Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8 HK tourists killed in Phillipine

I am a filipino and I'm deeply saddened by this tragic event. I can understand the hatred towards my race after what happened but people shouldn't hate towards my whole race. I blame our government, they are extremely corrupt and crooked and this tragedy is proof of their incompetence. I believe nothing will change in this country, the graft and corruption is too rampant and the poor will always suffer and remain ignorant to what is really happening. I hope things will change and surely it will someday, but I don't think I will see it in this lifetime. To those things you see wrong (ex. picture posing, pics of dead people) I won't justify them for they are wrong but I have to say there's more to it than you think. Don't always judge through what you see in the media, things are different if you see the bigger picture.

I'm listening to a discussion in this topic. I agree with one point. Maybe some Filipinos reacted like this (i.e. flippantly) because they face these incidents very often. So, it's kinda jaded. That commentator feel more bad for the Filipinos than HK people because they live under such this government and police daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    I am a filipino and I'm deeply saddened by this tragic event. I can understand the hatred towards my race after what happened but people shouldn't hate towards my whole race. I blame our government, they are extremely corrupt and crooked and this tragedy is proof of their incompetence. I believe nothing will change in this country, the graft and corruption is too rampant and the poor will always suffer and remain ignorant to what is really happening. I hope things will change and surely it will someday, but I don't think I will see it in this lifetime. To those things you see wrong (ex. picture posing, pics of dead people) I won't justify them for they are wrong but I have to say there's more to it than you think. Don't always judge through what you see in the media, things are different if you see the bigger picture.
    Thanks for presenting the Filipino side of view.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-01-10 at 01:56 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Well, just for you, I would apologise for making the post where my emotions were put to test.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Well, just for you, I would apologise for making the post where my emotions were put to test.
    No apology needed , I'm just pointing out that the livelihood of the people here in the Philippines is very much different from those of progressive countries and as such our level of education is not as high as people from lets say US or HK. I'm sure other countries are facing as much hardship as our own but you get the idea. Politicians here has a low salary rate yet they can afford properties worth millions of US dollars, I wonder where the money came from, certainly not their own.

I am a filipino and I'm deeply saddened by this tragic event. I can understand the hatred towards my race after what happened but people shouldn't hate towards my whole race.
    Just as a matter of clarification for everybody...

The Filipinos are not a "race"....nor are the Chinese, Japanese, English, Italians, Russians, Kenyans...you name it. In fact, most cultural anthropologists have discarded the 19th Century concept of "race" as inaccurate and irrelevant to their field of study.

The Philippines is, however, a nation that has a distinct culture. That culture is hardly homogeneous: in addition to the aboriginal culture that has occupied the Philippine Islands for countless generations, the modern Filipino culture features numerous Chinese, Spanish, and American influences. It's an internally diverse culture with a complex history.

Post-Imperialism, modern Philippines history was dominated (until 1986) by the Marcos dictatorship and since then, a struggle to maintain a viable civic society. It's still a work in progress, as are many of the societies of Southeast Asia who have attained a measure of stability for only about twenty years.

Thanks for the clarification, Ken!

What would be the rightful word instead of "race"?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Ken!

What would be the rightful word instead of "race"?
    "Nation" and "culture" would work, but be aware that these two are separate (though often related) things. A "nation" is a political entity as well as a cultural one, whereas "culture" is separate from politics. For example, the Philippine nation would include all people and territories governed by the body of laws established and enforced by the Philippine government, but the Filipino culture would extend far beyond the Philippine Islands to all people who share that heritage and history, regardless of wherever they might physically live and whichever nations that they might owe their allegiance. Filipino-American citizens, for example, would identify the United States as their nation, but Filipino as their cultural heritage.

Post 1997, I wonder why HongKongers still continue hire Filipinos as maids. Why don't they hire maids from mainland China?
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-01-10 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Post 1997, I wonder why HongKongers still continue hire Filipinos as maids. Why don't they hire maids from mainland China?

The REAL reason?

Its NOT allowed by the relevant HK authorities. Same for Singapore (NOT allowed).

Why do the authorities not allow it?

To prevent social upheaval.

In these relatively wealthy and ethnic Chinese dominated societies, imagine what kind of impact an entire horde of young female maids will have on the men.
    Last edited by CC; 09-01-10 at 01:05 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Agree with CC. Many chinese wives don't feel safe with chinese girls as maids. They afraid that chinese girls will entice their husbands away.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    The REAL reason?

Its NOT allowed by the relevant HK authorities. Same for Singapore (NOT allowed).

Why do the authorities not allow it?

To prevent social upheaval.

In these relatively wealthy and ethnic Chinese dominated societies, imagine what kind of impact an entire horde of young female maids will have on the men.
    I don't know the law in Hong Kong. However, if that is the law of the land, then I would say it is stupid law. The law should require the opposite. That is hire chinese citizens first, then people from other countries if they unable find any qualified chinese citizens for the job. Why hire people from other countries, while your citizens need the job? As for sexual affair, young maids from other countries are just as capable as young chinese maids.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Agree with CC. Many chinese wives don't feel safe with chinese girls as maids. They afraid that chinese girls will entice their husbands away.
    These chinese wives are stupid and ignorant. I am not saying young female maids from other countries are bad, but I don't see that they are better than young female chinese maids. Again, the law is stupid.

I am not saying young female maids from other countries are bad, but I don't see that they are better than young female chinese maids. Again, the law is stupid.
    I'm as curious as TC is. Except, I don't agree with his sentence structures. That is, how come young attractive girls from China are seen as a threat but young attractive girls from the Philippines [or wherever] are not seen "as likewise threatening." If one is young and beautiful, regardless of ethnicity, wouldn't she still be a threat?

There are alot of beautiful girls in the Philippines too though they may not fit the standard of ideal beauty in China [whatever that is] but one can still look and see the that they are obviously not ugly.
    I like me.

I blame ethno-centrism (read: racism). Sure, your Chinese husband may have a fling with your Filipino maid, but will he leave you to marry her? Very unlikely. A Chinese maid? Very possibly.
    Last edited by Dirt; 09-01-10 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I blame ethno-centrism (read: racism). Sure, your Chinese husband may have a fling with your Filipino maid, but will he leave you to marry her? Very unlikely. A Chinese maid? Very possibly.
    Oh. Oh, well I guess that makes sense. It's silly, but not impossible certainly to believe that some people hold such beliefs.
    I like me.

I don't know the law in Hong Kong. However, if that is the law of the land, then I would say it is stupid law. The law should require the opposite.
    I love how if it's a law you agree with, then that's the law, you can't change it, if you don't like it, don't go there.

But if it's a law you don't agree with, then it becomes a stupid law and should be changed.
    hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I love how if it's a law you agree with, then that's the law, you can't change it, if you don't like it, don't go there.
    Sure. I have been saying it all along.

But if it's a law you don't agree with, then it becomes a stupid law and should be changed.
    hahahahaha.
    Sure, I called it "stupid law" and I stated my opinion but I did not demand the government to change the law. Afterall, it's none of my business.

Check out this website.
    http://www.filipinaheart.com/
    I wonder why all these filipina girls have to find guys from oversea. Can't they find local guys?? Anyway, based on the pictures, some of them are quite attractive.

Dude, let me give you the situation in Singapore (where I come from).

#1 - Due to closer cultural factors (language, culture etc), it is easier for a Chinese girl to hook up with a Chinese man.

#2 - Due to pure statistics (Chinese population size), there will be more pretty faces from China to choose from as a maid.

#3 - There are already a LOT of sex workers from China coming over using tourist visas or student passes as a cover. If you allow maids, then these Pimps/Traffickers will abuse the system and arrange for lots of 'pretty' maids to come here on the pretext of being a 'maid' but they will end up in the sex trade.

#4 The Chinese girls are more agressive when it come to this stuff.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I advocate a minimum age of 50 or 55 for Chinese maids in Malaysia. If Malaysian wives cannot compete with a 50-55 year old maid from China then they need to look in the mirror, or pee in a puddle and have good long stare in the reflection. Damn Ng Yen Yen and her insecure support group - it's a nightmare trying to teach Filipino and Indo maids to cook decent Chinese homecooked meals.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Dude, let me give you the situation in Singapore (where I come from).

#1 - Due to closer cultural factors (language, culture etc), it is easier for a Chinese girl to hook up with a Chinese man.
    If both the man and woman are single, there is nothing wrong with that. Single singaporean men have the right to fall in love with whoever they want, it's none of anyone else business.

#2 - Due to pure statistics (Chinese population size), there will be more pretty faces from China to choose from as a maid.
    Being beautiful is good thing. There is nothing wrong of being a young and beautiful maid.

#3 - There are already a LOT of sex workers from China coming over using tourist visas or student passes as a cover. If you allow maids, then these Pimps/Traffickers will abuse the system and arrange for lots of 'pretty' maids to come here on the pretext of being a 'maid' but they will end up in the sex trade.
    I think they are victims of the organized crime. I believe they are being force into the profession and doing it willing for money.

#4 The Chinese girls are more agressive when it come to this stuff.
    I think the opposite is true. Chinese girls are more social conservative so they are less likely to sacrifice their body for monetary gain. Girls from other cultures lack the confucian values that the chinese girls have.