Thread: The Final Verdict - Spoiler Request

Default The Final Verdict - Spoiler Request

I was watching this back in 1990...and never saw the ending...Adam Cheng's character was accused of mass murder while his wife ran off with his daugther into the arms of the cop who framed him...and his daugther married the son of the guy (Kenneth Tsang) who committed the murders...what I want to know is how did it end and what happened to all the characters...especially the traitorous wife and daugther, the dirty wife-stealing cop, Kenneth Tsang's character and Tsang's son who witnessed the murders but said nothing and married Cheng's daugther and what happened to Cheng, the son and the grandma...

I remember watching it and getting angry at the wife and all the bad guys and feeling bad for Cheng and his son and the grandma...and I kept waiting for redemption and revenge...but then my trip to HK ended and I had to fly back to Canada...

This has been bugging me occasionally for DECADES...please help! Thanks.

click to show/hide spoilers

Everyone kind of got what they deserved, really.

Adam got out of jail when his mother met a lawyer (Wu Fung) who was convinced by her sincerity, and together with his assistant (and some help from Gallen) they managed to find evidence that Adam wasn't at the scene of the crime. He then tries to seek justice against Kenneth (who was intent on harming him), and after a lot of tribulations, succeeds.

Kenneth became one of the richest and most powerful men in Hong Kong, and tried his best to stop Adam from getting out of jail. He goes on a persecution spree against everyone close to Adam and after succeeding in sabotaging the prosecution's case against him, is brought to justice when his own defending barrister (played by Kwan Hoi San), having realised that he was guilty after all, turns against him in the final summary stage (one of the best scenes in TVB ever, imo). He is diagnosed with cancer while in jail and dies unrepentant of his misdeeds.

Kenneth's son Gallen falls in love with Adam's daughter, and they marry, and he also finally agrees to testify against his father. However, burdened by conflict, he commits suicide before testifying. His suicide is what triggers Kwan Hoi San's suspicion of his own client, as for once, he couldn't rationalize the episode, and it would only make sense if his client was truly guilty.

Kwok Fung, the cop who framed Adam, is killed by Kenneth who wants to silence him for his knowledge after they fall out. Kwok Fung is also conveniently framed for the murder after Adam has been released.

Rebecca Chan loses her husband, her daughter (who becomes a nun after the trial is over), although she remains on friendly terms with Adam and their son, Roger Kwok.

The grandma dies when Adam's daughter pushes her off some stairs, iirc.

Roger serves some time in jail for some offence, but upon release is a stronger character and looks to have a better future ahead of him.

The daugther killed her own grandmother???!!!! I remember seeing the dirty cop get dragged away, so I figured he was killed...I was hoping that the traitorous mom and HER mom would get their just deserts and have all her money and home taken away from her and dumped on the street since she basically had a hand in throwing her own son and mother-in-law out on to the street. And no convent SHOULD take in a traitorous daugther and murderer of the elderly...

Thanks for letting me know what happened....but after reading how the grandma was killed, I am very angry right now as if I was watching this all over again.

I may have a few more postings...a lot of old HK TV series are coming back to me from memory but I have no idea what they are called.

I think it was an accident, but I can't remember the details. It must have been, because all she got was a slap from Adam rather than a jail sentence..

Did the wife apologize to Adam and son and grandma for:

1) Cheating on him;
    2) Abandoning him;
    3) Abandoning his mom and their son;
    4) Letting her dirty-cop husband throw him wrongfully in prison for 20 years;
    5) Turn their daugther against him;
    6) Have zero belief in him when he was on trial.