Thread: Best TV/Film Adaptations of Jin Yong novel?

Default Best TV/Film Adaptations of Jin Yong novel?

What are your Favorite/the Best TV/Film Adaptations of a Jin Yong novel?

Quote Originally Posted by pdpredtide View Post
    What are your Favorite/the Best TV/Film Adaptations of a Jin Yong novel?
    LOCH82 by TVB.
    HSDS86 by TVB.
    Mostly adaption by TVB during the 80s and earlier.

LOCH 83 - my first exposure to wuxia. memorable characters till this day.
    SOD 96 - possibly the greatest adaption in terms of characters & faithfulness to the story. Jackie Lui as LHC is by far the greatest ever!
    DOMD - just loved the chemistry btwn Tony & Andy.
    Bi Xue Jian 2007 - this is one of the better mainland adaption. low budget with little exposure but definitely more successful than some of the big budget series.

HSDS 86. Great actor chemistry, great script, relentlessly enjoyable.

LoCH 2003. Very atmospheric, true to the book, despite some miscast.

I suppose I'd enjoy DGSD 1996 more (I'm currently watching it) if I'm actually interested in the characters. But as a series, it's very engaging, and about 90% (?) true to the book.
    Last edited by leorio; 04-01-10 at 11:47 PM.

any others?? thank you all!

I'm liking SOD '96 so far.

anyone know if BXJ '84 is any good?

Yeah, SOD 96 is the best, although the portrayal of DG9J is a LHC in twister mode.

LOCH 2003 and DGSD 2003(I think it's 2003) completes the top 3.

If there's one for worst adaptation, I guess there will be a lot of comments and critics from everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Yeah, SOD 96 is the best, although the portrayal of DG9J is a LHC in twister mode.

LOCH 2003 and DGSD 2003(I think it's 2003) completes the top 3.

If there's one for worst adaptation, I guess there will be a lot of comments and critics from everyone.
    Few would disagree with HSDS '00 (TVB).

Quote Originally Posted by augster123 View Post
    anyone know if BXJ '84 is any good?
    It's called Sword Stained with Royal Blood with Felix Wong and Patricia Chong as the main leads. The series is great except the stupid ending that I hate. Isn't Yuan Ching Zhi and QingQing supposedly ended up together in the end?? In the series, they aren't and that really piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Flying Fox '99 was pretty bad...though the parts with Felix Wong were pretty enjoyable.

Wasn't a fan of Crimson Sabre '00(?) either. I think it was the first wuxia series in my early teen years I just gave up on watching completely because I was so bored.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Flying Fox '99 was pretty bad...though the parts with Felix Wong were pretty enjoyable.

Wasn't a fan of Crimson Sabre '00(?) either. I think it was the first wuxia series in my early teen years I just gave up on watching completely because I was so bored.
    Only HSDS '00 compelled Jin Yong to revoke TVB's adaptation license, though.

Then again, I heard that he hated the 1990s Taiwanese adaptation of ROCH just as much...the one where they dressed Little Dragon Girl in black (as if THAT was going to go over well).

Only HSDS '00 compelled Jin Yong to revoke TVB's adaptation license, though.

Then again, I heard that he hated the 1990s Taiwanese adaptation of ROCH just as much...the one where they dressed Little Dragon Girl in black (as if THAT was going to go over well).
    It's funny because that was the first ROCH I watched fully. As a kid I watched ROCH '83 of course but never really understood much of the plot elements and was only interested in the fights.

The Taiwanese version was when I actually understood the story, so I enjoyed it at the time. Incidentally for all YG lovers, there is a scene where Golden Wheel Monk defeats Guo Jing instantly with lightning bolt from the eyes and mind controls him

It's funny because that was the first ROCH I watched fully. As a kid I watched ROCH '83 of course but never really understood much of the plot elements and was only interested in the fights.

The Taiwanese version was when I actually understood the story, so I enjoyed it at the time. Incidentally for all YG lovers, there is a scene where Golden Wheel Monk defeats Guo Jing instantly with lightning bolt from the eyes and mind controls him
    Is that the one starring Richie Ren? It was quite bad, I puked at the YG and brother condor scenes. There were some memorable moments though like H7G vs OYF at Huashan and the songs were nice.

Another Taiwanese SPW also by Richie Ren had him ice skating in the fight with YBQ and RWX getting charged ala solar cell

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Is that the one starring Richie Ren? It was quite bad, I puked at the YG and brother condor scenes. There were some memorable moments though like H7G vs OYF at Huashan and the songs were nice.

Another Taiwanese SPW also by Richie Ren had him ice skating in the fight with YBQ and RWX getting charged ala solar cell
    Yep was with Richie Ren. It wasn't really THAT bad if you never watched ROCH before and took it as a random wuxia series like I pretty much did. If accuracy is a criteria....well then it was bad. XLN was hot for an adolescent so some points for that. Nowhere as hot as ROCH '95...but she was a real babe there and nobody is as hot as her. Richie Ren and whoever played Ouyang Feng were awful in my opinion, and Huang Rong looked like she was about 50. I never realized she was only supposed to be 30 or so because of that.

I've never watched the taiwanese SPW, but RWX getting charged by the sun might have been inspired by the 80's SPW where he lost his mind because of the eclipse after roasting YBQ Emperor Palpatine style complete with lifting him up with electricity.

Yep was with Richie Ren.
    There was a period when the Taiwanese television production companies were casting Ren as *every* wuxia character. He'd play hero, villain, man, woman, even teapots.

He'd play hero, villain, man, woman, even teapots.
    Picture or hoax

A series I forgot to include in my best adaptation list: XAJH 2001. They should've gotten a less serious-looking Linghu Chong and make the plot move faster, but overall it's a great adaptation, with a very wuxia feel.

TVB tends to dramatize many scenes for the tastes of HK family audiences, not to mention that some parts of the novel were distorted. They also added many fillers.

The actors for their respective characters are 20+ older, such as Damien as ZCS, or Lawrence NG as ZWJ.

Gigi Lai however is perfect as ZM though, can't find a better one.

HSDS 00 is enjoyable as a family drama, TVB actors tend to be good at that stuff
    Last edited by Loke-Gao-Zhu; 04-07-10 at 09:23 PM.
    在下日月神教陸教主是也