Default Gen Con

Did anyone go to Gen Con this year?

Has anyone ever been to a Gen Con?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Did anyone go to Gen Con this year?

Has anyone ever been to a Gen Con?
    I didn't realize you were a RPG player.

I've always wanted to go to Gen Con when I was in high school but as I become older Milwaukee, Wisconsin seems less and less of a location I would want to visit in my free time. I understand it's been moved to Indianapolis in recent years.

DnD 4th edition has also really killed my interest in PnP RPGs. I'm now fully relegated to an old curmudgeon reminiscing how great 3.5 was, and how 4th edition is just soulless uninspired dumbed down mockery that defiles the rich traditions that have come before it. 3.5 and certain Palladium titles are probably the only games that still capture the imagination for me, and that I would consider playing. Given that, and rather disappointing experiences at Arisia, Gen Con just doesn't have the magical draw that it used to.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I didn't realize you were a RPG player.
    I'm not a gamer and I've never been to GenCon, but I do work down the street from the convention in Indianapolis and know many locals who went. It looks like a great event. I might go with some friends in the future just to check out the scene and the costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I'm not a gamer and I've never been to GenCon, but I do work down the street from the convention in Indianapolis and know many locals who went. It looks like a great event. I might go with some friends in the future just to check out the scene and the costumes.
    Ah, I see.

If it's anything like Arisia, I'd wager you will see a bewildering array of vendors selling all sorts of stuff from books, medieval weapons, works of art, costume jewerly, etc., sleep deprived people who haven't showered in days sweating in their costumes and some truly odd games where people LARP dogs... Which is not to say that it won't be an interesting experience -just a potentially disturbing one.

btw: What's the ticket price at the door? Somewhere in the $50-$100 range I expect?
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

27 days till Gen Con 2011.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.gencon.com/2011_indy_header.jpg')

I"ve never been to GenCon myself, but I have some friends who go regularly. They always have a great time. I'd love to go myself but it's just too expensive with having to fly to Indianapolis. But if you live there you should definitely give it a try.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。