Thread: US bases staying in Okinawa

Default US bases staying in Okinawa

Officials from a Japanese island have rejected the prime minister's proposal that they host US troops relocated from an unpopular base in Okinawa.
    The move by the mayors of Tokunoshima is a further blow to PM Yukio Hatoyama's effort to deal with the controversial Futenma US marine base.

Source: BBC News
    The current government seems as incompetent and spineless as the previous one. If you cannot even fulfill even half of a promise, then don't bother making it in the first place because it will have serious political consequences.

And their options were always going to be non-Japanese areas... So the Ryukyu islands and its people are going to continue sucking it up for the Japanese no matter what.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Hatoyama's poll numbers are going down. This was something he had promised to stand up to the Americans on and he's had to bend like every PM before him. And now, Hatoyama's poll numbers just went down another 9 points because he wore a 1980's/90's era shirt.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100513...20100513112958

That's to be expected. He shouldn't be making promises he knew he couldn't fulfill (but then again this behaviour isn't limited to him so it's not very surprising), and then acting as though Okinawa is stupid and selfish.

Hatoyama got into power by promising that power will lie in the hands of the politicians and local governments and not the bureaucrats. While I have nothing but admiration for a politician that's willing to accept this kind of responsibility for breaking his campaign promises, 4 PM's in 4 years assures that power will continue to lie in the hands of non-elected government bureaucrats instead of elected politicians and ergo, the people. Is there no strong leader in Japan right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Hatoyama got into power by promising that power will lie in the hands of the politicians and local governments and not the bureaucrats. While I have nothing but admiration for a politician that's willing to accept this kind of responsibility for breaking his campaign promises, 4 PM's in 4 years assures that power will continue to lie in the hands of non-elected government bureaucrats instead of elected politicians and ergo, the people. Is there no strong leader in Japan right now?
    There are always good and strong leaders. But for some strange reasons they just don't get into powers... and the people don't know who they are.