Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Slams Paul The Octopus For Spreading Western ‘Propaganda’

Default Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Slams Paul The Octopus For Spreading Western ‘Propaganda’

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Slams Paul The Octopus For Spreading Western ‘Propaganda

Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad isn’t exactly the most popular man in the Western world– understandable given his usual threatening bravado. It’s tough to go downhill from there, but it seems like Ahmadinejad will be darned if he doesn’t try: he’s now taken to attacking the single most popular personality of the Western world, Paul the Psychic Octopus. Paul, of course, is the beloved cephalopod of Oberhausen, Germany who won the hearts of the Spanish nation by predicting their World Cup victory and became an international superstar for predicting all seven German World Cup matches accurately. The international superstar has now been called out by the Iranian leader in a speech in Tehran over the weekend for his part is spreading Western propaganda and superstition.

This story has been making the rounds in the international media, but it seems the English-speaking media have dropped the ball on it, leaving us to rely on several foreign sources like Germany’s Bild (which nicknamed the leader “Ahmadine-schad”, or, according to online translators, “Ahmadine-harm”), Italy’s Corriere Della Sera, but, surprisingly, no media so far within Spain, Paul’s adoptive country. From Chile’s state-owned newspaper, La Nación (in the only language we can translate without Google):
    Paul was mentioned by Ahmadinejad on various occasions during a speech pronounced today [Saturday] in which he cited the octopus as an example of “methods of propaganda and superstitions” on the West. […]
    “Those who believe in this type of thing cannot be the leaders of the global nations that aspire, like Iran, to human perfection, basing themselves in the love of all sacred values,” Ahmadinejad said.
    Paul the Octopus could not be reached for comment, but one would imagine he isn’t seeing very good things in Ahmadinejad’s future right now.

The Link
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/mahmo...anda%E2%80%99/

Paul could be Jewish too ?

I think Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's words are just being twisted out of context.

What he really meant is, people who believe in superstition like Paul the Psychic cannot become good leaders for global nation.

Tha Abrahamic and one-God religion like Christianity and Islam (not sure about Jews) has always warn its followers against dabbling in the occult (which include tarot, Ouija board, and other forms for psychic activities and fortune telling), and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a very staunch Muslim as far as I know.

The western news is just trying to make him look stupid.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-28-10 at 11:03 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

*Facepalm*

Eh, he needs to have better things to talk about. Like, for anyone of remote power to talk about a freaking octopus is just silly.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Funny that someone who worships to an invisible guy in the sky should be chastising other people for susperstition.

poor paul, hes just an octopus ~
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Here's an idea; leave the octopus alone.

why shouldn't western media made him look stupid, my 5 years nephew knew the Paul thing is a joke (do u believe in octopus??) while the president seriously afraid he can't go heaven because of it. LOL.

I don't know why they put the octopus through all these tests in the first place. It's an octopus, and it has no need for all this attention.

If everyone actually understands math and statistics, then no one would be religious.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    If everyone actually understands math and statistics, then no one would be religious.
    just off the record, theres alot of mathematicians and scientists amongst the jesuits (ie. society of jesus) so clearly understanding math doesn't lead them away from 'religion'...in fact, closer.
    o wilku mowa...♪

This statement calls for the following response:
    click to show/hide spoilers

Einstein! Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post

Einstein! Einstein!
    Einstein's quote

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. "

Post deleted. Wrong thread.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-01-10 at 09:00 PM.

It's all about narrow mindedness. This guy, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, like most Islamic extremists, are very narrow minded people with a very small and rigid perspective of things. Very particular and petty with non-issues, they are like grumpy old men.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad thinking has successfully portrayed himself so much so that now the west in return, has very narrow minded perspective of him. If some other leaders have been echoing a similar statement, western papers may see it in a better light and may have very well label the guy as a level headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bei Rongkun View Post
    why shouldn't western media made him look stupid, my 5 years nephew knew the Paul thing is a joke (do u believe in octopus??) while the president seriously afraid he can't go heaven because of it. LOL.
    When did he say that?

I would really like to read Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's whole speech and see what he actually said. The only quote from the news is “Those who believe in this type of thing cannot be the leaders of the global nations that aspire, like Iran, to human perfection, basing themselves in the love of all sacred values". The others are all the writer's own words, and written in a sarcastic tone.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-01-10 at 10:02 PM.

poor paul might have been so traumatized by such unwanted attention.

maybe he needs Dr. Octopus. =)
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post

Einstein! Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Einstein's quote

You 2 have to pick a much better example than that. Einstein was not religious. He just played that game (like a lot of great minds before and after him) to appeal to those religious zealots. Any scientist would know that religions are based on faith with no evidence to back it up. Hence, 99.75% of scientists are not religious.

Stories from the bible, quran, etc... can not be validated or tested and hence, is not scientific. Science with religion is not science. Religion with science is not religion.

Here is what Einstein really thinks of your imaginary "god" or other deities. A letter that was written by Einstein was discovered long after his death. This is the letter: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ience.religion

Get your facts straight people. Einstein was not religious. Only delusional people believe in things, which can not be proven. Of course, I'm also delusional in this case as I'm speaking logic with people who do not use logic when it comes to your religious beliefs.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 08-07-10 at 08:11 PM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Btw, I would like to point out one thing about Einstein that I disagree with. He believed in a lot of things and that's a mistake. Why? Because, even if 100% of the human population believed the Earth was flat, it does not make it true.

Answers can only be gotten through scientific means. Einstein believed in a static universe.
    Of course, his own scientific calculations told him that the universe wasn't static. As a result,
    he called it his greatest blunder when in fact, it should've been one of his greatest triumphs. It wasn't till Hubble came along where he proved that the universe was in fact expanding and not static like Einstein had believed. You see, just cause one of the greatest minds of our time believed it, it does not make it true. It was Einstein's own scientific methods that gave the real answer to him about the universe, yet he thought he messed up due to his belief in a static universe. To believe or not to believe is stupid. That's like a jury judging a suspect of murder base on no scientific evidence (eg. dna), but just on how the murder suspect looks or acts.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

Get your facts straight people.
    It's a fact that Einstein quoted this quote.

Last edited by kidd; 08-07-10 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It's a fact that Einstein quoted this quote.

It might be a fact that he quoted that at an earlier age. But, with age and experience, he wrote the letter below. Einstein was actually not religious even though he was brought up in a religious background. He might've been at an early age, but he definitely changed his thinking. Hell, even I was religious when I was a stupid little kid. But then, I grew up and got educated. I would also like to add, that
    Einstein might have quoted that to appeal to the religious zealots like I stated earlier. He probably doesn't even believe in what he quoted (if in fact that was what he quoted cause there's no source to verify it).

It's also a fact that Einstein wrote this (there's plenty of sources to confirm the validity of this letter below was in fact written by Einstein):

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

It's stupid in this day in age for anyone to be religious. Of course, most people are religious because they don't want to face realty and finds comfort in religion. But, a lie is after all just still a lie.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 08-08-10 at 12:04 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!