Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humans to go extinct in 100 years, scientist predicts

Default Humans to go extinct in 100 years, scientist predicts

This guy sure in pessimistic. He's not only predicting human will extinct, he is very sure about it being irreversible. No way out. That's a very dim prospect of the future we have.

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/top-sto...mentid=4186050

Humans to go extinct in 100 years, scientist predicts

By Sebastian Loh, 6/29/2010

PhysOrg.com, an online science news service, reports that distinguished Australian scientist Professor Frank Fenner has predicted that humanity would likely meet its end within a century.

Fenner cited overpopulation, environmental destruction and climate change as the primary factors which will drive mankind into extinction.

Professor Fenner's voice is important and well-regarded because of his instrumental role in the global eradication of smallpox. He has had a life-long interest in environmental issues, and is a recipient of many illustrious awards, including the WHO (World Health Organization) medal.

Perhaps infinitely more worrisome is Fenner's confidence that the situation is irreversible. While there are currently efforts to grapple with those issues, he asserted that we are beyond the point of no-return due to the magnitude of these effects we have had on Earth since the Industrial Age. He said they have come to rival the impact of ice ages or comet crashes.

The professor noted that while climate change is only at its infancy, it will probably be the force behind our extinction. He also predicted that Earth's ever-increasing population will result in more violent conflicts over food and other resources.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

We might go extinct one day, but I don't think it will be within this century.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Climate change, blah blah blah, same old story.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Climate change, blah blah blah, same old story.
    I'm afraid there's a lack of creativity in that department.

This guy is an idiot making random prediction that he will never be accounted for because he will be long dead by then. We are not stupid like the dinosaurs were, we are intelligent and getting better everyday. The human race will last for billions and billions of years, if not trillions and trillions or eternal, and life expectancy will be skyrocket as science and technology are getting better and better everyday. Present is better than the past, future will be better than the present and so on...

Probably one of the silliest things I've read in a while, both the article and the post above mine.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    Probably one of the silliest things I've read in a while, both the article and the post above mine.
    The post (and poster) above you is a stark contrast to the original article (writer).

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    Random personal attack is cheap. If you think my comment is not true, can you prove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    We are not stupid like the dinosaurs were, we are intelligent and getting better everyday.
    oh. How do you know the dinosaurs were stupid? IIRC, in comparison to any other previous inhabitants of Earth, our species, is relatively young and has not survived long enough to allow such a succinct statement of our superiority.

Well, we'll all be dead anyway according to this guy's time line. We have 100 years. My cousin was just telling me that some other guy said that the world will end in 2012...that's just around the block. Now that's silly. I wouldn't have even started my PhD yet...I'm unwilling to believe it.

I just looked it up. Dinosaurs lived on Earth for about 185 million years while homo sapiens have only been around for about 100,000 years. Even the first verified hominid is believed to be only about 4.4 million years old. Neat-oh!
    Last edited by ByTmE; 06-30-10 at 12:07 AM.
    I like me.

Random personal attack is cheap. If you think my comment is not true, can you prove it?
    Your comments ignore some of the most fundamental aspects of human nature. Since the start of mankind, we've had occasions where we almost destroyed ourselves and that leaves little faith that humans can really survive for the longevity you predicted. That's one reason. Secondly, sure, science and technology are improving and bring certain benefits, but you blissfully ignore the potential damage the same technology also bring to the world. Part of the reasons why there are many problems with the world right now is due to technological advances. Lastly, none of your comments can be proved either. They're merely your flawed speculations.
    Also, I said your post was silly, that's barely an attack. Though it was not random. Man up.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Longer article with graph. He mentioned Easter Island as example. Easter Island did develop itself to extinction because of massive wiping out of forest for habitation and monument building. Very interesting piece of history.

http://thetechjournal.com/science/em...00-years.xhtml

This guy is an idiot making random prediction that he will never be accounted for because he will be long dead by then. [B]
    ---
    The human race will last for billions and billions of years, if not trillions and trillions or eternal, and life expectancy will be skyrocket as science and technology are getting better and better everyday.
    Oh snap?

WoW. Graphs sure make everything look so official and serious huh??? While the eminent Professor Fenner is "trying not to be pessimistic," he failed as far as this supposition of human extinction. Professor Fenner may be able to predict such a "logical conclusion" based upon our population explosion and unbridled consumption, but he is not accounting for human resolve. If humans are anything, then we are a hardy species.

Let us not forget the possibility of natural catastrophes or even man made disasters [god forbid] that may both contribute to lowering the human population if that's their beef. They cited The Black Plague on their chart. Who would dare say that there would not be another natural catastrophe with such serious consequences in the next hundred years? Like the oddly high occurrences [relatively speaking] of earthquakes, the tropical Asian tsunamis, volcanoes, or famines. How about our man made disasters? They seem to account for most of our biggest grievances and regrets in modern history...the things that we do to one another i.e. mass genocides, ethnic cleansing, and armed conflicts. Quite frankly, they're are not really flattering testaments to our brilliance as a species.

Maybe it's best we do not exist for trillions and trillions of years.
    I like me.

There might be stupid dinosaurs during those times..... and now, we have stupid human. The definition of stupid human can also refer to those who do not extend their thinking to analysis and realise the on-going problems and presume our human superior can kill every single fly.

Having said that, stupid human can save their own lives by thinking less and causing less problems, is the overly-intelligent (aka smart aleck) that falls to their death.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 06-30-10 at 12:49 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

This guy is an idiot making random prediction that he will never be accounted for because he will be long dead by then. We are not stupid like the dinosaurs were, we are intelligent and getting better everyday. The human race will last for billions and billions of years, if not trillions and trillions or eternal, and life expectancy will be skyrocket as science and technology are getting better and better everyday. Present is better than the past, future will be better than the present and so on...
    Human race won't last for eternity because the Earth won't last for eternity and neither would the Sun or any galaxy for that matter. Anyway, following evolution theory, trillion years from now (if the Earth has not died yet), there won't be homo sapiens anymore. We would have evolved into homo something else and that race will not look like us.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Human race won't last for eternity because the Earth won't last for eternity and neither would the Sun or any galaxy for that matter. Anyway, following evolution theory, trillion years from now (if the Earth has not died yet), there won't be homo sapiens anymore. We would have evolved into homo something else and that race will not look like us.
    Yeah.....

Then TC, maybe human will then evolved into dinosaurs..... and if your genes could dominate one of the dinos.... then maybe you'd be the best illustration a "stupid dinosaur" ..... LOL
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

The dinosaurs didn't get wiped out because they were stupid...so that's a moot point.

every few years, some random bloke will announced the end-of-the-world story, but hundreds and hundreds of years continue to slide by, and none of these predictions were true.

the day when we all stop believing such predictions might simply be the day we shall vanish. (thus fulfilling the saying that no-one-will-know-when-the-day-is)
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    oh. How do you know the dinosaurs were stupid? IIRC, in comparison to any other previous inhabitants of Earth, our species, is relatively young and has not survived long enough to allow such a succinct statement of our superiority.

I just looked it up. Dinosaurs lived on Earth for about 185 million years while homo sapiens have only been around for about 100,000 years. Even the first verified hominid is believed to be only about 4.4 million years old. Neat-oh!
    Dinosaurs lived on Earth for about 185 millions years, so what did dinosaurs build??? Nothing. Dinosaurs relied on nature 100% and killing each other for food. We only have a history of about 100,000 years, what have we build???

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    Let us not forget the possibility of natural catastrophes or even man made disasters [god forbid] that may both contribute to lowering the human population if that's their beef. They cited The Black Plague on their chart. Who would dare say that there would not be another natural catastrophe with such serious consequences in the next hundred years? Like the oddly high occurrences [relatively speaking] of earthquakes, the tropical Asian tsunamis, volcanoes, or famines. How about our man made disasters? They seem to account for most of our biggest grievances and regrets in modern history...the things that we do to one another i.e. mass genocides, ethnic cleansing, and armed conflicts. Quite frankly, they're are not really flattering testaments to our brilliance as a species.

Maybe it's best we do not exist for trillions and trillions of years.
    Natural disasters, wars, famines, genocides, and so on are part of life, but the human race as a whole will move on.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    By then, science and technology able to solve the problems. As for our look, most of the population will be mixed race, bigger, taller, and definitely live longer.

Very unlikely that ALL humans will go extinct.

unless Earth got engulfed by Sun, aliens attacking Earth. Can happen?