Tse, who's like married to Cecilia Cheung and has a kid.. makes me feel very very old.. even though I was just a kid when Patrick and Deborah were in their prime.
    Patrick Tse had two prime periods in his career.

The first prime was during the 1950s/1960s era, when he was the young lead in many black and white home-grown Hong Kong popular features. Tse was the "James Dean" of Hong Kong cinema during those years.

The first part of the 1970s were a sort of quiet period for Tse, as the sort of films he starred in during the 1950s and 1960s became passe. However, he experienced a career renaissance beginning in the late 1970s as an actor for TVB, now playing roles as middle-aged men of accomplishment. In 1980, he played perhaps his most iconic role - the Gambling King Lo 4 Hoi in THE SHELL GAME.

The 1980s saw Tse do steady, respectable work. After he immigrated to Canada in the late 1980s, however, he did very little acting work.

I remember Patrick and Deborah did a very good sketch in one of the charity shows during the late 80s, where they played around with TVB artiste names, ending with a brilliant recitation of the names of many TVB artistes in prose..

That was by far the best act of the night, and I always felt it was unfair that they lost to Adam and Lydia's "Bar Wong Bit Kei".

I remember Patrick and Deborah did a very good sketch in one of the charity shows during the late 80s, where they played around with TVB artiste names, ending with a brilliant recitation of the names of many TVB artistes in prose...
    I imagine Patrick Tse to be one of the coolest dudes to shoot pool and drink with. He's pretty much my dad's age, but I think he'd still be a great drinking buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Having seen what little screentime Wong Shutong had for the themesong of Separation Hook, I searched for Sword and the Exquisiteness to see if Ha Yu had better luck. It was even worse - I couldn't stop laughing throughout the song. Lovely song, but well.. I've never seen scenes like this before. They really didn't think he had star quality, obviously.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQzNDM5Njg=.html

Having seen what little screentime Wong Shutong had for the themesong of Separation Hook, I searched for Sword and the Exquisiteness to see if Ha Yu had better luck. It was even worse - I couldn't stop laughing throughout the song. Lovely song, but well.. I've never seen scenes like this before. They really didn't think he had star quality, obviously.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQzNDM5Njg=.html
    TVB could really use a few more actors such as Wong Shu Tong, Wong Wan Choi, Kwan Chung, etc., around. When I was a kid watching TVB series, I looked forward to seeing these actors perform as much as I did the stars.

In 1970s TVB wuxia, especially, when Kwan Chung showed up (invariably as a villain), you *knew* cool stuff was going to happen soon!

a little island east of america and west of europe

Found this....
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://x.bbs.sina.com.cn/forum/show_fpic.php?apid=forum&uid=1168818601&fpid=29745 26&postfix=0&ptp=0')

Such a cool pic!! "Patrick Tse wants to kill Deborah Di" as the headline is just hilarious =)