Thread: HSDS - Girl as leader of Beggar Clan

Default HSDS - Girl as leader of Beggar Clan

Why on earth was Shi Fu Long's daughter installed as the new leader of the beggar clan by those elders? Was this a good idea?

A strong beggar clan leader needs to be highly skilled in martial arts and/or highly intelligent - time and again we see powerful wulin figures fall foul of intrigues because they don't have any brain cells.

Females cannot learn the dragon palms at all or not without great difficulty and there was no indication of Hong Shek's potential or that she was currently skilled. Her character was one that needed coddling and protection so i could not see her leading the clan through her intelligence nor her skills - only through the patronage of the powerful figures that would aid her (but had a tendency to be very late).

After those elders were duped by Cheng Qun and his disciple, were they driving the beggar clan to destruction by making this little girl the new leader after that fiasco?

Note what Mi Jue said about the survival of women in the sexist and harsh wulin environment: they must be be highly skilled and of a strong character to gain the respect of their male peers. (Man hating pre-requisite omitted)

Are there any strong clans/sects which relied strongly on hereditary leadership?
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Note what Mi Jue said about the survival of women in the sexist and harsh wulin environment: they must be be highly skilled and of a strong character to gain the respect of their male peers. (Man hating pre-requisite omitted)
    Give her some credit here.

Maybe it was a way of showing respect to their previous clan leader. Hereditary is nice but can be a bad idea, especially when the candidates are no good.

I suppose they just weren't ambitious and didn't care that much. The Beggar Clan can't really be driven into destruction anyway, because there will always be beggars around.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The funny thing is that until the case of Shih For Lung being succeeded by his daughter, the position of Beggar's Union Chief had *never* been hereditary before.

It's a plot device by Jin Yong to explain why the Beggar Clan became irrelevant after HSDS. Just like what Er Mei became (nothing) after the feminazi nuns were done fvcking with it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Emei was still a large and important clan in XAJH. They didn't play a part in the story but was mentioned as one of the "large sects" our schemers wanted to dominate.

I guess that there werent any other candidate that could gathter enough support to unify Beggar Clan. Shi Fu Long's daughter might be only the solution. She wont be able to lead the clan, but at least they would not fight among themself.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Similarly, in XAJH, judging from the way others spoke of the Beggar's Clan, it was on about an equal footing with Shaolin and Wudang; Yue Buqun, belittled Zuo Lengchan in a roundabout way by describing himself (Yue) as 'inferior to Shaolin's Fangzheng, Wudang's Chongxu, or Beggar Clan's Xie Feng'...meaning that he thought he was superior to Zuo Lengchan.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!