Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stephen Hawking: God was not needed to create the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    My uncle is a doctor, and a very wise one. To all my scientific questions about which food is good/bad he smiles and sagely replies, "everything in moderation".

He probably knows that I'm looking for a particular answer to satisfy my culinary desires, and not really interested in truth. =) BUTTER!!!!
    Heh. There have been some mornings when I've sat there paralyzed with a knife in my hand as I contemplate butter vs. margarine.

And you people think that Cheung Mo Gei is wishy-washy...

Back to the topic. First, I do not know physics. Is Prof Hawking saying that from the law of physics, earth is created from "nothing" or from some elements?

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I work with them.
    Ever thought of helping them become more physically similar to Hawking?

Don't need to. Most of them look like nerds (i.e super fat, or super awkward skinny).
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Yeah, but how good is a back breaker slam resulting in a wheelchair bound life sentence.
    They'd be alot less vocal unless they can afford Hawking's voice machine.

Religions are and have always been dangerous and completely outdated for today's society. People who believe in delusions have nothing more than a mental illness, which most will not admit to. I've come to a realization that the so called "normal" people are actually the ones with the mental illnesses. Why, because they are the many.

That's not saying that non-religious people don't have mental illnesses, of course we do. However, we know when we have a delusion (for the most part). Anyway, I'll get a lot of negative feed back for even associating religious people (even if they're just slightly religious) with mental illnesses, but when you want to believe in a delusion, what else do you call it? What sickens me is that these delusional people isn't happy enough to keep their delusions to themselves, but they have to promote their mental illness onto others so that we, too, would share in their delusions (there's a couple of posters in here that fits that bill) and have the same mental illness.

Seems like not many people will accept the 100% correct answer of "I/We don't know", but they will accept a made up answer of "god did it" even though all signs point to humans coming out with the idea and phrase of "god doing it".

Society/Civilizations advance because of science. We regress because of religions. Anyway, here's a good video with a little explanation on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYRn...watch_response
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    Seems like not many people will accept the 100% correct answer of "I/We don't know", but they will accept a made up answer of "god did it" even though all signs point to humans coming out with the idea and phrase of "god doing it".
    You are generally correct, although you are saying that you're 100% sure that God did not do it. We all practice our faiths, and subjective delusions, to a certain degree, don't we?

Butter for me, margarine for you.

But how do you that "God doesn't exist" isn't an illusion or delusion?

Also, a really dumb question, but isn't science based on hypotheses?

The freedom to having faith should be basic human right, so really, is there any reason why you should feel "sickened"?
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    I dont really see anything wrong with his ET statements either. On a pure mathematical level, it actually makes a lot of sense. Though, I don't think he was saying that he had "scientific proof" of any known existence but rather just entertained the idea.

Still, I don't think he has anything to gain by "controversial" topics. From a media standpoint, he is the one that brings attention to the topics...not the other way around. And I would imagine that the only purpose of him brining attention to the topics is if he were truely interested in them.
    I also don't get the big fuss over his ET statements. I was in another forum where they were bashing him left and right...and I was horrified. I thought he made perfect sense. If we could exist, why can't others?

As for his statement this time...I need to think over it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by fridaythe13th View Post
    Also, a really dumb question, but isn't science based on hypotheses?
    Science isn't based on hypothesis, per say. Rather it is based on "thought process". It's faith in the process of forming logical conclusions through tangible observations.

That is, in order to "prove" science false, you will have to overturn the "logical thought process" rather than whatever hypothesis or theories that currently exist. Yet, the idea of "proving" is also based upon "logic". Hence, you will end up trying to use "logic" to prove "logic" false...

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I also don't get the big fuss over his ET statements. I was in another forum where they were bashing him left and right...and I was horrified. I thought he made perfect sense. If we could exist, why can't others?

As for his statement this time...I need to think over it some more.
    It was just his opinion on the matter anyways (it's not like he's saying he has solid evidence and proof). Professionals in the same field scorn each other all the time
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 09-08-10 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    Religions are and have always been dangerous and completely outdated for today's society. People who believe in delusions have nothing more than a mental illness, which most will not admit to. I've come to a realization that the so called "normal" people are actually the ones with the mental illnesses. Why, because they are the many.
    the same can be said of people who don't believe in God. They are 'deluded' because 'Satan' had 'removed' their ability to recognize/sense God's presence, hence that is in itself a 'mental illness'. For the rest of us who truly believed, we're still sane, because we have all our 'senses' intact.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    the same can be said of people who don't believe in God. They are 'deluded' because 'Satan' had 'removed' their ability to recognize/sense God's presence, hence that is in itself a 'mental illness'. For the rest of us who truly believed, we're still sane, because we have all our 'senses' intact.
    It's no fun being "sane" in this world. Why do you think there are so many alcoholics and drug abusers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    It's no fun being "sane" in this world. Why do you think there are so many alcoholics and drug abusers?
    says who? how do you know 'we're not having fun'?
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.