Thread: Mrs Lee Kuan Yew,Madam Kwa Geok Choo dies at age 89

Default Mrs Lee Kuan Yew,Madam Kwa Geok Choo dies at age 89

Mrs Lee Kuan Yew dies

UPDATED @ 09:23:17 PM 02-10-2010
    October 02, 2010
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/images/uploads/2010/october/02/1002mrslee.jpg')
    SINGAPORE, Oct 2 — Mrs Lee Kuan Yew, the wife of Singapore’s founding father, died today at 5.40 pm at age 89, the Straits Times reported.
    The newspaper quoted a statement from the Singapore Prime Minister’s Office.
    According to the Straits Times, the wake will be held at Sri Temasek, official residence of the Prime Minister on Monday and Tuesday.
    Visitors can pay their last respects from 10am to 5pm on Monday and Tuesday.
    A private funeral will take place on Wednesday at Mandai Crematorium, said the PMO.
    In May and June 2008, Mrs Lee (picture) suffered a series of stroke and was bedridden and unable to speak until her recent demise.
    Born Kwa Geok Choo in 1921, Mrs Lee is the wife of Singapore’s Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew and mother of the city-state’s current prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong.
    A Queen’s Scholar at Cambridge University in the 1940s, she was also was one of the partners in law firm, Lee & Lee.
    Lee Kuan Yew, 87, the architect of modern Singapore, has been in hospital since Wednesday for a chest infection.
    In an unusually frank interview last month, Lee said his wife’s illness was one of the hardest things for him to face.
    “What to do? What else can I do?” he told the New York Times. “I can’t break down. Life has got to go on. I try to busy myself, but from time to time in idle moments, my mind goes back to the happy days we were up and about together.”
    “She understands when I talk to her, which I do every night,” he added. “She keeps awake for me; I tell her about my day’s work, read her favourite poems.”
    “I told her, ‘I would try and keep you company for as long as I can.’ That’s life. She understood.”
    But he also said: “I’m not sure who’s going first, whether she or me.”
    “I wanted someone my equal, not someone who was not really grown up and needed looking after. And I was not likely to find another girl who was my equal and shared my interests,” Lee wrote in the first volume of his memoirs, The Singapore Story.
    The couple’s younger son, Lee Hsien Yang, ran Singapore Telecommunications, the country’s biggest company, for 12 years before becoming chairman of property and beverages conglomerate Fraser & Neave.
    Their daughter, Lee Wei Ling, is a director at the country’s National Neuroscience Institute.
    Link
    http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/w...kuan-yew-dies/

My Deepest condolence to MM Lee .

Could be a release for her... since she's been invalid for at least two years now...
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Old Man Lee and his wife look so cute together. I went "Awww......" when Madam Kwa said "I thought he (Lee) was a handsome young man when I saw first him." and Old Man Lee "LOL".
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

RIP, Mrs Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Old Man Lee and his wife look so cute together. I went "Awww......" when Madam Kwa said "I thought he (Lee) was a handsome young man when I saw first him." and Old Man Lee "LOL".
    And his horror when she beat him in economics class. LOL
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."