Thread: Student dies after kiosk workers refuse to help,lend him their fire extinguisher

Default Student dies after kiosk workers refuse to help,lend him their fire extinguisher

Student dies after kiosk workers refuse to help

KUALA LUMPUR: A man’s desperate attempt to save a woman from her burning car was in vain because petrol kiosk attendants refused to lend him their fire extinguishers despite his pleadings.
    The tragic 3.30am incident yesterday happened after an accident involving the woman’s Perodua Myvi, a couple’s Toyota Vios and a lorry with two men.
    The accident, on the flyover along Jalan Cheras near Jalan Loke Yew, caused the Myvi to catch fire.

Grim aftermath: The burnt car after the accident in Cheras early yesterday morning

Among the earliest to arrive on the scene was 31-year-old Teo Chai Yong.

He was on the phone with the emergency hotline operator when he heard the frightened screams of “Tolong! Tolong! Help me!” from a woman in a Myvi. Sparks flew from under the car.

Teo quickly drove to the nearest 24-hour petrol station, less than 500m away, hoping to find a fire extinguisher.

“As I ran up to the paying counter, I saw four fire extinguishers behind the glass door. An attendant was on the other side.

“I pleaded with him to let me have the fire extinguisher and screamed that someone was pinned inside a burning car.

“But he just stared at me and kept saying he was not allowed to open the door after hours,” Teo said.

In desperation, Teo even offered to buy the extinguishers and showed the attendant his identity card.

Shortly, a second attendant showed up beside the first man and told Teo to call the fire department if there was a fire.

In frustation, Teo rushed back to the accident scene, only to see the car, with the woman still inside, engulfed in flames.

“She was still screaming but I could do nothing. I just stood there, her screams grew more frantic before fading away,” he said in a telephone interview.

BH Petrol’s managing director Tan Kim Thiam, when contacted, expressed regret over the incident at one of their petrol stations.

He said robberies were common in those hours.

“The staff were concerned and did not respond to the request as they could not see the accident,” said Tan, who declined to comment further.

City traffic police investigations chief Deputy Supt Abdullah Roning said the woman was burnt beyond recognition and her personal identification documents were also lost in the fire.

“We believe she was a 27-year-old college student from Sarawak,” said the city police prosecution division head.

The driver of the Toyota Vios and his girlfriend were also seriously injured and were rushed to Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia here.

The case is being investigated under Section 41 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless or dangerous driving.

Link
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...033&sec=nation

Those people are... really something. >_>

“The staff were concerned and did not respond to the request as they could not see the accident,” said Tan, who declined to comment further.
    Nonsense. Why didn't at least one of them go check out.

The kiosk attendants should be charged with manslaughter or something. >_>
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post

Criminal negligence resulting in death, most likely.

WoW. I mean. Wow.

That was just a serious case of the long term consequences of human micro-management and an inability to instill human empathy in today's societies. However, the wise thing to do would have been to call the fire department immediately instead of trying to extinguish the fire yourself.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    That was just a serious case of the long term consequences of human micro-management and an inability to instill human empathy in today's societies.
    And an inability to think for themselves. They just follow orders.

But, crimes and robberies can make people lose sympathy for self-preservation sake. In the days where people can pretend to have a flat tyre and when you go help they rob you, how can anyone not be wary of extending a helping hand?
    Last edited by kidd; 06-05-10 at 12:21 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

So easy to point fingers. How many of you would really open your doors at 3:30 in the morning to a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    So easy to point fingers. How many of you would really open your doors at 3:30 in the morning to a stranger.
    Tell that guy to step back 6 feet and lay on the ground. Get my other co-worker to stand guard while I open the door and roll the fire extinguisher outside. I'd be brave enough to do that!
    I like me.

That is quick thinking. Probably the safest way to approach it, even if you suspect he might have an accomplice hiding somewhere.
    I'd still be suspicious about a car fire somewhere nearby when I can't see it from where I am. And explaining to my boss later why I broke the rules.
    What was the response from the fire brigade anyway. How much later did they arrive?

The story from the horse's mouth.

http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/....php?p=1452872

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post

now thats seriously too harsh. considering that the guy needs to drive to the scene, its possible that the kiosk attendants are doubting the story, and didnt have enough kindness left to help in the first place.

and unhelpful people are becoming a NORM in society. in fact whenever an accident happens (severe or not) ~ i rarely see anyone rushing to aid (note i said 'see'....goes to say where i stand when it comes to potentially 'difficult' tasks); you get more spectators, and even a few paparazzi-wannabes that snap pictures; but saving?

seriously very few.

if such behavior warrants a manslaughter, i think 90% of the population would be locked up soon enough.

the attendants probably cannot think for themselves, nor is willing to risk their jobs (even if it means saving others life)

much as our heroic hearts sitting here condemned the actions of the bhp attendants, but what if your helping someone means you're putting yourself at some sort of risk (maybe not your life but something important to you as well)

the fellow who wanted to do all to helped the girl is indeed a hero with commendable attitude. but most fellow human beings dont behave like that T_T unfortunately.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

I will say this is the most tragic unfortunate situation. base on the report I also can't blame the kiosk attendant, the article looks very bias to put blame on the kiosk attendant in the title! the kiosk attendant had nothing to do with the fire!

to be fair, this maybe the fail of the guy who try to help. he must able to think more creative and not rely on using fire extinguisher that possitively not go on his hand. but again, we can't blame the only hero in the scene.

unfortunate, and if the similar scene happening in Singapore, maybe he will get the fire extinguisher in a minute. which raise simple assumption that the reason about security in 3.30pm is probably true. sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bei Rongkun View Post
    I will say this is the most tragic unfortunate situation. base on the report I also can't blame the kiosk attendant, the article looks very bias to put blame on the kiosk attendant in the title! the kiosk attendant had nothing to do with the fire!

to be fair, this maybe the fail of the guy who try to help. he must able to think more creative and not rely on using fire extinguisher that possitively not go on his hand. but again, we can't blame the only hero in the scene.

unfortunate, and if the similar scene happening in Singapore, maybe he will get the fire extinguisher in a minute. which raise simple assumption that the reason about security in 3.30pm is probably true. sad.
    The guy already did all he can. Read his account in the link I posted. He already immediately phoned the police and fire department. He phoned while going to get help. How much more creatively do you want him think in this situation. It's not like he was trained to prepare for such incident.

I don't put the blame solely on the attendants either since there are many incidents of petrol kiosk being robbed and petrol kiosk attendants being attacked. Can't blame them for being extra cautious seeing that they have past experience of being attacked before while on duty (according to BHP manager).

But, to put the blame on the guy who are trying to help instead? That's like the other extreme liao.

kidd, i am not putting blame on the helper guy. i use a word 'fail', he got crucial mission, but failed, sadly. but really, as you pointed out he can't be blame at all, the same to the kiosk attendant that far from the scene. if I want to dig in, maybe the communication between the helper and that kiosk attendant is crucial point.

unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    [B]

BH Petrol’s managing director Tan Kim Thiam, when contacted, expressed regret over the incident at one of their petrol stations.

Link
    http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...033&sec=nation

yeah, i don't blame the BHP workers. they couldn't see the fire and were instructed to not open doors after closing, they did their job. when did doing your job become manslaughter?