Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taiwan pulls movies from Shanghai Film Festival

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    LOL!

Do the people who post here know how to debate without making ad hominem attacks? What's the worst is that Trien Chieu hasn't even posted in this thread and there's already ad hominem statements against him: where's the Moderator action against this kind of random personal attacks?
    You're complaining that others can't debate when you're behaving like a whiner, making posts about how much you love Taiwan (repeat telecast)?

What kind of debate are you expecting when you're posting a link with simply a one liner then follow-up with your whinings AND don't even have the courtesy of answering GX's question which IS ON TOPIC???

And now you're crying for MOM and DAD because you incapable of replying to follow-up posts?

I'm sure the moddies are shaking their heads on you too.

P/s: This is not an OD thread btw. So, we have the FREEDOM to debate or simply post our views. I used to think you're quite a sensible poster. Why do you have to prove me WRONG?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 06-14-10 at 12:30 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    You're complaining that others can't debate when you're behaving like a whiner, making posts about how much you love Taiwan (repeat telecast)?

What kind of debate are you expecting when you're posting a link with simply a one liner then follow-up with your whinings AND don't even have the courtesy of answering GX's question which IS ON TOPIC???

And now you're crying for MOM and DAD because you incapable of replying to follow-up posts?

I'm sure the moddies are shaking their heads on you too.

P/s: This is not an OD thread btw. So, we have the FREEDOM to debate to simply post our views.
    LOL! Mom and Dad, that's a good one, yo.

Read my post again, dude.

If China were to one day say that Singapore is a part of China, how would Singaporeans react?

Quote Originally Posted by pemberly View Post
    how is admiring one's tenacity and unwavering determination a personal attack?
    When it's sarcasm and not actual admiration?
    Last edited by Dirt; 06-14-10 at 12:37 PM.

LOL! Mom and Dad, that's a good one, yo.

Read my post again, dude.

If China were to one day say that Singapore is a part of China, how would Singaporeans react?
    Logically speaking, the map shows that we're not very near to China... And, if distance is not a problem for them to claim we're part of them, I'm sure I would join the lots of other locals to protest.

Anyway, our mother-tongue is Malay, even if the Chinese lot allow that to happen, the locals from other races may show their middle finger and refused to be part of China. China may have to go through Malaysia for that.

What's all that have anything to do with your subject, BTW? You're leading your own thread to something else.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 06-14-10 at 12:43 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Well, by then, we'll see. Right now, I can't comprehend because our mother-tongue is Malay. Even if the Chinese allow that to happen, the other races may show their middle finger and refused to be part of China.
    The majority of Singaporeans are Chinese at ~74%. Are you Chinese?

China may have to go through Malaysia for that.
    Malaysia versus the CCP. I can already guess who has the upper hand.
    Last edited by Dirt; 06-14-10 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    From what I've seen, in Taiwan itself, this view is more disproportionately held by those who have had little exposure to the outside world/mainland China; the more educated a person and/or the more exposure they have to the outside world, the less likely they seem to be to hold these views. Lots of taxi drivers in Taipei seemed to subscribe to that view; none of the international businessmen I spoke with seemed to hold much, if any prejudice.
    I say again: elitism? Look in the mirror.

Well, that and a certain aura of superiority/disdain with which certain Taiwanese in Taiwan proper treat those who speak with a mainland accent.
    Only the dumb, uneducated taxi drivers, not the smart, well educated college people like you, right? Dude, you can't even hide your disdain for those who disagree with you on this subject. You can't even hide your own elitist prejudice.
    Last edited by Dirt; 06-14-10 at 01:40 PM.

The majority of Singaporeans are Chinese at ~74%.
    That's just the percentage. Don't be fooled by the number. Most of the Chinese are "foreign imports". You may see an Indian boy with chinese name - Hey, according to law, they call him a Chinese too!

We were apart of Malaysia. Unless CCP starts a "Chinese occupation" to take over us, our history is clearly telling CCP that they have no business here and we will turn down their proposal to "wed" with Singapore to become one. Also, the local Chinese are one of a kind, so don't be mistaken that because there are more Chinese in here hence, CCP could easily own us.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 06-14-10 at 01:58 PM.

The majority of Singaporeans are Chinese at ~74%. Are you Chinese?

Sorry to burst your bubble. CCP has no right over Singapore be it historically or geographically, unlike Taiwan who once belongs to China. Heck, Taiwan even call themselves 'Republic of China'.

CCP can't declare Singapore is theirs because they have no basis for it. Historical and geographically, Malaysia has more claim over Singapore than CCP. Heck, even British has more claim over Singapore than CCP since British ruled it once upon a time.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-14-10 at 10:04 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I say again: elitism? Look in the mirror.

Only the dumb, uneducated taxi drivers, not the smart, well educated college people like you, right? Dude, you can't even hide your disdain for those who disagree with you on this subject. You can't even hide your own elitist prejudice.
    Actually, yes. I've seen many taxi drivers express those prejudices; I've seen very few businessmen do the same. I've heard bargirls/blue collar workers pull their noses up or act superior upon hearing a mainland Chinese accent; none of the educated people I have spoken to have acted in such a way.

Prejudice, as a rule, does tend to be found more often in the undereducated and/or ignorant. This goes for most types of prejudice, be it on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or yes, spoken accent; similar parallels can be found in the U.S. as well (with accented English). And yes; I hold the utmost disdain for people who 'disagree' with me on the 'subject' that one shouldn't be prejudiced against someone on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or accent.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

PS: The Taiwanese government, U.S. government, AND the Chinese government all agree that Taiwan and China are one country. The only person disagreeing is you. On the other side, nobody has ever claimed or suggested that Singapore is or should be part of China. False, strawman argument.

Lastly, here's a hint; if people from mainland China, Malaysia, Singapore, and the U.S. are ALL disagreeing with you, maybe it's not everyone else that has the problem, but you.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 06-14-10 at 10:16 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Actually, yes. I've seen many taxi drivers express those prejudices; I've seen very few businessmen do the same. I've heard bargirls/blue collar workers pull their noses up or act superior upon hearing a mainland Chinese accent; none of the educated people I have spoken to have acted in such a way.

Prejudice, as a rule, does tend to be found more often in the undereducated and/or ignorant. This goes for most types of prejudice, be it on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or yes, spoken accent; similar parallels can be found in the U.S. as well (with accented English). And yes; I hold the utmost disdain for people who 'disagree' with me on the 'subject' that one shouldn't be prejudiced against someone on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or accent.
    You're not even ashamed of being a bigot. Prejudice found in undereducated/ignorant places? Where's your proof? Most bigotry comes from economic factors, not education. My proof is in how Chinese people were treated when they first immigrated to the USA in the 19th century; that's something that is now being played out in the State of Arizona against Mexicans. I'm quite sure that the people who passed the AZ law are all quite well educated; at least as much as any other lawmaker in the USA. But based on your premise, AZ and its lawmakers must be a bunch of uneducated hicks.

And you're right, religion is also a huge source of prejudice. Who are the biggest opponents of gay marriage? Yup, you guessed it, the religious folk; their belief system is what makes them bigots like you, not their level of education.

PS: The Taiwanese government, U.S. government, AND the Chinese government all agree that Taiwan and China are one country. The only person disagreeing is you. On the other side, nobody has ever claimed or suggested that Singapore is or should be part of China. False, strawman argument.
    P.S. The KMT considers Taiwan and the Mainland as both being "China", as does the USA. The DPP considers things differently and that's important because, unlike in the Mainland, the DPP has the ability and the opportunity to change Taiwan's government and politics. That's something that can also happen in the USA and the USA supports fully Taiwan's Democracy, as do I.

Lastly, here's a hint; if people from mainland China, Malaysia, Singapore, and the U.S. are ALL disagreeing with you, maybe it's not everyone else that has the problem, but you.
    People in the U.S. who are from Mainland China disagree with me, WOW, BIG surprise. And riddle me this Singaporeans: your country pays lip service to the One China policy, but Singapore as a country often conducts military exercises in Taiwan and get's training from Taiwan, not from Mainland China. Why?

Resistance is futile: Singapore, China.
    Last edited by Dirt; 06-15-10 at 01:41 PM.

People in the U.S. who are from Mainland China disagree with me, WOW, BIG surprise. And riddle me this Singaporeans: your country pays lip service to the One China policy, but Singapore as a country often conducts military exercises in Taiwan and get's training from Taiwan, not from Mainland China. Why?

Contrary to popular belief, Singapore never established formal diplomatic relations with the Taiwan. Singapore maintained, or at least tries to position itself as a neutral party to both sides.

Taiwan and Singapore DO NOT have joint military drills or receive training from each other. Taiwan merely provides training areas for Singapore's military exercises (that NEVER involves Taiwan's military). Singapore pays for the logistics and supplies consumed by its troops.

The training area assistance is an arrangement that has been in place since the 1970s.

If you are unhappy about that, you may lodge an official complaint with Taiwan and Singapore's military ministries.

Ministry of National Defense (Taiwan)
    (+886) 2-2311-6117
    No. 164. Bo'ai Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City10048, Taiwan

Ministry of Defence (Singapore)
    [email protected]

About training with China, here it is:
    http://china-defense.blogspot.com/20...t-jian-10.html

COOPERATION 2009 marks the first bilateral training exercise between the SAF and the PLA, and underscores the progress made in the defence relationship between Singapore and China following the signing of the bilateral Agreement on Defence Exchanges and Security Cooperation in January 2008.
    Resistance is futile: Taiwan, China.$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www2.dijon.inra.fr/mychintec/General/chinese_flag.gif')
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 06-15-10 at 09:15 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

What does this have to do with the fact that China has no claim over Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    What does this have to do with the fact that China has no claim over Singapore?
    I don't think it really has to do with that. More like Dirt has a thing against Singapore when it comes to his China-Taiwan issue:

"your country pays lip service to the One China policy"

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    "your country pays lip service to the One China policy"
    Singapore did so?

Singapore did so?
    Singapore's official stance is to support the One-China policy. Whether it is lip service or not is known only to our government officials.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 06-15-10 at 09:17 PM.

You're not even ashamed of being a bigot. Prejudice found in undereducated/ignorant places? Where's your proof?
    prejudice n. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

It's in the definition of that word itself itself, ya idjit.

And no, I'm not ashamed of being bigoted against ignorant bigots who are prejudiced against people because of their accent; unfortunately, in your rush to be rabidly ra-ra-ra Taiwan and anti-mainland China about everything (including Taiwanese bigoted against mainland Chinese because of their accent), you rant and rant that that is a shameful thing.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that if you asked people in this thread about China doing a military 'take-over' of Taiwan, pretty much everyone, including me, would be very strongly against it. Nobody here is rabidly pro-China or anti-Taiwan, and I think most people (at least speaking for myself) are perfectly happy with Taiwan continuing to have its own separate governance, etc.; nobody here has said they want a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. But you repetitively rant enough that you annoy and/or piss off even people who agree with you on the issues. Those rants of yours are just another reason why almost no one on this forum has much respect for you at all. And that's not an insult; that's just the truth. Ask around.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 06-15-10 at 09:43 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I don't think this case if pulling out from the Festival is due to elitism though. It's making a statement of independence and resistance to bullying.

CCP did act like a big bully aiming those missiles at Taiwan and making on and off missile practice to remind Taiwan of the threat. Doesn't matter that CCP will actually do it or not. When someone is constantly holding a threat against you to remind you to toe the line or don't go too far, you will get indignant sooner or later. I know some Taiwanese do feel this way.

But then, CCP has no choice but to do that. Getting back Taiwan is like their party mission. The current Chairman must follow-up on this mission.

Anyway, agree with Ren Wo Xing too that Taiwan has practically been acting like a independent country so far. Just officially, it isn't.

I don't think this case if pulling out from the Festival is due to elitism though. It's making a statement of independence and resistance to bullying.
    I think it is only natural for Taiwan to do that as their defensive move. And, I thought he could have mentioned this point in his first post instead of leading all of us to debate about something else...?

If, someday, Singapore were to turn into a Muslim country, historically, geographically and culturally, there are still some logic. You don't know Singapore well enough. And, by judging from the percentage of Chinese, you've just been fooled by our local government. Our president is an Indian, if you don't even know....? Even a handful of the government are Peranakans (Point being: draw your attention to see the difference between a China National-Chinese and Singaporean-Chinese).

Your mentality in this one-liner is simply implying this: "someone with longhair MUST BE a FEMALE" (forgetting the fact that some guys keep longhair too).
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 06-15-10 at 11:58 PM.

I think it is only natural for Taiwan to do that as their defensive move. And, I thought he could have mentioned this point in his first post instead of leading all of us to debate about something else...?
    Knowing his stand, I thought you guys would guess it from the start. Or maybe you didn't pay attention to who started the topic.

If, someday, Singapore were to turn into a Muslim country, it is historically, geographically and culturally, there is still some logic. You don't know Singapore well enough. And, by judging from the percentage of Chinese, you've just been fooled by our local government. Our president is an Indian, if you don't even know....? Even a handful of the government are Peranakans.
    Not to mention that your national anthem is in malay?