Thread: The Green Hornet

Default The Green Hornet

Anyone going to watch this movie?

I used to watch The Green Hornet series starring Van Williams and Bruce Lee as a kid when it was aired on TV. I don't remember most of the series but, still have fond feelings towards it. So, I'm looking forward to this movie.

The new version starred Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet and Jay Chou as Kato.

I know this version will be different from the series since this movie is a comedy while the series was not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gre...et_(2011_film)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0990407/

The Green Hornet trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3eI-03OtU

There will also be a 3D version of the movie. Why is every movie going 3D now?
    Last edited by kidd; 06-25-10 at 12:38 AM. Reason: add trailer link
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I wanna watch this movie! I just watched the trailer a couple of days ago and it was so funny! Obviously, Jay is the cooler and suaver character compared to Seth Rogan LoL and his English is sexy! I'm quite surprised since it doesn't sound at all "fobbish". I didn't watch the original so I won't be comparing Jay to Bruce Lee like some people have already started to do despite the movie not having yet been shown in theaters.

Jay's awesome. He's probably already more famous than Seth Rogan though he's the sidekick. I haven't watched any Seth Rogan movies because I don't like that sense of humor, but I'll be watching "Green Hornet" for Jay...I bet you that's what the producers are hoping to bank on!
    I like me.

Yes, I do think the producers are banking on Jay Chou to bring in audience for the international/asian market.

The US market will depend more on Seth Rogan. If you read comments in imdb, you can see that more people know Seth than Jay in there.

Comparisons are bound to happen for every remake or book/comic adaptation. It's just the norm.

But, it's kinda asking the impossible if they want Jay to be like Bruce Lee. How many can match up with Bruce Lee martial art wise? For me, I'll just watch it for the new interpretation. Haha, I don't remember much of what Bruce Lee's Kato is like anyway. Too young. I only remember he's a good fighter and he also wears a Green Hornet like his master Britt Reid.

Btw, this movie was originally supposed to be directed and acted by Stephen Chow. But, due to scheduling conflict, Stephen back out of the project. The original casting choice for Kato was Stephen Chow.

I wonder how the movie would be like if directed by Stephen. But, I don't think I would like the movie with Kungfu Hustle kind of humour. I don't. It works for a HK comedy, but, I don't think it will work as well in an english comedy.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-25-10 at 06:32 AM.

Sometimes I think HK humor is just so exclusive to it's own citizens. It's like it's a big inside joke when watching the old Stephen Chow comedies. I'm glad he's not in Green Hornet honestly. I like Stephen, but the chemistry between two young men around the same age seem more fitting for a fresh feel...granted most of the Western audiences won't know Stephen.
    I like me.

I loved the crossover episode between THE GREEN HORNET and BATMAN during the 1960s. Kato (Bruce Lee) beat the crap out of Robin (Burt Ward).

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Sometimes I think HK humor is just so exclusive to it's own citizens. It's like it's a big inside joke when watching the old Stephen Chow comedies. I'm glad he's not in Green Hornet honestly. I like Stephen, but the chemistry between two young men around the same age seem more fitting for a fresh feel...granted most of the Western audiences won't know Stephen.
    I think the Western audience know Stephen more than Jay because of Shaolin Soccer and Kungfu Hustle. These 2 movies has been aired in the US, right?

One thing I notice. In the Green Hornet page in imdb, when people talk about Jay, no one mention 'Curse of the Golden Flower'. Someone mention Initial D, while others just said he's a singer and huge in Asia. I guess they don't recognise him in 'Curse of Golden Flower'.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-25-10 at 12:37 AM.

Is stephen chow directing this movie?
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Jay's awesome. He's probably already more famous than Seth Rogan though he's the sidekick. I haven't watched any Seth Rogan movies because I don't like that sense of humor, but I'll be watching "Green Hornet" for Jay...I bet you that's what the producers are hoping to bank on!
    Uh, when you mean more famous, you mean in Asia right? Because the rest of the world are probably more familiar with Seth Rogen.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I think the Western audience know Stephen more than Jay because of Shaolin Soccer and Kungfu Hustle. These 2 movies has been aired in the US, right?
    I believe those two movies were shown in North America but very few have seen it. The few North Americans who watch Asian cinema should know Stephen Show more than Jay Chou.

One thing I notice. In the Green Hornet page in imdb, when people talk about Jay, no one mention 'Curse of the Golden Flower'. Someone mention Initial D, while others just said he's a singer and huge in Asia. I guess they don't recognise him in 'Curse of Golden Flower'.
    You sound as though Curse of Golden Flower is very popular. It is not so of course most don't recognize him period.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    You sound as though Curse of Golden Flower is very popular. It is not so of course most don't recognize him period.
    I certainly did not mean that. 'Curse of the Golden Flower' is meant or international release. Those Zhang Yimou's recently films are made to cater to Western audience. So, I have the impression that these big budget Zhang Yimou's movies would be more known to western audience than a movie like 'Initial D' or 'The Secret'. If you look at imdb messageboard, 'Curse of Golden Flower' has way more messages than 'Initial D' or 'The Secret' or other not made for western audience film. That's why I was surprised that no one 'Curse of the Golden Flower'. I had thought that 'Curse' would have at least been aired in some cinemas in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Is stephen chow directing this movie?
    Not anymore. Initial plan was him going to direct. But, he's not free. So, another person directed the movie.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-25-10 at 05:03 AM.

What constitutes as the rest of the world? Just the USA? I meant famous as in statistics i.e. number of fans. Maybe I lived in Asia for too long so actually I don't recognize Seth Rogan 'cept until some American kids stayed in my house and insisted that I watch some overweight blonde guy on MY television screen...that was embittering to say the least since I rarely watch American movies. I also don't possess the kind of sense of humor that would endear Rogan or his movies to me. To his credit, he's lost a lot of weight since I've last seen him, possibly for Green Hornet?

I certainly did not mean that. 'Curse of the Golden Flower' is meant or international release. Those Zhang Yimou's recently films are made to cater to Western audience. So, I have the impression that these big budget Zhang Yimou's movies would be more known to western audience than a movie like 'Initial D' or 'The Secret'. If you look at imdb messageboard, 'Curse of Golden Flower' has way more messages than 'Initial D' or 'The Secret' or other not made for western audience film. That's why I was surprised that no one 'Curse of the Golden Flower'. I had thought that 'Curse' would have at least been aired in some cinemas in the US.
    I don't believe that's an incorrect impression. I think the people on the IMDB Green Hornet are giving you the wrong impression. LoL. I love IMDB but sometimes the people there are just...::at a lost for words::.. I think that "Curse" got selective screening for some areas. Well, I'm in the DC Area and we get a lot of international and indie films specifically where I'm located. I think I heard that on the West Coast it's different? I remember I had an argument with "that West Coast girl" over whether "Pan's Labyrinth" was an independent film or not. It was quite popular where I'm from but where she was it could only be found in select theaters. Well...I should have known better, she was just pretending to be cultured anyway...but I digress. I think Initial D, as far as the fan following for the original, was quite popular. All the teenagers and young adults I know went to see it. I thought Curse of the Golden Flower was good and would've been popular but I had to "introduce" it to some folks. Maybe it's the goatee as to why people don't recognize Jay from "Curse"??

I didn't know people knew Stephen Chow more than Jay Chou! I'm surprised...wow I've been gone for that long?
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I loved the crossover episode between THE GREEN HORNET and BATMAN during the 1960s. Kato (Bruce Lee) beat the crap out of Robin (Burt Ward).
    Here's the clips to bring you down memory lane.

The Green Hornet meets Batman.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/06/2...-green-hornet/

After watching some shot clip of the old Green Hornet, I find that in some scenes, especially the ones where he as his mask on, Bruce Lee did remind me of Jay Chou. I also read that, Jay Chou was chosen partly because he resembles Bruce Lee. I see the resemblance now.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-25-10 at 10:45 PM.

How on earth did Seth Rogan get the lead role? He has no charisma and he's not funny.

I'll watch it if I see it in the rental. Won't be going to cinemas for it though - unless at discount price on tuesdays.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly