Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I brought him up once prior to your post, and I never said any of the things you're saying I'm saying. I said I was under the impression, because everybody here respects Laviathan's wuxia knowledge even though at first he was under constant fire for his radical idea at the time. I only brought him up because YOU said Dugu was mythologized and above Xiao Feng, when the forum consensus ever since then was that Dugu was above Xiao Feng.

I always follow his word? The forum as a whole came to accept that condor greats ~= to dgsd elites. I went with the flow because there was a strong amount of evidence supporting it, and I didn't have evidence denying it even though I personally feel Xiao Feng > Condor Greats by at least 10%. But logically and textual evidence wise I can't support it so I accept that view as valid also. His ideas are always well presented but I still disagree with some. Just because I agree with one of his ideas doesn't mean I have to agree with all of his. It just means I believe he has stronger evidence in one and weaker evidence in the other.

See that's the problem with a lot of debates recently. Back then, you have an idea, you find a couple passages that support your idea, you post it, and people discuss your idea with other passages that refute it or deny it.

Now, it's a whole if you can't prove it without doubt, then your idea has no merit. Forget that you have ideas based on events from the book and fights that support your idea. If you can't prove it completely, then haha you lose the argument case closed -- even though it was never an argument to begin with and more of a discussion. The whole winning the debate approach to this forum is really tiring, opposed to an open discussion like it ought to be.
    You brought up Laviathan twice as a reference, a measurement almost, on what is "right". Twice. Once with me, once with Ken.

I've freely given quarter on a whole host of issues, including one that is closest and dearest to my heart: Yang >= WCY. But I agree with you, the lavish demi-god worship of DGQB and him being able to always win and debate against the contrary always being wrong does become tiring.
    Last edited by Dirt; 03-31-10 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    You brought up Laviathan twice as a reference, a measurement almost, on what we should believe. Twice. Once with me, once with Ken.

I've freely given quarter on a whole host of issues, including one that is closest and dearest to my heart: Yang >= WCY. But I agree with you, the lavish demi-god worship of DGQB and him being able to always win and debate against the contrary always being wrong does become tiring.
    It was not a measurement on what we should believe, it was recapping what the forum as a consensus HAS believed in the past couple years. I'd be happier if DGSD elites were stronger than Condor Greats because that's the impression I get, but if evidence suggests otherwise and everyone agrees, what can I do ? I gave him credit for putting it out there first, but there isn't much Lavianthan believes this so it must be true in my post. Re-read it if you must and maybe you'll see it differently.

Your second sentence is why I believe you to be trolling. I expressed several times that Dugu will lose to Sweeper for sure, and can lose to Xu Zhu/Shi Potian as well. He is hardly invincible and I have never said so. Yet you continue to try to provoke me by saying it is Dugu worship and how he is always undefeatable and invincible amongst his supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Have you been eating whale lately?
    No whale-consuming lately or ever. I think my fondness of Mai Jing is mainly actually a somewhat-complicated, several-step process:

1. There is another SPCNETie with the name "Mai" in her name.

2. I gave her the nickname "Mai Jing" on the facebook group.

3. This SPCNETie has a defining physical feature, which i heard about.

4. Another friend of mine in real life has a similar physical feature.

5. When I see my real life friend, I'm sometimes reminded of this SPCNETie, who reminds me of Mai Jing's name.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by augster123 View Post
    Random Thought # 5
    Having not read the Gu Long novel series, can Chu Liuxiang use his superb Lightness Kungfu to float on water like QQR?
    One of his nemesis, Yinji, kinda could.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    All it did was knock down the previous automatic assumption that DGSD Elites of the Kiu Fung level were *necessarily* better than the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY Greats. It broke that barrier down, but still, many people continue to believe that Kiu Fung, Siu Yeun San, Mo Yung Bok, and Kau Mor Tze are superior to Gwok Jing, Yeung Gor, Chow Bak Tung, and Wong Yerk See. Blame it on LDA fetish.
    I always attributed it to silly deterioration theory to which I am vehemently opposed. Deterioration theory only seems to apply because it nicely describes the relatively weak Qing dynasty martial arts feats. However, we've seen strong evidence against it already in Ming dynasty XAJH. Too bad the theory already seems to be ingrained in everyone's minds.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

The weakness in Qing Dynasty martial arts could be attributed to better technology. Many people hold up the Samurai as great warriors, having better fighting skills and methods than the Knights of the Middle Ages. The truth of the matter is that Knights had just as good fighting arts as the Samurai. The difference is that the West industrialized sooner than Japan. Western guns made swords almost obsolete in warfare; the Japanese, however, greatly resisted the use of guns until the 19th century (though they had them since at least the Sengoku period) and choosing to preserve the Samurai way.

Random Thoughts:
    • Versus threads getting yawn especially since there is no way to argue against (or contribute more than) board elders
    • Big Condor aka Diu Hing got shafted
    • XSL is hot and the women in "A Step Into the Past" are more liberated than any other wuxia novel I have encountered
    • Next project is to finish reading Ode to Gallantry to verify if SPT jumped over an ocean

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    One of his nemesis, Yinji, kinda could.
    interesting. did Yin Ji (Water Matriarch?) use that skill to approach Chu LiuXiang's boat to attack him?

Random Thought # 6

Solely looking at TigerWong's Gu Long list and from recently watching New Adventures of CLX '84, can Chu LiuXiang + Bat Prince + Xie Yi Ren defeat Yin Ji in a 3 on 1 battle?

if Chen Jialuo and Mai Jing walked in a bar, and LITERARY GOD Cao Xueqin was having a haircut, what would they eat?

How much wood could a Dugu chuck if a Dugu could chuck wood?

Which spcnet members, if thrown into a wuxia novel, would not only survive but thrive?

...I probably would not. However, if it were a Gu Long novel, maybe one could exploit her youth and beauty? No, I'd probably still die because I'm disrespectful of male authority figures and talk too much.
    I like me.

Which spcnet members, if thrown into a wuxia novel, would not only survive but thrive?
    In Jin Yong universe, where honor is highly revered, one who is honorable and brave has the highest chance of surviving. Even more than one who is cunning and clever, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by augster123 View Post
    interesting. did Yin Ji (Water Matriarch?) use that skill to approach Chu LiuXiang's boat to attack him?

Random Thought # 6

Solely looking at TigerWong's Gu Long list and from recently watching New Adventures of CLX '84, can Chu LiuXiang + Bat Prince + Xie Yi Ren defeat Yin Ji in a 3 on 1 battle?
    No I think it was more like she was able to stand on streams of water. Ironically, Chu took her down by dragging her underwater since he had the ability to breathe underwater.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    In Jin Yong universe, where honor is highly revered, one who is honorable and brave has the highest chance of surviving. Even more than one who is cunning and clever, I'd say.
    People in Lu Ding Ji wished they had got that memo.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I don't know about that. For every story that has a protagonist survive through valour. 10 times as many have died to evil guys when they should have bailed.

Any number nobodies from any number of sects that's ever stood up to OYF
    The entire Lin household defending Lin Ping Zhi, though they were closed in pretty much.
    The remaining Qingcheng school fighting against Lin Ping Zhi
    RWX loyalists when DFBB took over
    DFBB loyalists when RWX took over again
    A large number of people in Juxian manor when XF was there

And so on and so on. Bravery matters most when you are competent to the task. Its suicide when you are at the wrong place at the wrong time, or just plain outclassed.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Ken? from Ken to mooncake to Batman to Ken - versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Ken? from Ken to mooncake to Batman to Ken - versatile.
    Meh such stubborness will get him nowhere in wuxia. Unless he's hot and has the protection of a giant wuxia family like guofu.

People who I see likely to survive:
    RWX
    CC
    Banh
    HuangYuShi

I see Candide getting one of his testicles chopped off in any story other than LDJ.
    Last edited by yittz; 04-02-10 at 10:59 AM.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I see Candide getting one of his testicles chopped off in any story other than LDJ.
    If both of them are cut off, I would suggest a jump from LDJ to XAJH. That's how DFBB, LPZ, and YBQ did it right? I must confess, I'm quite ignorant about such matters.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    People who I see likely to survive:
    RWX
    CC
    Banh
    HuangYuShi

Thank you, yittz!

Let's see:
    RWX is a diplomat who knows the law. Good to have around when corrupt officials appear.
    CC is knowledgeable and street-wise. Good to have around when jianghu riff-raff appear.
    Banh (Mi, I assume) is skilled in martial arts. Good to have around when fists, feet and restaurant furniture start to fly.
    Candide has his ways with women. Good to have around when one woman or another needs to be charmed, pacified or otherwise talked/coerced into providing necessary food, shelter, info/intel, etc. ... even if he actually gets a testicle chopped off in the process.

And that's exactly why we need to add you (yittz) to the gang. Someone needs to patch us up properly when we get into trouble.

Besides, how can we not drag you along for the ride after you've named us as people who would most likely survive being thrown into a wuxia novel?

Me? I'll just slip away to some mountain, cave, valley or other hard-to-access place and indulge in music, chess, literature and art.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    No I think it was more like she was able to stand on streams of water. Ironically, Chu took her down by dragging her underwater since he had the ability to breathe underwater.
    whaaaaat...Chu has the skills of a fish too? poor Water Matriarch...that is hard to beat
    hmmmmmmm...why didn't Chu use that skill to locate the underwater cave entrance to the Bat Palace in Legend of the Bat from the beginning of their search then or did he do that and the TV series got that part wrong?