View Poll Results: Should we have a big airing-of-grievances thread with each other?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It would clear the air and make for more open and honest communication among us in the future.

7 35.00%
  • No. It'll be a disaster and there will be hurt feelings and friendships ruined.

13 65.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do you think we should have a thread here about what we don't like about each other?

Wait...moderators can mediate stances in private messages? I assume that this is only when someone is being purposefully abusive to another remember right? If such a thing were to happen, then it's understandable why a moderator [authority] would be invited into their discussion. They are private messages after all.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'seeing' line... since you can't really see anyone online.
    I thought he meant that because of the private nature of private messages, LoL, unless a moderator is invited into the discussion between Member A and Member B, then they would have no business or authority to act as a third party mediator. After all, your personal messages are your own, and for your eyes only.

Wait, was that your question?
    I like me.

That's what I meant. If A and B fight and can't resolve the problem on their own, they could ask for the help of one or more moderators to assist in resolving problems. The *Forward* option in the PM is there for people to forward PMs to other people like you can do with email. Mods can thus read the PMs that are exchanged between A and B.

But it's not like A and B aren't mature enough to resolve their problems.And geez, this is a online forum, all the friendships here aren't always considered intimate compared to the relationships and friendship people have with people they see in person and go through real problems together (and develop together). The persona we have online here is just one side to the many sides that make us who we are.

Ah....I'll continue this later, my allergies are killing me.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-09-10 at 01:16 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    That's what I meant. If A and B fight and can't resolve the problem on their own, they could ask for the help of one or more moderators to assist in resolving problems. But it's not like A and B aren't mature enough to resolve their problems. And geez, this is a online forum, all the friendships here aren't always considered intimate compared to the relationships and friendship people have with people they see in person and more frequently. The persona we have online here is just one side to the many sides that make us who we are.

Ah....I'll continue this later, my allergies are killing me.
    I see, I see. Quite possibly, the relationships that we have on this forum [for some of us] are not so profound enough as to survive candid and personal assessments of our online characters and behavior. You are right, for some of us, who we are online is a persona. For others, we are who we are. But another member or third party that does not know us in person wouldn't know which one of the two we are online. ---end response to SS.

To create a potentially hostile environment would certainly bring the issues of online persona vs real person and shallow friendships to the front line. However, it is not the prerogative of the proposed hypothetical thread to create a hostile environment. It could also be fun. We can overlook an unrepresentative persona and flimsy interpersonal relationships when both parties, A and B, agree to take a step back and honestly give fair value to the other's opinion. Though as I have said before, personal tolerance is grossly overestimated in some people and just as underestimated in others.

I am wondering if we are beating a dead horse with the discussion of the pros and cons of the proposed hypothetical thread. Perhaps it is best now to let the votes do the speaking?
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I am wondering if we are beating a dead horse with the discussion of the pros and cons of the proposed hypothetical thread. Perhaps it is best now to let the votes do the speaking?
    May I suggest.....

1) SC should have the final call because this is her forum and she certainly don't want it to turn into a war zone in the end.

2) We should keep up with the discouragement so that people will get the "against" idea better and vote for "NO"

Personally, I think it's best to avoid the possibilities of a drama though it is hard to stay quiet when another starts on you.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 09-09-10 at 01:54 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    May I suggest.....

1) SC should have the final call because this is her forum and she certainly don't want it to turn into a war zone in the end.

2) We should keep up with the discouragement so that people will get the "against" idea better and vote for "NO"

Personally, I think it's best to avoid the possibilities of a drama though it is hard to stay quiet when another starts on you.
    LoL, I would say, "you're so sneaky and underhanded" but that would be an inherent contradiction because you wrote it for all of us to see haha.

But anyway, you're so sneaky and underhanded.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    LoL, I would say, "you're so sneaky and underhanded" but that would be an inherent contradiction because you wrote it for all of us to see haha.

But anyway, you're so sneaky and underhanded.
    Hahahahhaha
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I'll start.

I don't like Ken Cheng because I think that, as man of letters, it's unconscionable that he hasn't read any of the novels that we talk about in the Wuxia forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I'll start.

I don't like Ken Cheng because I think that, as man of letters, it's unconscionable that he hasn't read any of the novels that we talk about in the Wuxia forum.
    Premature, Dennis. We don't decide whether to do it or not until the end of September, and even if we do decide to go ahead, at least another month will be necessary to set it up.

If it happens at all, I don't see it happening any earlier than November at the soonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    even if we do decide to go ahead, at least another month will be necessary to set it up.

If it happens at all, I don't see it happening any earlier than November at the soonest.
    Why is there a need for one month? unless you are setting up a database. Will it be something like that:
    Choose the members you do not like:
    1. Ken
    2. Kidd
    3. wkeej
    4. Han Solo
    5. . . .

For 1. Ken you have chosen, choose the reasons you do not like about him/her:
    1. aaa
    2. bbb
    3. ccc
    n. nnn

For xx. xxx you have chosen, choose the reasons you do not like about him/her:
    1. aaa
    2. bbb
    3. ccc
    n. nnn

Well, the end of September has come and gone, and judging from the poll, it looks like we aren't doing this.

We'll never really know if it's disaster averted or opportunity lost.

Amen! My prayers got answered.

Premature, doesn't count, whatever but I still want to say I don't like Ken's hating on poor YG and XLN.

Check out this thread. Let's participate to create more lovin' in spcnet.

Name one thing you DO like about your fellow SPCNETie
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩