Thread: Ah Bik - DGSD character with untapped storytelling potential?

Default Ah Bik - DGSD character with untapped storytelling potential?

Ah Bik was a fairly minor character in DGSD. Nevertheless, with a charming personality and being reasonably capable in different aspects of wuxia heroine competency, she seemed to have a great amount of potential as a more fully developed character had Jin Yong planned to use her that way. We know that her counterpart Ah Chu became a *very* important character in the story (due to her connection to Kiu Fung), but Ah Bik seemed to be a character whose potential was never fully utilized in DGSD.

Better that she never got to know Qiao Feng better, she might have ended up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Better that she never got to know Qiao Feng better, she might have ended up dead.
    Ah Bik's father wasn't the notorious Prince Deun Jing Tsun, who got framed as the "Leader Big Brother" who was the source of Kiu Fung's troubles.

i enjoyed the limited character development ...

they already had a lot going on in DGSD. it was hard to keep up with who slept with who already.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

As is, she is a useless character. There are other minor characters I want to know more before her.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    As is, she is a useless character. There are other minor characters I want to know more before her.
    It's true that she's sort of useless in DGSD. The story would not have suffered at all if there had been no Ah Bik in DGSD.

Which makes the way that Jin Yong portrayed her especially strange, because he seemed to invest a good amount of creativity in making a very viable character...only to not really use her much at all.

In many ways, Ah Bik was "ready made" to be the female protagonist of another wuxia story, despite her relative uselessness in DGSD. I quite like the character, actually.

Actually, Ah Bik can become an important character if JY wants.

Remember Xiaxia princess's servant. Athena has informed us that she becomes DY's concubine/wife in the latest edition. How's on earth one will expect that? Maybe Ah Bik can too.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Actually, Ah Bik can become an important character if JY wants.

Remember Xiaxia princess's servant. Athena has informed us that she becomes DY's concubine/wife in the latest edition. How's on earth one will expect that? Maybe Ah Bik can too.
    If I remember correctly, Ah Bik's final fate in DGSD was to spend the rest of her life caring for the deranged Mo Yung F'uk somewhere in Dali, correct? She remained his faithful maid, despite the fact that his Happy Meal had lost its entire package of french fries.