View Poll Results: Are Person A's beliefs justified?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Person A is more talented, had to struggle more, and had bigger achievements.

1 9.09%
  • No. Person A is being needlessly petty and mean-spirited.

10 90.91%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    As for cricket, I know next to nothing about it. Tendulkin might look like an idiot, but if that's how he felt, who can disagree with him. His argument though would have to be that Ponting is worthy of praise back in his day, but in this day and age, he's not that great. I'm not really focused on what people would think of him if he were to trivialise people. Because to hell with what other people think. I'm concerned about is can he be internally consistent, and back himself up if challenged.
    Oh, sorry, should have clarified. Both Ponting and Tendulkar are still playing today - Tendulkar for India, while Ponting is Australian captain. Tendulkar could very well believe that Ponting doesn't deserve praise because he "only" got 12,000 runs so far, but it would really reflect badly on him as a person...

which kind of leads me to re-look at the question:-

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Question: is Person A morally justified in feeling this way, or is he being needlessly petty and mean?
    While he can, by all means, reserve the right to feel that way, and might not even be wrong as far as numbers are concerned, I personally believe that anyone opting to feel such reaction to a second-best being praised is being needlessly petty and mean. He may be numerically justified, but probably not morally. It's no longer a question of achievement, but of character. To me, anyway.

Person A is a jerk. Person B should ignore Person A. I know a lot of "A" people...know lots of "B" types too. I am superior to both of them. I'm very lucky but never fail to work hard either because you must work hard yourself first...and then let God fill in the blanks if you want to make something of yourself.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    It's not her fault or her problem that a sheep is this dumb.
    prejudice against the mentally-challenged.

you people are so evil!!!! hate joo!!!!
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

As long as one is satisfied with their own effort, what does a Person-A or Person-B matter. There is always someone better than you, there is always someone worse. If you wasted your time thinking about what everyone else was doing, you will probably go insane.
    --=={Grundle}==--

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    As long as one is satisfied with their own effort, what does a Person-A or Person-B matter. There is always someone better than you, there is always someone worse. If you wasted your time thinking about what everyone else was doing, you will probably go insane.
    thats why its so hard to find sane people in this world these days.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Like Guo_Xiang so aptly put, people with personality type A should just smash their heads against a wall and be done with it. They tend to lead pathetic lives anyway (always feeling angry and resentful at others).

If you're truly smart, talented and accomplished, why not focus on making positive contributions to the world instead of channeling all of your energy into spreading negativity and making others feel unworthy?

Unless person B's accomplishments have a direct affect on person A, I'd say s/he needs to take a step back and assess why s/he can't find happiness within her/himself and has to seek it by trampling on B's self-esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    Like Guo_Xiang so aptly put, people with personality type A should just smash their heads against a wall and be done with it. They tend to lead pathetic lives anyway (always feeling angry and resentful at others).

If you're truly smart, talented and accomplished, why not focus on making positive contributions to the world instead of channeling all of your energy into spreading negativity and making others feel unworthy?

Unless person B's accomplishments have a direct affect on person A, I'd say s/he needs to take a step back and assess why s/he can't find happiness within her/himself and has to seek it by trampling on B's self-esteem.
    Yes, exactly.
    I really hate people like Person A. Unfortunately, many of my relatives are belong to that type. The type that really love to put others who are less fortunate to them down to make them feel good. However, there is karma. Some of their children turned out to be among the worst.