Thread: Any wuxia novels for ibooks?

Default Any wuxia novels for ibooks?

I just got my wife an iPad (which I use when she's sleeping) and I love the iBooks app. I've been downloading lots of free stuff, although I can't use the shop since we're not in the US. I couldn't find any Wuxia novels, though - most of the stuff I can get are classics. Does anyone know if the actual shop in the US has wuxia novels for sale? Imagine getting Legend of the Condor Heroes or Lu Xiaofeng series on the iBook to read on a long journey!!

Maybe you can just get the stories in pdf files and read it from there. Assuming that your wife wants to read it in Chinese and people have uploaded it as pdf in chinese.

im using iphone and i download apps (which alot are books and you don't have to read books through 'ibook')

i remember seeing some of those around, it helps if you type a search under itunes apps - you'll probably have more luck if you search in chinese.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Sorry to be a late replier, but I just read Foxs .pdf of the entire Condor Trilogy on my Kindle. I would assume you could do the same on your iPad. I have to say it was more satisfying than reading in the forums since you could feel the pace a little more as pages go by rather than watching howfar you have moved on a scrollbar. I would like to see if anyone else has translations neatly formatted like those.

I agree with missouri, although I don't like reading the pdf file itself with Kindle. I converted the condor trilogy's pdf file into Amazon kindle format and read them with kindle (Amazon has instructions on how to do this). It works very well. You could download the kindle reader in iPad and do the same thing. Or perhaps ibook has similar feature

Following the Kindle route, I looked in the Kindle store on Amazon and it appears there are a couple of Jin Yong titles on the Kindle now. They are showing Semi-gods, Semi-devils, Book and Sword, and Sword of the Yueh Maiden. It says they are all in English, but I would want to verify that before buying. I also want to say that I hope if they are in English, I do not want that to deter anyone in the Translation Forum from continuing the good work. Multiple translations to me are like multiple adaptations, each finds different nuances that others miss.
    Last edited by missouri.slim; 12-02-10 at 08:52 AM.

I finally got to my Kindle to look at the samples. Book and Sword looks pretty readable, but Semi-Gods Semi- Devils has some definite formatting issues. It looks like alll the symbols, i.e. quotation marks, soft returns,etc, have been turned into different symbols. It is one giant block of text with no paragraph separations, unless you care to interpret all the symbols of course.

I wonder if the translator got the permit by Jin Yong and how easy it is to obtain one. If so, I think the condor trilogy translations done in this forum should be commercialized to expand people's exposure on wuxia as well as to reward the hard work of the translators.

I just download a program like sigil (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downloads/list) and use that to make my epub books.
    You can easily cut and paste out the books from the tranlsation forum and into the program and have your own library of epub books of the wuxia novels that you like.

I believe iBook supports ePub format and should be able to import these in pretty easily.
    PDF kinda sucks for ebooks in that it tends to be really slow on a typical ebook reader and the increase font size don't work really well with it. also, sometime different ebook reader intepret pdf pages incorrectly and you will get some 1 off bad pages.

ePub also support various asian languages too if u embed the font within the epub file.
    But the only reader I've seen that support asian languages such as viet and chinese is the sony ereader...kindle and kobo don't support it..not sure about nook.

i went thru and did Smiling Proud Wanderer/State of Divinity epub book and it worked really well. Was gonna go thru and do the condor trilogy one. I would upload it up..but because I stripped out all the translator's name who did the chapter by chapter translations..they might not approve of it..so i just have it for my own personal use.

i've also went thru and made a bunch of the viet books into epub for my dad to read on his sony ereader and he loves it...since he can easily increase the font size to read etc...

PM me if you need help making any epub...i be more than happy to give u some tips or help you out.
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

i believe there's only 2 legally and authorized translated books out by Jin Yong:
    the book and the cauldron by Minford
    and the book and the sword by graham ???

i remember reading a while back that minford was gonna do legend of the condor heroes..but never saw anything out of it...
    although i did heard LOCH was fully translated to French and was authorized by Jin Yong..but i can't read french.
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Single Whip View Post
    I think the condor trilogy translations done in this forum should be commercialized to expand people's exposure on wuxia as well as to reward the hard work of the translators.
    With this I would wholeheartedly agree. Comparing the quality I see in the forums here to what I saw in the samples from the Kindle store, it is not hard to say that the people here can produce a better product using what is scattered around the forum and a little bit of work.

The only problem is how broad based the collaboration on these projects is. Didn't LOCH have around 15 translator by the time it was done? Then a few translators will use a few different transliterations. There would definitely need to be a final editorial look through, but I think it may be worth while if we could get our ducks in a row.

I just use Sigil (a freeware epub editor) to create the first book of A Step into the Past translation that is currently being done in the Wuxia Translation.
    You can download it thru this link: A Step into the Past Book 1

Where is Fox's pdf file located (what is the link?)? It is time consuming to copy and paste individual chapters. I also would like to read on my Hanwang ebook (thinking of buying an ONN Opad, any reviews?). Thanks!

Go to any of foxs postings, it is in his signature. Foxs is currently translating the Deer and Cauldron story in the wuxia translations forum. So you can see his posts there.