Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8 HK tourists killed in Phillipine

Someone should tell them it's very disrespectful to the family of the deceased and the deceased itself as well as very disturbing to the deceased.

However high is the adrenaline or whatsoever, I wouldn't let them do that to my family if the mishap happened to my kin. If I was at the media, those "exposers" are in big trouble. BIG trouble!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-27-10 at 05:32 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Actually, did HK had any personal vendetta with Philiy?
    No, but racist attitudes towards Filipinos by Chinese aren't unknown. Some of the Chinese in Hong Kong look upon Filipinos as indentured laborers at best and an "inferior race" at worst. I remember seeing ads for Filipino maids and cooks in my parents' entertainment magazines and feeling embarrassed by the ads, and feeling bad for the Filipinos that *that* was how the Chinese viewed them.

Not something Chinese should be proud of, of course, but such attitudes do exist in Hong Kong and the rest of China.

All that being said, the Philippine government must make an effort to do better...not just for people from other countries who visit the Philippines, but for the country's own people. People in any country deserve to know that they live in a stable, orderly country wherein the government has their backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    No, but racist attitudes towards Filipinos by Chinese aren't unknown. Some of the Chinese in Hong Kong look upon Filipinos as indentured laborers at best and an "inferior race" at worst. I remember seeing ads for Filipino maids and cooks in my parents' entertainment magazines and feeling embarrassed by the ads, and feeling bad for the Filipinos that *that* was how the Chinese viewed them.

Not something Chinese should be proud of, of course, but such attitudes do exist in Hong Kong and the rest of China.

All that being said, the Philippine government must make an effort to do better...not just for people from other countries who visit the Philippines, but for the country's own people. People in any country deserve to know that they live in a stable, orderly country wherein the government has their backs.
    Hmmm. At least in Singapore, some Filipy who received decent enough (not necessarily high but useful/right) education can get a white-collar job in Sg, and they are not only labors or maids but widely spread among the better paid professions.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    What the media in the Philippines, Hong Kong and China are saying:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11084273
    Great article! Certainly offered various and differing perspectives on the issue. So it seems even the Philippines is aware of the EPIC FAIL of the law enforcement in this matter...somehow it's not surprising really.

I'm afraid that making this matter an race issue is *in all honesty* inevitable. Let's be real y'all, Asians always hate on other Asians the most. Don't know why and fail to see the advantage of doing so...but such is life.

The Philippines is not the only country that enjoys looking at grisly photos of the abused and dead...sadly they do it too in Cambodia. People get a sick pleasure out of seeing such things and of course, that's what sells. One thing that they love to do in Cambodia is sensationalize rape cases with the victims' and perpetrators' pictures to serve as cautionary tales for women, young and old, the consequences of traveling alone....even if to the market. Eh.

I feel terrible for the overseas Filipinos in HK who may have been affected by this. I remember when that Korean kid *refuses to remember or look up his name* murdered his Virginia Tech cohorts, a lot of Asian American students, regardless of race, were looked upon with suspicion.

And remember SARS? Dang, if you were Asian...you'd best make sure that you didn't cough or wheeze in public.
    I like me.

Same result, most likely. I don't think those Filipino cops didn't want to save those hostages; they just weren't properly trained or equipped to get the job done right.
    Agree. People can blame the Filipino cops being useless, but they should not pull out the race card.

I'm replying to this topic on another forum, and I think someone just told me the exact opposite of what Ken said and then accused me of believing myself that HKers were superior to Filipinos. It was not my intention to make it a race issue [that's what I said from the VERY beginning!]...but sometimes that's just what happens when people have to interact with each other from day to day.
    I like me.

It will be the same frustration if Taiwan, China, Singapore or Japan did the same thing.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Honestly after reading all the comments and news reports, I already had a picture in my head on how the events on that fatal evening took place. I refuse to look at any videos on this incident because I have always been a huge supporter of the phillippines and to see this would only piss me off more. I can understand HKers feelings and hope that the victims families will stay strong and try to move on with their lives.

The HKers has a right to be angry but to bash the whole Filipino race is unacceptable. Innocent Filipinos who works in Hong Kong are now losing their jobs due to the hijacking incident and they had nothing to do with this whatsoever. Blame the screw up SWAT team in the phillippines not the whole filipino human race.

And for those who were taking pictures and smiling like they were at some type of party then their judging day will come.

Quote Originally Posted by babygil View Post
    Honestly after reading all the comments and news reports, I already had a picture in my head on how the events on that fatal evening took place. I refuse to look at any videos on this incident because I have always been a huge supporter of the phillippines and to see this would only piss me off more. I can understand HKers feelings and hope that the victims families will stay strong and try to move on with their lives.
    I may suggest that you look at those videos so as to empathise with the HKers. You may than give up on defending the Filipinos

The HKers has a right to be angry but to bash the whole Filipino race is unacceptable. Innocent Filipinos who works in Hong Kong are now losing their jobs due to the hijacking incident and they had nothing to do with this whatsoever. Blame the screw up SWAT team in the phillippines not the whole filipino human race.

And for those who were taking pictures and smiling like they were at some type of party then their judging day will come.
    (In bold) I don't disagree with you but I feel heartedly for the angered HKers as well as the pain of the kins/families left behind by the deceased. The HKers killed are innocent as well. The hijacker had a problem with his government and its their problem? Since when?

Are you able to explain why the Filipinos have such tradition of displaying opened coffins to the public/media? Do they have/know respect for the deceased? Let alone having the decency to understand the Chinese tradition, which is common sense.

I read the papers this morning (yesterday's "Night" paper), and it appears that the deceased hijacker has been "treated like a hero", his funeral is usually grand. What's that about?!? Hey, that bastard is a criminal!

Are you able to explain why the Filipinos have such tradition of displaying opened coffins to the public/media? Do they have/know respect for the deceased? Let alone having the decency to understand the Chinese tradition, which is common sense.
    A one-off incident does not make it a tradition. Actually, I don't even know if that's their custom. Do you?

I read the papers this morning (yesterday's "Night" paper), and it appears that the deceased hijacker has been "treated like a hero", his funeral is usually grand. What's that about?!? Hey, that bastard is a criminal!
    I think it's something personal against their own government and authorities, instead of being a cheer for the HKers' deaths.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 08-29-10 at 10:58 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

A one-off incident does not make it a tradition. Actually, I don't even know if that's their custom. Do you?
    Well, FYI, it is not only once. I had asked a friend of mine (whom is also unclear such practice is a tradition) if their intention of doing that, and it happens that such practice is NOT only done this once, that explains why I wonder if it is a tradition. And, how could I answer you if it was clearly a question of mine?

I think it's something personal against their own government and authorities, instead of being a cheer for the HKers' deaths.
    I don't know if they had realise, or were they even aware, that while they're holding a grand funeral for the hijacker (as we assume it's to piss their auth. or gov off), nearly the whole of HK is putting up the black ribbon for the death of the innocent fellow HKers.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-29-10 at 11:12 PM.

Do you have any evidence to back this up other than just an advertisement??

Quote Originally Posted by babygil View Post

This is politically correct but not human instinct. Given what had happened. Some HKers will definitely retaliated against some Filipinos in HK.

it appears that the deceased hijacker has been "treated like a hero", his funeral is usually grand. What's that about?!? Hey, that bastard is a criminal!
    This is what bother me the most. How could they worship a mass murderer?? If I were a HKer, I would feel insulted. Some HKers will definitely retaliated by treating Filipinos in HK like shit. I am not saying it is a right thing to do, but it will happen.

Well, FYI, it is not only once. I had asked a friend of mine (whom is also unclear such practice is a tradition) if their intention of doing that, and it happens that such practice is NOT only done this once, that explains why I wonder if it is a tradition. And, how could I answer you if it was clearly a question of mine?
    You are not asking if it is a tradition. You clearly stated it is their tradition. What you are wondering is why they have such a tradition.

Maybe you misexpressed yourself over here:
    Are you able to explain why the Filipinos have such tradition of displaying opened coffins to the public/media?
    This is politically correct but not human instinct. Given what had happened. Some HKers will definitely retaliated against some Filipinos in HK.
    I find that an overreaction, and possibly a venting outlet for their underlying racism. It would be mildly understandable if the HKers who fired them were family to those who were killed... but most likely they weren't. So why fire them? The Filipino workers were not the ones who pulled the trigger, nor were they the ones involved in the rescue flop.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 08-29-10 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yes, indeed. I feel after all the disappointing "SWAT" team drama plus the hijack itself, it is trully hard for the HKers to face/treat the fellow Filipino with a rational mind. Hence, the fellow HKers wishes to take justice in their hands.

This is what bother me the most. How could they worship a mass murderer?? If I were a HKer, I would feel insulted. Some HKers will definitely retaliated by treating Filipinos in HK like shit. I am not saying it is a right thing to do, but it will happen.
    I'm not sure if you could call that worship. I just feel disgusted that they don't even have the least empathy and go ahead with that grand funeral for the hijacker. Well, maybe we should also consider that the Hijacker didn't take all 8 lives, a few deaths were caused by their "Sorry WAT" team.

You are not asking if it is a tradition. You clearly stated it is their tradition. What you are wondering is why they have such a tradition.

Maybe you misexpressed yourself over here:
    Ok, I'll make it clear. As it is definitely practiced more than once (as we consider other events), I worded it as "tradition". As a frequent reader of news, I thought you'd have know such "practice" better, really.

I find that an overreaction, and possibly a venting outlet for their underlying racism. It would be mildly understandable if the HKers who fired them were family to those who were killed... but most likely they weren't. So why fire them? The Filipino workers were not the ones who pulled the trigger, nor were they the ones involved in the rescue flop.
    Not all people only care about people who are related to them in blood. When people care, they have definitely view this incident on a perspective that a bystander hasn't perceived.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-29-10 at 11:56 PM.

As a frequent reader of news, I thought you'd have know such "practice" better, really.
    LOL

That's a silly assumption, and I suppose it's because 1) you are not a frequent news reader, 2) you know nothing of my reading habits and activities.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 08-30-10 at 12:19 AM.

LOL

That's a silly assumption, and I assume it's because 1) you are not a frequent news reader, 2) you know nothing of my reading habits and activities.
    That may be a silly assumption as much as you'd love to perceive (if it makes you feel better, it's fine). Uh, how would I go into details like your reading habits and activities? Not that I would bother. As you've projected yourself to be so updated with news (whether or not it's a job requirement), that was the impression you've left me. And hence, my assumption.

If you can't replied to my last line in the previous post, don't bother to reply to me, really. Because that's the crucial line, and it still stays within topic, at least.

Sigh $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/40.gif') I would reply if there's something more related to the topic. I have no desire to play along with the less importance outside this topic.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-30-10 at 12:59 AM.

If you can't replied to my last line in the previous post, don't bother to reply to me, really. Because that's the crucial line, and it still stays within topic, at least.

Sigh I would reply if there's something more related to the topic. I have no desire to play along with the less importance outside this topic.
    It's your right to want to bother with what I reply or not, but also my right to reply whatever I want. It's not like you are going to get penalised for any of my transgressions (if the mod gets pissed off at my off-topicness). If you can't take the heat, don't enter the kitchen in the first place.

And because you are such a cop, I will post something relevant to the topic.

My Pinoy friend came online (finally! Lightning struck her internet cable box) and I asked her about the phototaking.

This is what she says: The media is allowed to take the photos but they are NOT allowed to publish them or show it on TV. If they do, they have to cover the deceased e.g. pixelisation.

She also told me of an employer who said this to a Pinoy worker, "The Philippines is a land of slaves."

Go figure.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 08-30-10 at 06:28 AM.

1) It's your right to want to bother with what I reply or not, but also my right to reply whatever I want. It's not like you are going to get penalised for any of my transgressions (if the mod gets pissed off at my off-topicness). If you can't take the heat, 2) don't enter the kitchen in the first place.
    ?????? 1) I really won't bother if your not replying to me. I would reply to you if it is within topic when am in your quote. I have decided to make a clear end (before it really gets heated up) when I read your baiting post which has nothing much to reply besides clarification. See post: #36.

2) Meh, I should wait Babygil's reply rather than Babygil-wannabe's reply, eh?

My Pinoy friend came online ..........

This is what she says: The media is allowed to take the photos but they are NOT allowed to publish them or show it on TV. If they do, they have to cover the deceased e.g. pixelisation.
    E.g. Pixelisation? Which parts? So what if they do pixelisation and all? Did they get approval from the families of the deceased to do that? By the word disrespectful, it do refer to both the family and the deceased. Did you also ask your friend whether "Rest In Peace" exists in the Flips' dictionary?

Is it also a practice of theirs to take pictures (with smiley faces) at a site where man-made tragedy occurred??

On the coffin thing, I can't comprehend if anyone would like their "late" families to be treated that way.

So, for example they can't publish at all, why would the media take photos if they can't publish? Did you ask her why exactly they allowed the Hijacker to die like a "hero"?

She also told me of an employer who said this to a Pinoy worker, "The Philippines is a land of slaves."
    What do you want me to figure from this?

Noting the discrimination? The worker has my sympathy. Damn the employer for generalization?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 08-30-10 at 08:54 AM.

I don't condone the killings and I do think the police really messed it up.

But I think the HK media and population are bullying the Phillipinos and over-reacting. I don't see them getting so worked up over the poor, sick and dying in their own backyard.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!