Thread: Can you give your personal opinion in an essay paper?

Default Can you give your personal opinion in an essay paper?

Well, I'm writing a paper about marriage laws in Australia and I'm a fairly liberal-minded person. I want to express my opinions without using first person or making it too obvious that I dislike certain policies.

Is it possible to do this and still produce a solid factual essay?

It depends on what type of essay you are required to write. Is it the type where you simply have to produce the facts and prove your understanding of the issues at hand, or did the question require you to ARGUE (state your ideas) about it?

Actually the best person to ask is your lecturer, especially if he/she is the one who sets the paper.

Maybe you can find referencing texts that has about the same opinions as yours and use them in the essay.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

In writing academic essays, it is very important to get others' viewpoints (literature review) before arguing yours (your insights/evaluation).

If you're writing an argumentative essay, then by definition you are arguing towards a certain opinion.
    If your teacher is ok with it, you can put forward your views. But don't do it from your perspective.
    Back it up with evidence.

Instead of "I believe marriage is a trap against men"
    You could say "Marriage is a government recognised social status between two consenting adults of the opposite sex. The laws and legislation regarding alimony put men at a disadvantage such as ... etc etc."

Instead of "I don't like ...." use something like "this law of marriage is flawed because it can be exploited so and so"

If you don't like something, there's a reason. Focus on the reason and take out the you don't like it part. It can still be factual, it will just be biased, which is where your rebuttal comes in.

I agree with everyone's point. I think you should also keep in mind the balance of your essay. While you can be a liberal minded person, but you should also show that you are fair. You can argue your side, but don't fail to give credit where it's due from the opposite perspective, and then counter those. After all, as an intelligent well informed individual, you understand the facts of each side, but you're obviously leaning towards one more so than the other. You should explain why, instead of just implying that you're biased on the left side for the sake that it is the left side.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I agree with everyone's point. I think you should also keep in mind the balance of your essay. While you can be a liberal minded person, but you should also show that you are fair. You can argue your side, but don't fail to give credit where it's due from the opposite perspective, and then counter those. After all, as an intelligent well informed individual, you understand the facts of each side, but you're obviously leaning towards one more so than the other. You should explain why, instead of just implying that you're biased on the left side for the sake that it is the left side.
    Hogwash. The side I'm arguing towards is always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Hogwash. The side I'm arguing towards is always right.
    Holy ravioli Batman, such confidence! Some of us prefer a more well rounded and diplomatic style.
    I like me.

Yes, if your opinion is backed by facts, laws, statues and case studies. If not, then it is unvalued, useless, uninformed opinion.

That's what judges do anyway right? Issuing opinions.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control