Thread: Why didn't Lin Pingzhi team up with Linghu Chong to escape from Yue Buqun?

Default Why didn't Lin Pingzhi team up with Linghu Chong to escape from Yue Buqun?

In "State of Divinity", Lin Pingzhi wanted to get his revenge on Yu Canghai for his family's tragic death. He did so by joining Huashan Sect, and shortly after, by learning the Bixie Swordplay to exact his revenge on those who wronged him.

If I'm not wrong, Lin Pingzhi married Yue Lingshan with an ulterior motive. He wanted to prevent Yue Buqun from killing him after he obtained the Bixie Manuscript. However, why did he not escape from Huashan immediately and team up with someone he knew pretty well, his ex-senior, Linghu Chong?

Yes, I am well aware that at that point in time, Linghu Chong was infamous for being seen together with the Demonic Cult, and even suspected of stealing the Bixie Manuscript for himself, but Lin Pingzhi seemed aware that Linghu Chong was innocent of the crime in "State of Divinity 1996". In fact, he said so himself, to Yue Lingshan, that Linghu Chong had so many other opportunities to steal the Manuscript if he really wanted to. The fact that he didn't do so, and instead "chose" an unwise time to do so, proved his innocence in Lin Pingzhi's eyes.

I might have misunderstood something, however. It's been ages since I last read the novel, and I'm currently rewatching "State of Divinity 1996", and this kept bothering me.
    Last edited by steer2justice; 05-15-10 at 05:11 AM.

I guess it's because he stopped trusting people, especially after he found out about Yue Buqun. He couldn't trust people anymore.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I guess it's because he stopped trusting people, especially after he found out about Yue Buqun. He couldn't trust people anymore.
    I guess so. However, he seemed to be on good terms with Linghu Chong at first, especially seeing that Linghu Chong was the one who told him his father's last words. If I were Lin Pingzhi, I'd be more inclined to trust him.

And the very fact that Linghu Chong didn't take the Manuscript for himself would be hard evidence that he was, in fact, a trustworthy and chivalrous man despite the rumors about him, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by steer2justice View Post
    I guess so. However, he seemed to be on good terms with Linghu Chong at first, especially seeing that Linghu Chong was the one who told him his father's last words. If I were Lin Pingzhi, I'd be more inclined to trust him.

And the very fact that Linghu Chong didn't take the Manuscript for himself would be hard evidence that he was, in fact, a trustworthy and chivalrous man despite the rumors about him, yes?
    The capacity/capability of trust in Lin Pingzhi would have virtually collapsed by then. He had become a different person from what he used to be. When you lose all trust or faith in anyone in the world, you would take any form of positivity with a pinch of salt at the maximum. No more than that.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 05-15-10 at 10:34 AM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Lin Pingzhi received alot of harassment from his seniors because Lingshan had feelings for him. Who knows how he might interpret that.
    Also, it doesn't seem feasible, to look for someone who's location is all over the place. And castration does affect his behaviour and his cognition. Who knows what his thinking would be like?

Lin Pingzhi is the stupidest guy in the novel. He could have a great life with LingShan but he chose to castrate himself. What a stupid guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Lin Pingzhi is the stupidest guy in the novel. He could have a great life with LingShan but he chose to castrate himself. What a stupid guy.
    Not everyone is like Ren Woxing, you know, smart enough to know that castration for the sake of martial arts is stupid.

Good points raised by everyone here so far. I guess Lin Pingzhi just became paranoid and unable to trust anyone, thus marrying Yue Lingshan for show. However, the idea that Lin Pingzhi hated Linghu Chong because he was harassed by the seniors does seem a little... off.

I mean, yeah, Lu Hou'er did dislike Lin Pingzhi and all that, but I never really did have the impression that Linghu Chong and Lin Pingzhi didn't like each other. I do think that castration, at least in Jinyong's "State of Divinity", affects one's cognitive abilities... so yeah.

I just got the feeling LPZ was reserved around LHC, especially during his puppy dog romance with Lingshan while they went touring, while LHC was in his month long half dead drunken stupor. Seems a bit of a stretch to outright expose yourself to danger for someone's help that you can't be comfortable around, let alone get along with.

I also don't think LPZ is the kind of person that goes around looking for people to ingratiate himself to. He's proud, though sometimes doubtful of his family arts. His first quest was to seek refuge with his family, he only looked to Mu Gaofeng and Yue Buqun for protection because it was convenient. A rich merchant's son, I feel he is quite proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I just got the feeling LPZ was reserved around LHC, especially during his puppy dog romance with Lingshan while they went touring, while LHC was in his month long half dead drunken stupor. Seems a bit of a stretch to outright expose yourself to danger for someone's help that you can't be comfortable around, let alone get along with.

I also don't think LPZ is the kind of person that goes around looking for people to ingratiate himself to. He's proud, though sometimes doubtful of his family arts. His first quest was to seek refuge with his family, he only looked to Mu Gaofeng and Yue Buqun for protection because it was convenient. A rich merchant's son, I feel he is quite proud.
    I got the idea that Lin Pingzhi was reserved around everyone, including Yue Lingshan before they got really close. He didn't seem to be enjoy being a student of Huashan Sect, and it seemed like he was only there because Yue Buqun seemed to be able to help him get his revenge against Mu Gaofeng and Yu Canghai.

I do agree with your views that Lin Pingzhi is proud of himself and his heritage. I guess growing up in a rich family and having not experienced any setbacks in life before the fateful day where he murdered that Qingcheng guy can do that to you.

But that begs the question. Why did Lin Pingzhi become so vicious towards Linghu Chong later in the novel? Even Linghu Chong was curious about this fact, seeing that they have no grudges against each other.

At that point, he probably lost faith in everyone. Added with the hormonal imbalance or castration, and a revenge scheme that he's dedicated his whole life to.

Quote Originally Posted by steer2justice View Post
    But that begs the question. Why did Lin Pingzhi become so vicious towards Linghu Chong later in the novel? Even Linghu Chong was curious about this fact, seeing that they have no grudges against each other.
    Jealousy did its magic.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Jealousy did its magic.
    What was he jealous about? Linghu Chong's super sword skills that came out of nowhere, or his devotion to Yue Lingshan?

Super sword skills without having to chop his dick off.

Mighty high status in wulin - getting respect from many top guns.

Much hotter & cooler girlfriend.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

That little stunt LHC pulled by doing a 'sword dance' in the duel with YLS and using their 'Chong-Ling Sword Art' sure as hell didn't make things better either...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Another factor, in addition to the above mentioned facts about LPZ not 'thinking properly', was that after he learnt Bi Xie Jian Fa, he was pretty cocky of his own ability and probably thought that he could handle everything with his precious family kung-fu.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Well, I concede to the first point. It's hard learning Bixie Swordplay when you have to castrate yourself. Firstly, it must be painful to chop off your balls. Secondly, well, you aren't exactly a man any longer.

Still, the mighty high status in wulin thing is pretty subjective. Sure, Linghu Chong had friends all over the places. From highly respected, masters of orthodox schools of martial arts like Abbot Fangsheng and Priest Chongxu, to "demonic" people like Xiang Wentian and Ren Woxing (although it's highly debatable how much Ren Woxing actually regarded him as a friend), but he had gained a reputation of being a troublemaker and being a master of a group full of nuns isn't really all that flattering either. I would hardly call that having a high status in wulin. Most people would probably be laughing at him, if anything.

And I don't think Lin Pingzhi liked Ren Yingying at all. Not. One. Bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    That little stunt LHC pulled by doing a 'sword dance' in the duel with YLS and using their 'Chong-Ling Sword Art' sure as hell didn't make things better either...
    That made sense. I'd be jealous myself if I were Lin Pingzhi. However, didn't he marry her for the sake of survival, and not have any feelings towards her? I don't think that would warrant jealousy, seeing that he didn't really love her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Another factor, in addition to the above mentioned facts about LPZ not 'thinking properly', was that after he learnt Bi Xie Jian Fa, he was pretty cocky of his own ability and probably thought that he could handle everything with his precious family kung-fu.
    Yeah, he seemed to have become pretty arrogant and ambitious after gaining the Bixie Swordplay. If I'm not wrong, he thought he was invincible after that, which I can hardly fault him for thinking like that. He did slaughter Mu Gaofeng and the Qingcheng cronies pretty easily with his Swordplay.

The point is, nobody cares about who LPZ is, but everyone talks about LHC & his exploits.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

LPZ originally had good feelings about LHC, but because he was anxious to find his family manual, he couldn't help but suspect LHC since even YBQ began to suspect him. it was because of his bitter fate that he began to resent LHC for his good fortune. LHC had a huge number of people appear to help him when he was injured. he had learnt an incredible swordplay and gained fame and he even became the leader of a sect. LPZ had to become an eunuch to get revenge and was unable to be with the woman he loved. he was constantly under the treat of death.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I agree with that!